Websites to sell 3D Models?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Websites to sell 3D Models?

Iím looking for somewhere to sell my 3d models. Does anyone have any recommendations? Iím thinking about putting them on a few sites and donít want to be tied to a contract.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Turbosquid is probably the biggest one. Have you checked them out?

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
Turbosquid is probably the biggest one. Have you checked them out?

Yeah I've had a look at them but not too sure about their royalty rates - seem really low. Also don't like the look of the tax forms. Was thinking maybe one of the smaller sites may suit me better and just wondered if anyone had any tips. Thanks for the suggestion though

Old 09 September 2013   #4
if you cant get on turbosquid youre wasting your time. i made about 100 dollars on there over a year period of time when i sold a sm58 microphone model for like 14 dollars lol. i took it down though i dont know why. i had a few other mdoels that never sold. someone also bought some sound effects i made. that surprised me.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Itís not that I canít get on turbosquid itís just that Iím not happy giving them such a high percentage of my earnings. There seem to be quite a few other sites that offer higher royalties and I was interested to hear what peopleís experiences were with using them. Iíve found some reviews but they all seem out of date. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Wink

Generally, from what I've read and seen, it depends on how big your portfolio is and how long you've been selling (also what type of media you're creating). There are those that fly solo on TS, and do quite good. Sometimes they leave the SG, and venture out; only to return later (without giving it a real shot, IMO). Others have found that they make more money by selling at other sites (while still selling at TS...perhaps marking up their items on TS more to make up for the pitiful 40% they give you). I've been following this for a couple of years now, and it depends mostly on how established you are.

I would definitely suggest that you sell on TS (mark up those prices a bit....check other artist's prices on like items), CGTrader, and one or two others. I wouldn't sign up to every one of them, but about 3-5 would be sufficient enough for you to get a good idea of what you want to do next. But please give it a good year before making a decision to go exclusive with anyone. The market trends seem to ebb and flow during specific months of the year (most likely due to budgets, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by OGKeithC : 09 September 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Or start selling models on your own website.
Granted you might not have ads out there promoting your site, but maybe over time you can develop a name for yourself and people will bookmark your site for models.

There are a handful of guys out there that do this, like selling their scripts or camera rigs, or whatever else.
At least you'd be dealing with yourself instead of going through a middle man.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
Best place if you are good is probably renderosity, daz3d, runtimedna.com, 3dcornucopia.

This is a niche market and you can sell more in volume. That is where the money goes.

Old 09 September 2013   #9
Also check out www.cgtrader.com
They have completely different selling scheme to the artists. And theoretically (I didn't tried myself) looks very fair.

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate all your feedback. I may give a couple of these a try. Being new to model selling it's quite difficult for me to know which of these sites offer the best deal.

Iím interested to know if anyone has any experience of selling on www.3DSquirrel.co.uk . It seems to have a really fair rate of 70% and the presentation of the models looks amazing. As Iím from the UK myself Iím really tempted to give this one a go.

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread