Warcraft Live Action

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Warcraft Live Action

So I was trolling around and I found this-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_(film)

What do people think, do they want to see humans vs orcs movie?

Funny how some of us were talking about the diablo cinematic, for Blizzard to make a movie. Although it is produced by Legendary Picture, I wonder how much input Blizzard will have or even at all. I feel that this will have a very high goal to reach, since it will be challenged by a lot of fans from the game franchise.

Last edited by Darkherow : 08 August 2013 at 10:21 PM.

08 August 2013
They have a lot of input, and it's also done by the director of "Moon", so there is some hope for a good movie.

08 August 2013
Yeah Blizzard are going to have a lot of input on the story no doubt. I am hoping it turns out great, as i think Blizzard have a few properties that they could make into films. I was hoping they do a Starcraft movie instead of a Warcraft one first. That world is the closer to reality i feel and the lore from the first game is pretty epic, some story points of the second one i liked too.

I wonder what style they are going to go for with Warcraft. I imagine something like the opening scenes of Gladiator but the games are very colourful and i imagine the fans want to see that.

08 August 2013
I've never played WOW (though the first two RTS games back in the days), but I'm looking forward to this, just because - apart from LotR and The Hobbit, and those kinda made their own thing anyway - there haven't been any movies based on the classic fantasy setting around humans and orcs in ages. I'm thinking of stuff like Warhammer, Hero Quest or whatever Frazetta/Vallejo style paintings you find on RPG books or heavy metal albums - the typical 80s/90s fantasy. I'm hoping that's exactly what this movie will look like.

There was a live action teaser shown at this year's SDCC (though only with footage shot specifically for this teaser - kinda like what Tron Legacy did), but I haven't found it online yet.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Darkherow:

What do people think, do they want to see humans vs orcs movie?

I'd much rather see a Humans Vs Chaos in a Warhammer setting film. Much more interesting and fleshed out world. There's a film in every single one of the old Warhammer fantasy role-play campaigns
from the '90's.

08 August 2013
OP's link is broken, misses a ")"

With the amount of WoW sub's being cut in half they probably felt it was time. I hardly remember the first three warcraft games but I bet the lore is as excellent as always. Blizzard has an overall quality that I really hope will be reflected in this movie.

Warcraft has made an impact on a lot of people, both bad and worse, and some good of course, and most people have heard about it. No other game in this genre comes close as the logical choice for a movie.

Last edited by Sthu : 08 August 2013 at 01:02 PM.

08 August 2013
For some reason I think the correct look for this film would be similar to AVATAR's Pandora sequences (especially use of the color blue). I mean, you look at the games and even the wallpapers... everything looks like it happens on some other planet and not Earth.

If they don't do something that "alien".... it'll be hard to tell it apart from "The Hobbit". "Desolation of Smaug" will be fresh in everyone's minds.

08 August 2013
Here's the wowwiki entry on it:
Quote: Warcraft is an upcoming fantasy epic based on the Warcraft series and set on the world of Azeroth. It was first announced in 2006 as a project partnership with Legendary Pictures,[4] but since more than 6 years have past since the announcement and the film is still not in shooting,

So its been a WIP since 2006, also blizzard has influence with their own story staff on the main crew:
Quote: Director - Duncan Jones[1]
Executive Producer - Stuart Fenegan
Co-Producer - Chris Metzen (Blizzard)
Producer - Charles Roven
Producer - Alex Gartner
Producer - Thomas Tull (Legendary Pictures)
Producer - Jon Jashni (Legendary Pictures)
Writer - Charles Leavitt
Visual Effects Director - Bill Westenhofer

Full entry:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Warcraft_(film)

08 August 2013
I think they blew their window of opportunity to really make something of cultural kapow-ness.

Game of Thrones has set the bar so high for swords with a little sorcery...I fear that WoW's visual strength is cartoony to begin with.

Game of Thrones - (breasts) + (orcs) + (a little more magic) is about the only Warcraft movie I could see myself getting excited about. I would love it if the breasts stayed, but what can you do.

Or...it is so over the top with magic that it is cool, but I really expect that aspect of WoW in film form to be more for the kiddies.

08 August 2013
I guess a Breasts+Orcs+Magic+CGI Labyrinth/Jim Henson's Creature Shop style.... That would work.

Or was that already "Jack the Giant Killer"?

Like I said.. big issue is visual differentiation.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread