Pompeii Official Teaser Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
Originally Posted by grahamef:
If old epics like The Longest Day or Waterloo were made nowadays, they'd probably focus on some twenty-something lieutenant with killer abs, fighting for redemption, caught in a love triangle, ... .

Agreed wholeheartedly. There is nothing worse than an otherwise good film being ruined by dull, pointless, 'romantic' scenes.

Old 08 August 2013   #17
Originally Posted by grahamef: It's actually the out-of-place love story that's problematic for me. Speaking personally as a viewer, I get a bit frustrated when Hollywood takes an epic historical event, inherently full of dramatic possibilities rife for exploration, then ignores it all and turns it into nothing more than a backdrop for a generic and predictable romantic drama.

If old epics like The Longest Day or Waterloo were made nowadays, they'd probably focus on some twenty-something lieutenant with killer abs, fighting for redemption, caught in a love triangle, ... .

True, but movies are commerce, not art. Sure, there's an occasional overlap, but for the most part studios are only interested in a certain demographic (young people) and it's pretty much a business formula that romance sells to women, action to men. Mix the two well and you get revenue from both groups.

Besides, there's an old saying about there only being 7 storylines (or something like that). How many compelling stories can you tell in that setting? In general, a protagonist is seeking something (love, money, wisdom, power) and has to overcome obstacles to get it. Beyond that, it's all smoke and mirrors to get the audience to care about their quest as much as they do.

Old 08 August 2013   #18
There were WW 2 romance movies (Casablanca obviously) but there were some big budget ones that didnt have any (Battle of the Bulge, Tora! Tora! Tora!).

I guess it was felt there was more current interest to justify a docudrama approach but with ancient epics the ones I can think of had some romantic subplot including the Last Days of Pompeii.
Except for ones on the Bible (excluding Ben Hur).

"If this movie had love interest it would gross twice as much!" Carl Denham King Kong

Old 08 August 2013   #19
Originally Posted by kelgy: "If this movie had love interest it would gross twice as much!" Carl Denham King Kong

Ha! Perfect! It's interesting that there seems to have been a shift from telling big stories that focused on great or flawed leaders (Patton, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc.) and instead followed the exploits of "nobodies". Sure, there are examples of both from all eras of film making, but the "Me Generation" seems to have perpetuated it a bit more in recent years. Really, when was the last movie made you can think of that was about a great or crazy leader that didn't revolve around his or her love-life? Perhaps writers and studios feel that audiences relate more to common characters than larger-than-life heroic or evil ones.

Old 08 August 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Artbot: Ha! Perfect! It's interesting that there seems to have been a shift from telling big stories that focused on great or flawed leaders (Patton, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc.) and instead followed the exploits of "nobodies". Sure, there are examples of both from all eras of film making, but the "Me Generation" seems to have perpetuated it a bit more in recent years. Really, when was the last movie made you can think of that was about a great or crazy leader that didn't revolve around his or her love-life? Perhaps writers and studios feel that audiences relate more to common characters than larger-than-life heroic or evil ones.

Well.... there was this one:

Old 08 August 2013   #21
50% of the market wants a romantic story.

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Originally Posted by Bullit: 50% of the market wants a romantic story.

And the other 50% just want to see a great film....

And the utter tripe that is 'Alexander' even had to weave in a romantic sub-plot in the form of his homosexuality. which was ridiculous considering the concept of 'being gay' wasn't even an issue that raised eyebrows in the ancient world:. Many of the greatest leaders of the ancient world coupled with other men: Julius Caesar, King Leonidas of Sparta, Sulla, Achilles....in fact, the Greek philosophers openly encouraged the love between a young man and an older man. My point being that it seems the evil that is the 'romantic sub-plot' is generally a prerequisite in the eyes of the modern big-budget studio production.

Old 08 August 2013   #23
About the dead bodies in the opening shots: This is not what the victims would have looked like, this is what the plaster casts made by the archaeologists look like. They did realize that, didn't they? Volcanic eruptions don't turn you into a statue (basilisks do).
Damn it, Hollywood, sometimes I think you're not even caring anymore.

Old 08 August 2013   #24
Paul W.S. Anderson gets a massive pass from me because he made Event Horizon.

The romantic stories are added into films because its the fastest way to build an emotional connection with someone. Just say they are in love, and the idea is that most people who have been in love before can relate to it.

Creating other connections is much harder, but I think MUCH more effective when done properly. Rain Man, I think, is an example of the connection between brothers done to absolute perfection, and that movies relationship resonated with me 100 times more than Titanic. Even Matchstick Men, with is Father/Daughter relationship was amazingly well done, and built even more of a connection than if it was a 26 year old hot girl with romantic desires.

There is a reason Breaking Bad has the following it has. The Walter/Jesse relationship is an amazing take on a Father/Son relationship...

I just REALLY don't like the grading, and 300 style costume design. I think that the story of Pompeii could be a really thrilling one...but this is coming out a little too 'I want to be Zack Snyder'ish.

Old 08 August 2013   #25
everyone should go watch it imo

Last edited by Stellios : 08 August 2013 at 11:37 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #26
Originally Posted by Pyke: Paul W.S. Anderson gets a massive pass from me because he made Event Horizon.

EH was one of only a handful of movies where I was so disgusted by the 3rd act that I wanted to leave, but I came with a group and had to watch it til the end. Just agonizingly bad and my personal waypoint for movies that start out promising and fly wildly off the rails. PWSA gets a massive "I'll never watch another movie of his no matter what" from me.

Originally Posted by Pyke: I think that the story of Pompeii could be a really thrilling one...but this is coming out a little too 'I want to be Zack Snyder'ish.

But I'll agree with you there.

Old 08 August 2013   #27
Originally Posted by archaeotect: About the dead bodies in the opening shots: This is not what the victims would have looked like, this is what the plaster casts made by the archaeologists look like. They did realize that, didn't they? Volcanic eruptions don't turn you into a statue (basilisks do).
Damn it, Hollywood, sometimes I think you're not even caring anymore.

Probably.

And you know there is a VFX artist out there right now working on the lookdev for the 'transition effect sequence' and trying to have it 'feel' believable and getting an unbelievable pixel fucking in the process.

Only after its approved will they have time read this thread.

Last edited by circusboy : 08 August 2013 at 08:14 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #28
New Trailer:
http://io9.com/pompeii-trailer-is-h...reas-1476957656
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2013   #29
just amazing

Old 12 December 2013   #30
You know nothing Jon Snow!

Thread Closed share thread