Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient-whisper
I personally dont care if my notebook is heavy, but id love to have something along the lines of a lenovo w530 but in a tablet form.

15" screen, 1080 screen, capable of 32gb ram, possibility of 3 hard drives, and can add a battery pack to give some serious lasting power. ( if i just browse the net, it tells me it can last well past 12 hours, and into the 16 hour mark at times. ) When I use modo, with the quadro card on, it lasts 10 hours.

Id love to have that in a tablet.

I was hoping that the asus ep121 would have been powerful due to the i5 processor. It was ok with zbrush, but still kinda meh.

The new cintiq is wayyy overpriced for sure. Would be nice to see a proper 15" version.

yeah, I'd be great to get something like the Y series even with a wacom screen.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
gauranga108
Lord of the posts
portfolio
jake mr
makaha, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountCell

Anyone tried this?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
Roger Eberhart
Expert
Roger Eberhart
Senior Character Artist
Phoenix Labs
Mission Viejo, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauranga108
Anyone tried this?

Hopefully better than the Pogo Connect. That requires too much pressure to be comfortable drawing with. Especially is you're used to drawing on an Intuos or Cintiq.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauranga108
Anyone tried this?

Release date is October, price $99.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #35
routb
Scout
Isaiah Coberly
USA

I can't wait for the Companion tablets!

I'm %100 going to design a FlipSteady case for the Companion line which will be a perfect mobile easel for artists and cover the screen while being carried.

Check out my latest design for the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly

Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #36
fuss
Natural Born Sinner

portfolio
Marcus Holtgräwe
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO

I had guessed it at 2k+ for plastering a Haswell behind their 13" Cintiq when they first announced it, apparently, and sadly, being a pessimist when it comes to Wacom never fails to align to reality. They exceeded it in badness actually.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. As far as I'm concerned, Wacom can go forth and multiply.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #37
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
I know I've mentioned this before on here but like it or not, Wacom target a niche market. The average consumer have never heard of them and the average consumer doesn't care about running Photoshop with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. It's easy to hold their products up against seemingly similar competition and cry foul but the number of units they'll manufacture and ultimately sell is a drop in the ocean compared to Microsoft/Samsung/Apple...etc. meaning it's much harder to swallow the considerable costs of R&D, Design, manufacturing, marketing and distribution.

I don't know how this myth that Wacom is a niche seller keeps propagating itself...
Wacom is a Japanese monster with a large patents park that licenses to all kind of tertiaries with earnings that have been increasing phenomenally for years.

Currently Wacom is estimated to make a billion dollars earnings this year (record year, which has been pretty much every year for the last five anyway) and well more than that for the next. They are a winning stock entry that lures in more and more investors every year and looks forecast to not suffer risk of slump for the next three at least (their potential growth is trivial to them compared to saturated and troubled markets like the ones faced by other companies).

They license to millions, they SELL to millions in the CAD/CAM/CAE industries, and photoshop and co are far from a niche or a small market when you look at Adobe's earnings anyway, beside not being their only market.
They don't have problems recouping their RnD, they hardly need bother in fact, they often bundle old and depreciated technology at a premium price after wide adoption, and sell it for a premium to a large market.

They also have an ever increasing penetration, second hand, in corporate environments and are moving hard in that direction this year.

They have great brand loyalty, brand recognition and still own market cornering patents and sell for a premium compared to their parts that makes Apple look positively underpriced.

They are NOT your friend, or a niche, or a magnanimous company, they are pretty much the worst of Adobe and Apple combined in terms of fandom/recognition coupled with self propagating de-facto monopoly.
Sadly, they are the only ones making decent products in some domains, and it remains a catch22.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #38
mental
Deadly Avenger

NYC Metronome, USA

Has anyone tried out the Surface Pro with the updated WinTab driver released this May that enables proper pressure sensitivity for the Wacom stylus? Did you notice any lag between brush strokes? Rumors are starting to swirl about a Haswell based Surface Pro 2 coming out in January 2014 and I might be interested in buying one if it performs well.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #39
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
Can the surface be tethered to a desktop and used solely as an input device? that'd be cool- better than the andriod companion version- it is weak and expensive plus the windows 8 companion is outdated already.
surface pro is sub 1000 now with 100 off promo.

if only it was larger.

both companion devices say onscreen menu when connected to pc or mac- i was under the impression that only the hybrid was capable of this function- is it not?

