Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Opening Cinematic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Opening Cinematic

The top comment says it all. "Blizzard please make movies instead of games".

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: The top comment says it all. "Blizzard please make movies instead of games".
Can't argue with that. Fantastic cinematic.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2013   #3
They should let that department go, turn it into something like Blur. Maybe then it wouldn't be such a huge money sink for them.

**edit
I didn't mean to let them go as in they suck and are dragging blizzard down, just that they could easily hold their own as an independent studio.

cinematic trailers arent what they used to be in terms of keeping you playing. In war2/3, hell yeah i played to see the next video, but with sc2 and d3, not so much. Plus youtube kinda kills that surprise anyways. I think they have an abundance of talent there and would do well competing with a studio like blur.

Draenei:Thread
Troll:Thread

Last edited by TheIvIaxx : 08 August 2013 at 09:20 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Originally Posted by TheIvIaxx: They should let that department go, turn it into something like Blur. Maybe then it wouldn't be such a huge money sink for them.

I am pretty sure they can afford to have their own cinematic department.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Probably the best cinematic from Blizzard yet.

-B

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Great story telling and designs. It's a shame that the format is for video games.

The capabilities are there to make this into a feature but sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon. We can only hope for Japanese productions like Advent Children or the upcoming Captain Harlock. I guess only family orientated CG films are going to be produced in the west, even in the coming years.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
I don't think I've ever said this before... but I feel like the game is holding the franchise back. They make these angels and demons so incredibly awe-inspiring and fearsome and grand in the cinematics, there is simply no way to translate that into a playable experience. During my first playthrough, I was so transfixed on getting through the levels just to reach the end of an act, knowing there was another one of these waiting each time. The scene with Tyreal's flashback remains probably the coolest CG animation I've ever seen, in any medium. The writing, dialog, action, pacing, and of course visuals are just untouchable.

So yeah, as everyone has said... movie please!

Old 08 August 2013   #8
I'm still amazed that making these pre-rendered cinematics is financially worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love them, and I hope it never stops. Just thinking about how much they cost and how much buzz they create in comparison to a gameplay trailer

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 08 August 2013   #9
what an amazing cinematic. i think this has to be one of the best blizzard has ever done.

Old 08 August 2013   #10
I think at last count, Blizzard was explaining something to the effect of how they put on more Resources-Per-Minute-of-Footage than the equivalent for other animations, such that if they tried for 100 minutes their work would end up costing way more than a Pixar or Walt Disney feature?

Something like that.

So no it's not going to happen. The difference in scale and quality between this and "Captain Harlock", and make no mistake, Harlock looks pretty good, is down to that disparity.

I mean... as an example.... this 4 min 28 second cinematic took Blizzard X months, with Y number of artists and what they have to show for it are two unique characters, only one of which has a fully working face rig, the other may not even have a body. The others are clones of each other, one set...The rest are "Parchment Styled" camera glides and hard surfaces.

It looks fantastic, but people have to note the parameters involved.

I'm not saying it's easy, but Blizzard gave the same explanation for the first Diablo III cinematic with the girl and the necronomicon-like book thing. They expend such high quality for short running times and there are always these things where they don't do crowds.. don't do too many characters with the same Dramatic Level Quotient.

Ignoring the difference in scale, diversity and assuming you can just make a movie can be fatal to even the most experienced Cinematics department - just ask Square.

The exponential increase in cost was too much for "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within".

P.S.: That's not to say they can't. Just saying it would take quite a bit of thinking, planning, making sure they always have something in hand... It's not as simple as "Do what you were doing at the 4 minute mark and make it 100 minutes".

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #11
People who want Blizzard to make cg features probably never played a Blizzard game in their lives. I am sorry to say but the writing in Diablo 3 is first grade fan fiction quality with some of the worst dialogue ever written for a medium. I don't see how they can turn it into a 1.5hr movie.

Old 08 August 2013   #12
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: People who want Blizzard to make cg features probably never played a Blizzard game in their lives. I am sorry to say but the writing in Diablo 3 is first grade fan fiction quality with some of the worst dialogue ever written for a medium. I don't see how they can turn it into a 1.5hr movie.

On a similar note, I must say that while some people question the merits of XCOM: The Bureau as a game which mostly ends up mimicking Mass Effect for gameplay, I must say that I felt The Bureau would have made a fantastic TV series.

It's like X-Files but with more action, and a hero who looks like Rock Hudson!

Old 08 August 2013   #13
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: People who want Blizzard to make cg features probably never played a Blizzard game in their lives. I am sorry to say but the writing in Diablo 3 is first grade fan fiction quality with some of the worst dialogue ever written for a medium. I don't see how they can turn it into a 1.5hr movie.

That's where you avoid what Square did with FF and hire a real director and screenwriter. The value of the cinematics are in the quality and pacing, not the story. If not for the great visuals, pacing, art direction, and context, story wise some of these would be downright cheesy. They even have the saturday morning cartoon evil voice going on here instead of something more interesting. The rest makes up for things like that ten fold. imo.

Old 08 August 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: That's where you avoid what Square did with FF and hire a real director and screenwriter. The value of the cinematics are in the quality and pacing, not the story. If not for the great visuals, pacing, art direction, and context, story wise some of these would be downright cheesy. They even have the saturday morning cartoon evil voice going on here instead of something more interesting. The rest makes up for things like that ten fold. imo.

Note that "The Spirits Within" was written by Al Reinert, who also wrote the Ron Howard film "Apollo 13" and has won numerous awards for his film work.

So no, that wasn't the problem, or maybe he was out of his element?

I still think though that with an 85 million USD box office take in 2001, the trick was always to make sure the film would cost less than 35 million USD to make. Certainly not the 137 million USD in the year 2000 that it cost to make this Final Fantasy film.

In my view, "The Spirits Within" was sunk by an ill-conceived visual design to try and make photorealistic actors, which was always going to cost a lot in the 1999-2000 era of CG animation.

Originally Posted by Box Office Prophets: Video games company Square initially set up Square Pictures, a studio in Honolulu, Hawaii, back in 1997. The intention was to create a Final Fantasy movie, and other projects should it prove successful. Originally budgeted at $70 million, it spiralled out to $137 million. “We did end up spending more than what we planned,” said producer Aida, “but it’s not by any means a massive number compared to what other major studios have spent on similar features,” The Honolulu studio itself was believed to have used up $40 - $45 million of the budget.

"The Spirits Within" seems mostly an Operational Failure than anything else.
Although it is true the story was just "OK" in my view.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2013 at 03:08 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #15
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I think at last count, Blizzard was explaining something to the effect of how they put on more Resources-Per-Minute-of-Footage than the equivalent for other animations, such that if they tried for 100 minutes their work would end up costing way more than a Pixar or Walt Disney feature?

Where would that be from?
Last I heard, while their budgets are considerable for a cinematic department, given the scale/duration/stretches they work to they actually produce decent bang for buck frames.

Their cinematic department isn't that huge either, and you can actually count the minutes they produce, and they aren't an insignificant amount of footage.

I'm extrapolating here, but I can't see how if they were to work to a longer format they would be more expensive than Pixar based on their current economy, the numbers simply don't add up that way.

There's a lot more than making pretties to making a successful movie, if they will every try it they will have some lessons to learn on the way, and possibly some to teach given their unique background, but I doubt they are so premiumly inefficient that they rule it out because their cost per frame is too high. I would in fact guess the opposite.

Thread Closed share thread