Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #61
fahr
Expert

Chad Gleason
Creative Director
Outpost 12 Studios
Lincoln, USA

I agree the windows 8 tablet misses the mark, but I'm personally hugely excited for the android version. It's essentially a fully featured wacom cintiq 13 that can be untethered and used as a sketch pad on the go. I can sketch outside or on the couch, and when I need to do some serious work in Photoshop, Mari or Mudbox I can go to my desk, plug it into my 8-core xeon mac pro with quadro 4000 graphics and get some work done.

Honestly, I don't know why everyone is clinging to this hope that someone will put out a tablet computer that will let them do high end work on it. An ultrabook will never be able to compete with a workstation and I for one don't want to spend $2500 on a tablet computer that can barely run maya.

The windows 8 cintiq can't be hooked up to a workstation and used as a regular Cintiq, nor is it powerful enough to paint 4k textures on a 10 million poly model, so for my needs I think it's a bad choice. It will run photoshop, so that's good. But not being able to hook it up to a workstation kills it for me.

The android version is basically the $1k cintiq 13 plus the ability to untether it and use it for sketching and painting on the go. With that kind of use case in mind, I'm completely sold.

My only real complaint is the same complaint I've always had about Wacom (and everyone else on this forum). It's too damned expensive. But as a useful product, I think Wacom nailed the Android version.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #62
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

A company could make something like a high-end laptop with a touch screen and a Wacom digitizer, it's just that they haven't.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #63
fahr
Expert

Chad Gleason
Creative Director
Outpost 12 Studios
Lincoln, USA

That's possibly true, but I've never seen a tablet or laptop with an ultra book form factor packing a geforce 680m. I'm pretty sure if it did it would overheat immediately, melt the gpu, sap the battery in 20 minutes and probably burn your skin.

EDIT: Lenovo USED to offer wacom digitizers in their "w" series of pro notebooks. They were 17-inch, with pro level gpus and multi-core cpus. Hell, they even used to offer them with slide-out second monitors. The laptops were monsters in terms of weight and size, but they offered a full workstation on the go. Apparently nobody bought them because they don't offer them any more. :P

Last edited by fahr : 08-28-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #64
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

They haven't gotten up to the top-end GPU's, but there's a good MSI with a GTX 765, which isn't bad, fairly useable and a big improvement over other the low-power ultrabooks without getting something that's like 2 inches thick.
I also haven't found any good laptops with just a touch screen which would be very useful to have with Windows 8.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #65
fahr
Expert

Chad Gleason
Creative Director
Outpost 12 Studios
Lincoln, USA

Whoa! One thing that completely slipped through the radar for me was the Wacom creative stylus! Its a bluetooth pressure sensitive pen for the ipad. 2048 levels! Still looks like your sketching with a crayon, but a PRESSURE SENSITIVE crayon! I'm mildly interested.... ah who am I kidding? I'll buy two.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #66
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

stylus laptop

i think the reason stylus laptop doesn't sell is that when you upgrade, you throw away both - unlike a desktop with attached cintiq.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #67
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Just received the Companion Hybrid, I originally had the 24HD, but decided to sell that and drop down to this, although the screen isn't as big, the resolution is fine and it's much easier to manage.
As an Android tablet it's very good. Has all the features you could want. The only issue is that the speaker is on the bottom of the back, so it's facing away from you and you're probably covering it up most of the time.
It has a Wacom app for controlling things like the pen and the keys on the side. There are two drawing apps installed, Creative Canvas, and Manga Canvas. Creative Canvas is what you'll be using for regular sketching. It makes .psd files and you have support for layers and of course the Wacom pen. If you want a bit more functionality, it also supports Autodesk Sketchbook Pro with the pen and pressure sensitivity. When you connect it to the computer, you can then use it as a regular Cintiq and it works quite well. The cable may not be long enough for some desktop arrangements, my computer is on the left so it has a bit longer to reach and is a bit of a stretch.

The build of the tablet itself is quite nice, while it's around 4 pounds, it's not too heavy to hold while sketching. It does come with a stand if you don't want to hold it. The glass on the screen is not as thick as the 24HD so you won't have to calibrate as much if you change viewpoints. It also comes with a very nice carrying case that has places for the tablet, stand, pen, and cables. And the material is quite nice and should keep it in very good condition.

The only downside is that for creative work you can only do sketching as a mobile tablet. The Windows version of course can run things like Photoshop and even Zbrush since that doesn't require much graphics power. The problem with the Windows version is that it's just not powerful enough, and if you're going to spend $2,000 for something like this, you must be able to use it on any of your projects. If they release a new Windows version that can also be used as regular Cintiq like this one can, then I think it'd be worth it. Hopefully they'll listen to customers and the next release will have that (and a Haswell processor).
As a mobile sketchpad it's certainly capable, and I like it more than the 24HD since it's easier to manage and I can easily use it with multiple computers.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #68
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

One thing I don't like about the Surface Pro is that the cursor is every so slightly offset from where the pen tip is. I assume this isn't a problem with the Companion?

Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #69
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancerobot
One thing I don't like about the Surface Pro is that the cursor is every so slightly offset from where the pen tip is. I assume this isn't a problem with the Companion?

Last week I had a surface pro for a week to use and never noticed that. I found it a joy to work with both for sketching and zbrush stuff. The new one they will announce next week should be even better we will see.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #70
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancerobot

Calibration will fix it when that happens. All pen tablets have that issue since there's glass over the screen so your pen isn't directly on the screen. The distance on the Companion is much much less than other Cintiq screens so you don't have much problem with that. And if your view changes enough where it becomes an issue again you just recalibrate which is fast and easy.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #71
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Well, I've ordered the 512GB Windows 8 Companion. Will let you know how stupid I feel/am once it arrives & I've given Photoshop and ZBrush a good trial on it.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #72
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Review of the Companion by Marc Brunet

Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #73
Lomax
Expert

portfolio
Jared Lindquist
Technical Animator
Limited Slip Studio
Orlando, USA

And here I was almost settled on getting a Surface Pro... That review is really not doing my wallet any favors.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #74
Intervain

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Magdalena Dadela
Senior Character Artist
Ubisoft Toronto
Toronto, Canada

same here, I wasn't even considering it and now I'm thinking about getting one...

Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #75
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist
Billericay, United Kingdom

I was bitterly disappointed by the price tags of these things. I bought at Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 instead and am pretty happy with it.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Thread Closed share thread