Looks like that Cintiq tablet Wacom was teasing about is going to be Android.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Unsurprisingly expensive, underspecced, and with an absolutely disproportionate price bump for storage.
The bump from 250 to 500GB alone costs MORE than the premium retail price of a 500GB Evo, and I seriously doubt it's anywhere the same quality storage of one.

I had guessed it at 2k+ for plastering a Haswell behind their 13" Cintiq when they first announced it, apparently, and sadly, being a pessimist when it comes to Wacom never fails to align to reality. They exceeded it in badness actually.
8GB of ram and using the integrated intel 4000 and a power hungry Ivy Bridge, Seriously?

08 August 2013
Looks like it's priced in-line with their other products rather than what the rest of the world offers. The Surface Pro is more than $1,000 cheaper, only downside is a smaller screen. The Android version seems the most useful, but they should add a wireless option for connecting it to your PC, since it can get power through the battery it should be a simple thing to just sit at your desk and press a few buttons to connect.
BTW for the people considering buying, don't pay for extra storage, it has an SD card slot.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: My dream is a longer, two button pen and 3 customizable buttons accessible on the front panel of a tablets interface that we could use as modifier keys. That would be a true artist friendly tablet.

Preach it brother!

That is exactly what I want as well.

edit: wow just saw the link on the last page. Terrible pricing as expected, and a ivy bridge in a mobile device? Whats the battery life I wonder?

Last edited by SheepFactory : 08 August 2013 at 04:33 AM.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: edit: wow just saw the link on the last page. Terrible pricing as expected, and a ivy bridge in a mobile device? Whats the battery life I wonder?

Enough to move between rooms without disconnecting from all the cloud stuff it comes heavily bundled with.

08 August 2013
The stylus on the note 2 and note 8 are pretty nice. In sketchbook mobile especially it feels like drawing with a pencil the sensitivity is so nice.

08 August 2013
http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/en/

Ha! It's pretty much exactly what I expected (in a good way). The Android version does seem $500-600 too expensive but the Windows 8 model isn't insane to me. If anything I wish it was a little pokier with some more RAM but I'm happy with those specs.

The closest competition that I've been looking at is the Modbook Pro and that is silly money. I know everyone compares this to the Surface Pro (which I've also considered) but it doesn't stack up. The Surface Pro has maximum 128GB storage (not including the OS) an i5 with 4GB RAM and the pressure sensitivity is not supported across all apps. Some people say this is intentionally Wacom's doing and if that is the case then there is every reason to complain but without proof it's just conjecture.

I know I've mentioned this before on here but like it or not, Wacom target a niche market. The average consumer have never heard of them and the average consumer doesn't care about running Photoshop with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. It's easy to hold their products up against seemingly similar competition and cry foul but the number of units they'll manufacture and ultimately sell is a drop in the ocean compared to Microsoft/Samsung/Apple...etc. meaning it's much harder to swallow the considerable costs of R&D, Design, manufacturing, marketing and distribution.

Last edited by AJ : 08 August 2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added link

08 August 2013
I don't understand the point of making a mobile cintiq if it's saddled with poor battery life. I expect this thing to last about as long as a Surface Pro. Ivy Bridge, Intel 4000 and 4lbs of weight for $2000? Even the new budget ultrabooks are shipping with Intel 4400.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/en/

Ha! It's pretty much exactly what I expected (in a good way). The Android version does seem $500-600 too expensive but the Windows 8 model isn't insane to me. If anything I wish it was a little pokier with some more RAM but I'm happy with those specs.

The closest competition that I've been looking at is the Modbook Pro and that is silly money. I know everyone compares this to the Surface Pro (which I've also considered) but it doesn't stack up. The Surface Pro has maximum 128GB storage (not including the OS) an i5 with 4GB RAM and the pressure sensitivity is not supported across all apps. Some people say this is intentionally Wacom's doing and if that is the case then there is every reason to complain but without proof it's just conjecture.

I know I've mentioned this before on here but like it or not, Wacom target a niche market. The average consumer have never heard of them and the average consumer doesn't care about running Photoshop with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. It's easy to hold their products up against seemingly similar competition and cry foul but the number of units they'll manufacture and ultimately sell is a drop in the ocean compared to Microsoft/Samsung/Apple...etc. meaning it's much harder to swallow the considerable costs of R&D, Design, manufacturing, marketing and distribution.

The cost of parts though is much reduced by how many other companies use the same parts. And most of the parts are widely used. It's also a problem for them to compete with hardware that's much cheaper that also contains their own tech, like the Surface or the Samsung Ativ. Of course those only have 256 levels of pressure, but I'm not sure you'd notice, especially if there's interpolation.

While the new tablets are priced in line with what they already offer, it's easy to compare to what others offer. You could get a Windows 8 tablet and a 13" Cintiq for the same cost as the Windows 8 Cintiq Companion. But the only difference is the Companion offers the tech in one package.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by darthviper107: But the only difference is the Companion offers the tech in one package.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Shade01: I don't understand the point of making a mobile cintiq if it's saddled with poor battery life. I expect this thing to last about as long as a Surface Pro.
"Wacom claims at battery life of seven hours for each model" http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/...droid-versions/

08 August 2013
I find this interesting...

http://intuoscreativestylus.wacom.com/en/

08 August 2013
I personally dont care if my notebook is heavy, but id love to have something along the lines of a lenovo w530 but in a tablet form.

15" screen, 1080 screen, capable of 32gb ram, possibility of 3 hard drives, and can add a battery pack to give some serious lasting power. ( if i just browse the net, it tells me it can last well past 12 hours, and into the 16 hour mark at times. ) When I use modo, with the quadro card on, it lasts 10 hours.

Id love to have that in a tablet.

I was hoping that the asus ep121 would have been powerful due to the i5 processor. It was ok with zbrush, but still kinda meh.

The new cintiq is wayyy overpriced for sure. Would be nice to see a proper 15" version.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by ParamountCell: I find this interesting...

http://intuoscreativestylus.wacom.com/en/

Hey! That's a nice one. Now all we need is Zbrush for iPad.
This is certainly going to cannibalize the Wacom Comapnion Hypbrid tablet.

08 August 2013
8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU for $2,5k
Yeah, I'll buy it never...

Thread Closed share thread