Looks like that Cintiq tablet Wacom was teasing about is going to be Android.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: I don't know how this myth that Wacom is a niche seller keeps propagating itself...
I am specifically talking about the markets that people are comparing them against. The market for consumer level tablets is a completely different beast to the comparatively niche field graphics tablets.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: They license to millions, they SELL to millions in the CAD/CAM/CAE industries, and photoshop and co are far from a niche or a small market when you look at Adobe's earnings anyway, beside not being their only market.
Again, I am talking about the comparison between selling products for the professional/amateur creative markets and generic (relatively speaking) tablets for the general consumer. You are not going to see the Cintiq Companion in Toys R Us or supermarkets. There won't be TV commercials for them, you won't get spam emails promising you a free one along with hot singles in your area.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: They have great brand loyalty, brand recognition and still own market cornering patents and sell for a premium compared to their parts that makes Apple look positively underpriced.
I genuinely do not know enough about their hold over patents to be able to discuss it. I've tried looking into it but I cannot find a source that explains it succinctly and clearly enough for me to digest. I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm just saying I don't know enough about it!

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: They are NOT your friend, or a niche, or a magnanimous company, they are pretty much the worst of Adobe and Apple combined in terms of fandom/recognition coupled with self propagating de-facto monopoly.
Sadly, they are the only ones making decent products in some domains, and it remains a catch22.
I never said they were my friend and I'm not trying to paint them as a 'Mom & Pop' outfit running from some lovely cottage on the hillside. What I am saying is that bringing a product to market is so much more complicated and expensive than the average consumer thinks. As a result it's easy to point to one product that is seemingly similar and say "This is the same but costs less" when it isn't the same at all.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: They don't have problems recouping their RnD, they hardly need bother in fact, they often bundle old and depreciated technology at a premium price after wide adoption, and sell it for a premium to a large market.
That's speculation on your part. You look at a product they've brought to market (from scratch) and see out-dated overpriced components, yet that product may have taken years of development. They also know that they will have to support that product for years to come. Putting in the latest cutting edge tech isn't always the best option for stability - the CG industry as a whole is more aware of that than most I realise this sounds a lot like me saying "Be happy with what they give you" and that is not my intention, I'm just trying to be realistic about the expectations that people have from a (comparatively!) small hardware manufacturer, making (comparatively!) few products for a (comparatively!) niche market.

08 August 2013
Ahh come on now! The Intel Haswell CPU´s were released half a year ago!

Performance wise there is no difference compared to the 3rd gen mobile CPU.
Haswell´s main purpose was energy optimisation for ultrabooks and tablets!
The new Intel GPU´s that come with Haswell however! Those got a definitive speed bump!

As this is a graphics tablet, with it´s main purpose being used for graphic intensive tasks via Painter and Photoshop, etc ..... I am just absolutely flabbergasted they at least didn´t put in the new Haswell CPU with Intel 5000 GPU!

The 3rd gen Intel CPU´s are terrible for tablets. Not just because of terrible battery life, but also because of overheating issues! These tablets get seriously hot, when intensively used.
It´s going to be very uncomfortable to use for any serious drawing sessions.

7 hours battery life my ass! Not gonna happen! The Surface Pro has 4 hours at best when intensively used! And that one has a Core i5, instead of Core i7 and a 10 inch screen, instead of a 13inch!
With the companion having both 13inch screen and Core i7 CPU and only a 20Wah larger battery than the Surface Pro, you´ll be happy to squeeze out the same 4 hours at best!

If they went with Haswell, then the companion would have been seriously interesting, still expensive, but at least a serious option!
It would have better performance, due to new Intel GPU and much better battery life due to new Haswell tech! But more importantly, less prone to heat issues as well!

Sorry, but the Wacom Cintiq Companion is just FAIL! Huge let down!

08 August 2013
Well if anything, this terrible product will bring the evil corporation to its knees, paving the way for a new generation of properly made portable, affordable high performance graphics tablets.

Hooray!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: Well if anything, this terrible product will bring the evil corporation to its knees, paving the way for a new generation of properly made portable, affordable high performance graphics tablets.

Hooray!

Can´t wait for the Surface Pro 2, with Haswell CPU/GPU.
Especially if it´s gonna have a spec option for 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.

Just check out Jonathan Case: http://jonathancase.net
He sold his Cintiq and is doing all his professional work on current Surface Pro now.

08 August 2013
I wouldn't mind the Windows version if it had Haswell and if it could be used as a regular Cintiq like the Android version. With the low power that it has, it's a bit of a waste to use on its own, really only useful for some simple Photoshop work and that's it. It's a shame to have a tablet like that and not be able to use it for most projects because it doesn't have enough power.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: ...rumors of a Surface RT2 coming out..

and leaks of the Nokia tablet too, which could help propagate adoption. Would be nice if they took on the production for Microsoft since they've partnered so deeply for RT2's.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: you won't get spam emails promising you a free one along with hot singles in your area.

Heh, the first thought that came to mind when I heard the new tablets' name was Joss Whedon's Firefly:

Not sure how widely that reference will be understood...

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by patfour:
Not sure how widely that reference will be understood...

08 August 2013
*high-fives paintbox*

Also, have any articles said what methods can be used to recharge the tablets? On Wacom's page for the Android/peripheral model, about halfway down they show the same "3-in-1" cable the 13HD has... I wonder if that'll be the only way it draws power, or if it can recharge from a USB port as well (like so many mobile devices do).

08 August 2013
Here guys, the official promo for the Wacom Cintiq Companion-

08 August 2013
Does anyone know why Wacom has no competitor for so long. When IPhone comes out, there's competition a few years later with so many Android phones. It can't be the patent, because patents do not last forever. Wacom is not giving us the best product possible.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by rock: Does anyone know why Wacom has no competitor for so long. When IPhone comes out, there's competition a few years later with so many Android phones. It can't be the patent, because patents do not last forever. Wacom is not giving us the best product possible.

Currently it's the patent, other companies have to use things like battery-powered pens and other ways of tracking the position. The Wacom tech works much better. If the patent runs out we'll probably see competition.

08 August 2013
Granted, Wikipedia isn't exactly the best source for accurate information but it states on their page that Wacom's patent (in the US at least) covering "Position detecting apparatus " has expired.

Like I said above, I'm no expert and I'm sure there's many reasons why this might not be true or even a clear cut case of this covering their tech as a whole.

08 August 2013
These folks are crazy - 2K ?!?!
I will use my pencils, paints and piece of paper.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by rock: Does anyone know why Wacom has no competitor for so long. When IPhone comes out, there's competition a few years later with so many Android phones. It can't be the patent, because patents do not last forever. Wacom is not giving us the best product possible.

It's the patent. While I don't know the specifics, while the detection patent has expired, the battery thingy is not yet - hence most other pen are battery operated. And there could be other related patents too.

The thing with phone is that there is this thing called 'important / standard patent' or something, where there are patent that must be allowed for licensing with standard cost. Just read the lawsuit among apple/samsung/microsoft/motorola and what not at ars technica to know more about this issue.

even the yiynova 19U (?) doesn't have tilt sensor, hence the price. and the glass thicker.

i guess most new tablet companies are not in the mood to go into battle with wacom unlike those mobile phone companies, so they are threading a safe path.

Thread Closed share thread