My Studio is in danger of collapse, any suggestions?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
I had a similar experience a few years ago.

The first try is a friendly talk, the second an ultimatum. No third tries. I donīt give anyone the power to hold my life hostage anymore.

And thatīs exactly what that guy is doing. Heīs holding all of you hostage.

Get rid of him as fast as you can. Seriously, heīll drag it all down.

Doesnīt matter if he has personal problems, has lost control over alcohol or drugs or has a personality disorder or whatever.

Get him away from the project and team. If you really need him to finish be diplomatic and see if you can manage to keep him around as a freelancer, but do not start a new game or project with him.

Even if you guys become successful with your games, you donīt want this guy around a decade from now.

Just imagine having to distribute or re-invest 5 Million with that guy around

Last edited by CB3D : 09 September 2013 at 03:42 PM.

09 September 2013
he could be burned out and needs 1-2 weeks of actual time off where he doesn't even think about work.

When things start feeling hopeless and that they'll never change, that's when things get bad. It's not fun feeling like there's never-ending piles of work that you're not getting and results from. The fact that he takes what little money he has and then eats at places he can't really afford tells me it's probably a money issue. It's hard to put everything you have into something and not get the results you were hoping for after awhile.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by CB3D: I donīt give anyone the power to hold my life hostage anymore.

This is *so* important if you want to achieve your goals in life. Thanks for that CB3D.

I've been in this difficult position more than once and I've handled it well, and not-so-well - my advice from experience is to let him go and find someone else - he's holding you all back and the longer you procrastinate, the more damaging this will become for you and your team.
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by sentry66: The fact that he takes what little money he has and then eats at places he can't really afford tells me it's probably a money issue.

Iīm sorry to e so harsh on the guy, but that indicates a broader lack of character to me. Not just a symptom of burn-put or money issues.

Live above the standards of your mates when thereīs still no influx of money?

Guyīs an asshole, itīs that simple.

09 September 2013
He has every right to question his involvement, clamming up is another matter.

Reality is you can only go so far before sustain revenue is essential, efforts have to eventually be rewarded with something.

In the game arena, as cluttered as it it becoming, equal part effort has to be added to marketing and promotion as development and programming. We don't link in a world where you can just build a great game and expect is to succeed financially.

Much of my business comes through a diversity of service based work, and often I evaluate whether it is worth investing and getting into the game space. It's a flooded market where too much is given away for free, or required ad dollars to support it. Free games that have ads for other free games ... over abundance of supply, not enough demand = bad business.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

09 September 2013
OP, you should legally establish the ownership of the game and company as fast as you can.

Last edited by CB3D : 09 September 2013 at 03:43 AM.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by CB3D: The really bad thing with people like that is that usually you end up paying the bills, figuratively and literally, for years when they are already happily engaging in their social intoxication in new environments.

You speak the truth, CB3D. My business partner just stopped caring about our company - no replies from phone, e-mail, and of course not stepping into the office. I had to pay all the bills. Turns out he basically shifted attention into creating another business, and didn't even have the guts to tell that to my face - his other business partner did.

Biggest lesson, as mentioned by CB3D, give them only 3 strikes.

09 September 2013
This whole thing is a huge reason I decided to stop pursuing music and switched to CG. With music, your livelihood depends on the other band members not leaving. I got so sick of replacing people and teaching them the set list. It's even worse if you know up front they're just a temporary person, but you don't have many other options at that point.

At least in high school or college, it's mainly just fun and ambitions. No one is going to be living on the street due to money issues. There's no contracts or lawsuits.

The guy might be slowly discovering he's in the wrong field and that uncertainty is depressing him.

09 September 2013
thank you everyone for all your help on this, I wont be able to reply to all of them but I can assure you, I have read thorough every post and have gotten some good advice from each one them.

I'll be giving you guys rep for helping me out.

As for the programmer, he seems to have changed his mind for the time being, he is no longer working at the studio but he says he is working none the less. I guess I'll see what he has accomplished at our weekly meeting on Sunday.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by galacticmuffin: thank you everyone for all your help on this, I wont be able to reply to all of them but I can assure you, I have read thorough every post and have gotten some good advice from each one them.

I'll be giving you guys rep for helping me out.

As for the programmer, he seems to have changed his mind for the time being, he is no longer working at the studio but he says he is working none the less. I guess I'll see what he has accomplished at our weekly meeting on Sunday.

Best wishes for the future, Scott.

Currently working on...HCR #42

09 September 2013
The Mission

Sometimes you have to keep the development going, and in the meanwhile, look for a new programmer or two. While the programmer is important, so is everything else.

There's so much sacrifice to be made, and unfortunately, you don't always succeed.
But one thing you should learn right away is when to change personnel.

Integrity of the group is greater than any one person.

09 September 2013
Talking A wise guy once showed me what to do in this case

A wise guy once showed me what to do in this case.

How to fire/terminate your employees in style by Ari Gold

Watching Ari Gold in Entourage can give you power to front this guy...his methods are very harsh and he often pays for them but he definitely gets the job done.

My take? I'd give him a big challenge and or a big responsibility. If you empower him, it might keep him busy enough and he'll recoup his passion. you know him more than all of us so it's your call. Perhaps having him work from home is a short term solution but in such small teams it doesn't work for long.
NAz

09 September 2013
Take him our for a beer and tell him exactly everything you told us. You seem to be able to touch on this subject in a very calm and non-confrontational manner. If he is your friend, then he should take what you have to say to heart and may appreciate it later.

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by BoBoZoBo: Take him our for a beer and tell him exactly everything you told us. You seem to be able to touch on this subject in a very calm and non-confrontational manner. If he is your friend, then he should take what you have to say to heart and may appreciate it later.

Considering that heīs already looking for other opportunities and the way he behaved in the team...I wouldnīt call that "friend".

09 September 2013
Guys, dont judge so quickly, this is just one version of the story we heard, I dont even think that this is the appropriate forum for this discussion ?

Thread Closed share thread