Robert Valley's Wonder Woman (The Coolest thing you will see today)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Robert Valley's Wonder Woman (The Coolest thing you will see today)

Robert Valley's filmography reads like a who' who of some the coolest animated projects in recent memory.
From Aeon Flux where he served as a storyboard artist, to Tron Uprising where was a character designer you can see clearly see his great grasp style and character design .

More recently he was commissioned to take his unique artistic sense to one of DC Comics most iconic characters, Wonder Woman.
And he delivered in spades.....

You can see the 3 full shorts here:

http://www.themarysue.com/dcnation-wonderwoman-shorts/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08 August 2013 at 02:02 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
What's up with the gigantic chick having "bucky-ball" head of hair?

Other than that, pretty cool.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d: What's up with the gigantic chick having "bucky-ball" head of hair?

Other than that, pretty cool.

That would be Giganta
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: That would be Giganta

Giganta must be a fan of soccer with that head of hair!

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Cool stuff!

I've had the pleasure of working with Rob a few times here at Passion (oooh get me, name dropping!).

If you fancy another of his films he released this a month or so ago...

Shinjuku

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Okay. I'll admit it. I DVR all of that superhero stuff to watch later on. This take on Wonder Woman? Stylish. It just didn't catch my attention when it was on. (Bonus points for the Robert Valley connection though.) I'm more partial to the "Super Best Friends Forever".

BTW, SBFF was done by Lauren Faust. In case you don't know, she's also worked on the likes of Powerpuff Girls & The Maxx.

Last edited by cookepuss : 08 August 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Sorry not even close to the coolest thing I have seen today which is this:

Old 08 August 2013   #8
@SheepFactory: For some reason, that commercial just made me laugh. It reminded me of this SNL bit: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...d-voter/n27698/

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Ah I was hoping there would be mirrors of that SSD commercial, it got so much attention Samsung pulled it off their channel.

If real humans ever landed in the uncanny valley, it's those poor people.

(According to reddit replies it was made by an all Korean crew so it's sort of like watching a commercial fed through google translate)

On-topic, this Wonder Woman stuff was cool and interesting, the Batman shorts are still my fave, with Super Best Friends a very close second.

How can DC allow such fun creative stuff to go on "on the side" and then completely miss the point with their $200m tentpole versions of the same material?

Old 08 August 2013   #10
@SheepFactory:

That was hilariously bad. Wow. The girls acting is probably the most disingenuous I've ever seen, not that the rest are doing all the great either but damn.

Old 08 August 2013   #11
They have more freedom with animation-can choose the voices and bodies and no star baggage.
Super heroes were meant to work best in animation seeing how its the closest link to comics.
I find Mask of the Phantasm to be the most satisfying of the theatrical movies.

Old 08 August 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: @SheepFactory:

That was hilariously bad. Wow. The girls acting is probably the most disingenuous I've ever seen, not that the rest are doing all the great either but damn.

See what you didn't know is that Samsung Ad features the best CG people using performance capture!

I am also wondering if the woman in the ad might be a relative of Jodie Foster.

As for Most Awesome Thing for today:

===========

Wonder woman cartoons looked OK, but I have a feeling the style will lose novelty if it goes on for any longer.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #13
Can we have a "most awesome thing seen today" thread? ... that was pretty amazing (from WW to the last vid)

Old 08 August 2013   #14
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Sorry not even close to the coolest thing I have seen today which is this:

So, this wasn't a parody??

Old 08 August 2013   #15
I really thought that was a parody....I was waiting for the funny bits that would make the awkward bits less awkward.

They never came.

Thread Closed share thread