Old 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Workstation vs Laptop use in the Film Industry

I'm asking this question on behalf of someone else. I don't have any experience in this particular field, so i'd like to know of your experiences working in the film industry. Are there any companies that don't use desktop workstations, instead favouring laptops? Do all companies keep some workstations to perform the "heavy lifting" or are laptops increasingly adequate for a wider ranger of tasks? The person i'm asking this for is of the belief that laptops are pretty much all you need, but this is probably due to the advice his film course gave him. Personally, I have my doubts that a laptop could fulfil every conceivable need, but that's why i'm asking. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
dwigfor
Expert

David Wigforss
Nickelodeon Animation Studios
Burbank, USA

Would you run your laptop 24/7? 18" max monitor? Cramped heated keyboard?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Production staff generally use laptops but artists use workstations.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

don't know about you, but I find it hard to fit seven drives in to a laptop.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

I had a job once where everything was done on laptops due to logistical reasons(shoot/edit in prison), including rendering. 2 out of 5 were still functional after the job, the rest was just expensive junk afterwards due to overheating. So yes, workstation ftw!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

It all depends what you are doing. If you're talking about 2D apps like photoshop and after effects then a good laptop is okay but for 3D apps like Maya and Zbrush I believe it would run, and you can do modeling and rendering. However with more complicated scenes it would be a burden on the hardware and it might be a matter of time before it dies.

There are many advantages that workstations have over laptops. Workstations have more powerful components compared to a laptop. Laptops have limitations and workstations are more customisable. Also high performance components will cost less compared to trying to put the same components into a laptop, if even possible.

I agree with dwigfor, you will have to leave the monitor turned on while the computer is on. This could mean the screen can blow with it being on for so long, then you will have a very hard time replacing it, if it is even worth it. There's also the issue of working on one screen, of course you can plug in another screen to the laptop but it's kind of contradicting the point of having a laptop for it's portability.

Another component that blows easily is the power adaptor. Probably overheat or you drop it too many times, I don't think they will have as much protection compared to a computer's PSU. Also they aren't the lightest of things if you want a decent adaptor. I can just imagine how often a laptop will overheat considering how small the fans, heatsink and the case are too.

I would rather spend a my money on a workstation rather than a laptop with power you get and reliability.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwigfor
Would you run your laptop 24/7? 18" max monitor? Cramped heated keyboard?

I wouldn't personally, no. I like my big screen and my mechanical full-sized keyboard. Always hated laptops and their papery buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Production staff generally use laptops but artists use workstations.

Thanks Leigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
don't know about you, but I find it hard to fit seven drives in to a laptop.

Ha, very true. I guess someday they'll want us all to use Thunderbolt for additional storage :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
I had a job once where everything was done on laptops due to logistical reasons(shoot/edit in prison), including rendering. 2 out of 5 were still functional after the job, the rest was just expensive junk afterwards due to overheating. So yes, workstation ftw!

That doesn't surprise me. In my limited experiences of macbooks that are a couple of years old, they can get hellishly hot. You could cook an egg on the power supply I bet. Maybe the new ones are much cooler, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
It all depends what you are doing. If you're talking about 2D apps like photoshop and after effects then a good laptop is okay but for 3D apps like Maya and Zbrush I believe it would run, and you can do modeling and rendering. However with more complicated scenes it would be a burden on the hardware and it might be a matter of time before it dies.

There are many advantages that workstations have over laptops. Workstations have more powerful components compared to a laptop. Laptops have limitations and workstations are more customisable. Also high performance components will cost less compared to trying to put the same components into a laptop, if even possible.

I agree with dwigfor, you will have to leave the monitor turned on while the computer is on. This could mean the screen can blow with it being on for so long, then you will have a very hard time replacing it, if it is even worth it. There's also the issue of working on one screen, of course you can plug in another screen to the laptop but it's kind of contradicting the point of having a laptop for it's portability.

Another component that blows easily is the power adaptor. Probably overheat or you drop it too many times, I don't think they will have as much protection compared to a computer's PSU. Also they aren't the lightest of things if you want a decent adaptor. I can just imagine how often a laptop will overheat considering how small the fans, heatsink and the case are too.

I would rather spend a my money on a workstation rather than a laptop with power you get and reliability.

All good points. The work I believe is mostly editing of footage and effects/transitions. To me a laptop is an example of compromise in order to enable the goals of small footprint and portability. I'm a workstation guy myself but my friend is quite adamant about his choice. It's nice to get the views of industry professionals though - I knew I wasn't crazy

Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
marcuso
infinitesimal

Marcus Ottosson
London, United Kingdom

I do animation, rigging, coding and also freelance, so laptop is most ideal for me.

For rendering, or anything that requires more disk space I think a workstation would be cheaper yet it wouldn't help you if you freelanced and had to go abroad with your machine.

Like said above, it depends on what you need.

edit: reading the title of this thread once more, I thought I'd point out that I'm referring to laptops for personal use. In an office I can't see much of a benefit for them.

Last edited by marcuso : 08-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

In all honesty I can't think of a single person in your average VFX company whose work couldn't be done comfortably on a top end laptop docked up (assuming we count as laptops the monster gaming set ups or the pro lines like the latest Precision).

At the same time, I can't think of ONE single advantage to laptops except logistics. They run hotter, have shorter life, are more issues prone, are restricted in HW choices, and at the top end they get phenomenally more expensive than an equivalent workstation, and have a much lower performance ceiling.

The logistic value in a desk and chair shop, which is 99% of them, is practically near 0, even when you turn stuff around like it's a game of musical chairs. The limitations of a laptop, while never truly show stopping, range between irrelevant and absolutely crippling, and the cost would be astronomical.

"The Film Industry" is a big place btw, and there are some stretches where laptops are necessary.
CGI for film VFX though, they make little sense. Well, with due exceptions, as production staff everywhere these days has turned dailies into a piano concert played by spastic parkinsonian typists, it's good they are typing the notes down so fast and in such high redundancy, because some sessions you don't stand a chance to hear them from the director/supe over the sound of keys being angrily beaten into submission.

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 08-21-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
at the top end they get phenomenally more expensive than an equivalent workstation

This a thousand times.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Apoclypse
Expert

Unlike other industries which successfully have the ability to move to a more mobile setup (Photo editing, Music, Video editing, development, etc.) CG is way to resource intensive to make that jump imo.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #12
Bullit
Expert

In small studios where BYOD is accepted yes, but that usually is for modeling, texturing etc. Neverthless a couple quad core laptops can still help a render that needs to be finished for tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

If I had to average-it might have been nice to have had a portable computer
once a year as the studio re-arranged the artist team locations. Other than that nothing *moves*.

Make it big -with two monitors- and make it FASTER (there can always be faster). Doing sims-its never fast enough. Better yet give me TWO workstations!

I spit in the general direction of your booky little laptops.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread