Nvidia Optix + Foundry Katana = realtime render ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Nvidia Optix + Foundry Katana = realtime render ?

Looks like Pixar is using Katana to enable realtime rendering ?!?

Does anyone know more about this ? Is the renderer 'Renderman GPU' ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=LACmRpMYOak

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Wow that's amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing.

The real time refractions are nuts.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
The performance is pretty impressive, but I'd like to mention that:

* this is a feature of Renderman for a while (Renderman has supported progressive raytracing since v17 I believe, though their performance looks much improved), and it's also a feature of most render engines like Arnold and Vray, Mental ray etc.

* It's also a feature of Katana in that Katana both handles very large scenes but also supports various levels of signalling render updates.

Essentially the render engine here is told when to cache the scene in memory and will be selectively told what to update.

There are a few other things to note:

maybe I missed it, but they didn't mention the specs of the system running it. I will assume they are very high because:

a) Renderman 17, while it had progressive raytracing, its performance was nowhere near this level.
b) Atleast based of other GPGPU systems like Octane, the graphics card needs to have enough memory to hold the majority of the scene.

Given that it's an nvidia presentation, I'm guessing they decked out the system with likely atleast 2 or 3 Quadro k5000.
The other factor is, does Nvidia optimize Optix for non quadro cards? I doubt it, but I haven't seen. So you'd likely not get the performance on a home rig either.

The other thing is they showed no deforming geometry or hair. Technically katana would work with alembic geocaches, but stuff like that would definitely tax a 'realtime' renderer, as its scene cache would need to be updated pretty regularly.

Just a few things to think about before everyone starts throwing out the "Real time performance!" stuff again. If you threw enough hardware at any renderer, they would be able to do this. Octan,e Modo, Arnold would all manage this most likely.

Last edited by DagMX : 08 August 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Yeah, it's not actually real-time, it's just like any other GPU renderer and most likely they just have enough fast hardware to make it perform well.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
cool, realtime refractions... oh and Gi hahah
oh these guys have should have watched maybe years ago Vray demos, or what arnold
can do... Then they might would not have lost so much market too them

Old 08 August 2013   #6
I will just leave this here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCguRdSlV0

Old 08 August 2013   #7
People are missing the point of optix. It's a lot like embree in that it is integratable into any existing render engine and allows the day grace specific function to perform in an optimized environment for the hardware. Embree has seen 20-30% render speed increases in existing render engines like Vray and C4D and optix allows the same sort of thing but instead of simply being a super optimized raytrace engine for CPUs it's on a GPU allowing a traditional CPU based renderer to offload much of its raytrace tasks to gpu and work at an extrmy optim rate on that hardware and the render engine can use that data as they like.

Optix is a available to any render engine that wants to integrate it. So Arnold, Vray, model,c4d could all benefit from its enhancements. Many have good progressive raytrace ready, the would just allow a notable speed increase to their existing raytracers.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread