Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Looks like that Cintiq tablet Wacom was teasing about is going to be Android.

Just saw this:

Quote:
Wacom seems to have something cooking this month as it released a truly teasing video about its “next creative evolution” to be revealed on the 20th of August. Although the video doesn’t hint at anything, rumors are going around that it could be the 13-inch Cintiq Hybrd 13HD Android tablet.

wacom-cintiq-companion-hybrid-fcc

Wacom is a brand recognized by every professional and hobby artists for producing the popular line of digital drawing tablets and pens. Wacom’s Cintiq tablets resemble computer tablets but are really just pen, and sometimes touch, enabled displays that attach to a separate computer. Late last year, Wacom teased a portable tablet that turned out to be the Cintiq 13HD, a regular Cintiq in a smaller 13-inch package. Things might turn out differently this time, though, as there have been numerous rumors of a true Android Wacom tablet in the works.

An FCC filing showed a 13-inch device with a Wacom label and the name “Cintiq Companion Hybrid” on the rear. Some specs that have been thrown out include an NVIDIA Tegra 4 1.8 GHz Quad-Core processor, a 13.3 FHD 1920×1080 display, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, and of course, a Wacom stylus, probably the S Pen that is also used in Samsung’s Galaxy Note devices. The company has now released a video, telling us to mark the date on which it will unveil its next big thing, which could very well be this tablet.

http://androidcommunity.com/wacom-c...st-20-20130807/

Color me disappointed. :(

Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

Huge Android fan here so I'm pretty psyched about this. Hopefully (if it does turn out to be true) this will be a lot more responsive than my Samsung Note. Can't wait!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
patfour
Frequenter

Paul Allen Tillery IV
Digital content creator, filmmaker
Atlanta, USA

I'm not sure how "official" these should be considered, but Wacom's page on Facebook has some promotional comics called "Top Secret: The Mobile Tablet Innovation Spy" that tease details about the device.

This one seems to indicate that versions of the device will be offered for both Windows and Android. If that's not the case and it's only Android, I'll be disappointed as well... guess we'll know tomorrow!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Just saw this:

http://androidcommunity.com/wacom-c...st-20-20130807/

Color me disappointed. :(

There's been talk of two, a business one where the touch and pen are more for presentation/discussion (which was always rumored to be a lightweight, battery friendly OS), and an over-beefed artist one, which was supposed (rumored, nothing else) to be win 8.

Don't colour yourself just yet.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Wow, painting on the go I hope. I just hope the software side is up to scratch too though, if it's a true tablet without the need to be connected to a PC or Laptop. It'll be interesting to see if this has a really decent camera too.

Maybe I'm ignorant but why are you disappointed Sheepfactory?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
... why are you disappointed...

Android, honestly... how much more fragmentation on a single platform could we ask for?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
Wow, painting on the go I hope. I just hope the software side is up to scratch too though, if it's a true tablet without the need to be connected to a PC or Laptop. It'll be interesting to see if this has a really decent camera too.

Maybe I'm ignorant but why are you disappointed Sheepfactory?

I am disappointed because I want a Win8 pro tablet like the surface pro but with a bigger screen where I can run full windows apps like zbrush/painter/etc and not another android/iOS tablet.

We will see tomorrow, can't wait.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswalk
Android, honestly... how much more fragmentation on a single platform could we ask for?

Lets not dredge up the fragmentation myth, please.
It's unlikely Wacom will have ONLY that tablet in the line up anyway.

They have a ripe market of cashed up artists they have been successfully drainining every last drop of blood from for years, I'd be extremely surprised if there wasn't a win8 version out as well, much like the surface pro came out in mobile and full versions.

SPro that, for the record, these days has full pressure sensitivity and everything on a full blown platform for 1k, much the same price Wacom charges for the smallest cintiq with no embedded processing power or battery at all. I'm still afraid of what they will feel legitimated to charge for for a full touch and pen sensitive laptop.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
wgan
portfolio
Wee Gee
Australia

screw Wacom, I'm only surprised theres yet a on the par rival to them despite the core patent is now expired (I believe)

Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Samsung ativ, particularly the Ativ Q which looks like it will be $1500. Almost 4 I resolution, 10point touch and Penabled pressure sensitive with windows 8 and emulated android. Certainly looks like the best device until a new surface pops up using haswell for decent battery life.

Why is everyone waiting on a overpriced cintiq tablet at this point. Granted the small pens with single buttons suck in comparison but we'll see what Wacom even includes for a pen as I doubt it will be standard cintiq pens that are big and not easily stored with the tablet.

My dream is a longer, two button pen and 3 customizable buttons accessible on the front panel of a tablets interface that we could use as modifier keys. That would be a true artist friendly tablet.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
balistic
wacom jock

portfolio
Brian Prince
Sr. 3D Artist
IGT
Reno, USA

The AtivQ has fallen off Samsung's radar lately, and nothing new has been heard. It seemed a little dubious to begin with, since it only had 4gb of RAM, and 4k on a screen that small doesn't actually seem very useful for artistic purposes (detrimental even, for apps that don't have scalable UIs). Maybe it will resurface later with more memory.

The best place to keep up with this stuff is the forums at tabletpcreview.com. The people there are super informed about which models have Wacom sensors and support WinTab drivers.

edit: my 7-year-old Toshiba m400 is still going strong, with XP and 2 GB of RAM

Still looking for something to replace it with that isn't either $2400+ (Fujitsu T902), or a major down-grade in some area (non-removable batteries and ultra-low-voltage CPUs seem to be the real achilles heel of sub-1000$ tablets like the Surface)

Last edited by balistic : 08-20-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
Granted the small pens with single buttons suck in comparison but we'll see what Wacom even includes for a pen as I doubt it will be standard cintiq pens that are big and not easily stored with the tablet.

You can buy Wacom-penabled compatible pens with more or less the same form factor as cintiq pens.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
Intervain

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Magdalena Dadela
Senior Character Artist
Ubisoft Toronto
Toronto, Canada

Here's some more information - not surprisingly a hefty pricetag attached.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #14
h3llbl4z3r
Veteran
student

it seems that only the android version allows to be docked to a tower and turned into a regular cintiq. was kinda hoping both would.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #15
patfour
Frequenter

Paul Allen Tillery IV
Digital content creator, filmmaker
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
we'll see what Wacom even includes for a pen as I doubt it will be standard cintiq pens that are big and not easily stored with the tablet.

Again looking at Wacom's teaser comics on Facebook, this one seems to suggest the digitizer will be similar (or even identical?) to the 13HD's stylus. It'd be pretty low of them to dangle out that carrot and then end up giving customers a little crayon-esque pen like so many convertibles use.

Edit: had not seen Intervain's post, which links a much better source of information. Thanks for that!

Thread Closed share thread