Lenovo has a cheaper wireless touch screen monitor with stylus- wonder how that'll be-

anyways- Wacom boasting they created the ultimate professional portable device for artist is a bit over the top. Wait n see how this thing fairs in the wild. At least the Android one will have a longer shelflife than the "pro" model-

Wacom must've went to MS school of marketing- 2 confusing devises.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #40
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental
Has anyone tried out the Surface Pro with the updated WinTab driver released this May that enables proper pressure sensitivity for the Wacom stylus? Did you notice any lag between brush strokes? Rumors are starting to swirl about a Haswell based Surface Pro 2 coming out in January 2014 and I might be interested in buying one if it performs well.

When I tried out surface pro at a store about three weeks ago the brush feedback was excellent. No noticeable lag even with super fast strokes.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #41
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental

The SPro is actually surprisingly responsive, and love it or hate its design win8 is actually quite smooth.

There's more than just occasional rumors of a Surface RT2 coming out with win8.1 or shortly afterwards, and that's October this year. The Pro is rumored to follow by 3-4 months, so yeah, Q1 2014 seems very likely.

The only big question mark right now is whether the screen on the Pro will be upgraded.
Right now it sounds like they will be going after the small screen market with the RT (probably in two editions), hopefully they will also start going after the slim laptop market with the Pro and produce a 12-13".

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #42
patfour
Frequenter

Paul Allen Tillery IV
Digital content creator, filmmaker
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPinson
Lenovo has a cheaper wireless touch screen monitor with stylus- wonder how that'll be-

Are you referring to the Lt1423p? I got my hopes up when it was announced, but I'm starting to think that train ain't coming. First it was scheduled for Q2 2013, then some sources said June, then some rumors said early August... but really, aside from the occasional forum post I haven't heard anything about it since January. (If you're aware of anything I'm missing, I'd love to know more!)

As for the new tablets, it's curious to me that, given the Windows options' premium price, they're using the outdated HD 4000 graphics rather than going with Haswell's better battery life.

I still wish they'd make just a 13HD that can work without a power outlet... it looks like the "Companion Hybrid" shows that's possible, but it has the added cost of Android and processing components I don't really need in a peripheral. Still might give it some thought though... but I'd rather only spend this kind of money on hardware that's exactly what I want.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #43
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
The SPro is actually surprisingly responsive, and love it or hate its design win8 is actually quite smooth.

There's more than just occasional rumors of a Surface RT2 coming out with win8.1 or shortly afterwards, and that's October this year. The Pro is rumored to follow by 3-4 months, so yeah, Q1 2014 seems very likely.

The only big question mark right now is whether the screen on the Pro will be upgraded.
Right now it sounds like they will be going after the small screen market with the RT (probably in two editions), hopefully they will also start going after the slim laptop market with the Pro and produce a 12-13".

That is what I am waiting to see before I pick one up. A slightly bigger screen would be great.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #44
ArcticWolf
Veteran

Tom Kleinenberg
Lead Previs/Layout Artist
Triggerfish
South Africa

I unfortunately agree with Jaco, Wacom are not your friend. The Tabletmod DIY Cintiqs came in at $450, while a 22 inch Wacom Cintiq goes for $2150. Injection moulded bodies don't cost $1700

I am always surprised by what Wacom can get away with. They have a reputation for quality that I don't feel they deserve and I think their update cycle is far too slow to seriously enter the consumer electronics market. Far more likely Samsung (who own 5% of them) or ASUS (who are pretty innovative in the tablet space) will produce something that fits.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #45
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Why does Wacom use old unefficient cpu's on these things. They must be refurbished or unsold tablet pc's, resurrected in a way to maximize profitability and screwing pro artists

Thread Closed share thread