Maya 1.0 video from 1998

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #61
Originally Posted by Laserschwert: I think it was that shot... but it wasn't just about that shot, it was a show reel for Power Animator (but not that 2-part showreel you can find on YouTube).

This it? It's in my YouTube favorites.

I also found this a few weeks back.

Old 08 August 2013   #62
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: 3DS v4 for me. I never asked my friend how long it took him to download the 20 something floppies from the BBS he used to frequent. I know his PC stayed on almost non stop and he had a dedicated phone line for it.

And then the magic day we loaded it in the school lab and bzzzz, read error on disc 14 or one of them, lol. That also reminds me of Scream Tracker. Best DOS audio program I'd seen at the time.

I started doing CG with Autodesk Animator and 3D Studio v1.01, and started doing music with Scream Tracker. I wasn't interested in computers at all until I found out you could do art and music with them.

I still have Animator in the original box, complete with two sets of floppies (5.25" and 3.5").

Two of the tracks on my new album were done in Impulse Tracker, which was kind of the spiritual successor to Scream (still DOS-based).

Old 08 August 2013   #63
Originally Posted by balistic: Two of the tracks on my new album were done in Impulse Tracker, which was kind of the spiritual successor to Scream (still DOS-based).
Yes! Impulse Tracker was great. Back when everything computers was still shiny for me.
I love that WinAMP still supports the old S3M format so I can load up Purple Motion and Skaven's old tracks.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08 August 2013   #64
Originally Posted by balistic: Two of the tracks on my new album were done in Impulse Tracker, which was kind of the spiritual successor to Scream (still DOS-based).

Randomly ... I did some work for a Korean piano player that used that. I thought he was nuts haha.

Hey, check this out guys, the Nintendo N64 media video, the expectations are insane. It made it sound like it was going to be reality 2.0 HAHA with the POWER of silicone graphics you won't just play the game , you'll be IN the game...or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z9HmDuYgs

Old 08 August 2013   #65
Anyone remember a set of animations that came with Softimage 3.7 content titled something in the lines of "Physics of cartoons". Those were great.

Old 08 August 2013   #66
Wow. I remember the Maya video back in the day. I was interested in visual effects and wanted any info the how to do it. I was also very naive not realizing that the software cost thousands of dollars. I remember going to one of my schools computer labs which had the brand new iMacs at the time and watching these videos. I was blown away at the time with the software.

I started using 3dsmax shortly after and when I wnt to college and actually physically saw Maya in person I never looked back to 3dsmax which I knew like my right hand at the time.

Everything was so exciting back then. I kind of miss that feeling. CG is so common nowadays that I'm actually more impressed when some one does something practically.

Old 08 August 2013   #67
We started Dneg in 1998 and built the 3D dept around Maya 1.0 - the majority of Pitch Black was done with that version of the software (I think we finished it in Maya 1.5).

Whilst I'm not a really early CG person like some of the posters, I believe I was the first user of Power Animator (or Alias as it was still called at that time) in the games world in late 1992 (though only by a week or so). It had no undo whatsoever back then - awesome!

Old 08 August 2013   #68
Here instead there's an interesting Lightwave 3D history http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/LightWave_History

Old 08 August 2013   #69
Originally Posted by Nemoid: Here instead there's an interesting Lightwave 3D history http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/LightWave_History

The year LW 6 came out was my first siggraph in new orleans. Man it was huge. It is sad how Siggraph expo is a shadow of it's former self.

Old 08 August 2013   #70
Quote: The year LW 6 came out was my first siggraph in new orleans. Man it was huge. It is sad how Siggraph expo is a shadow of it's former self.

always wanted to attend siggraph and never got the chance. sad to hear its not what it used to be.

Old 08 August 2013   #71
Originally Posted by Nemoid: Here instead there's an interesting Lightwave 3D history http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/LightWave_History

And here's something similar for Softimage:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Old 08 August 2013   #72
is some pictures and videos as well here-
https://sites.google.com/site/3dtimeline/

Old 08 August 2013   #73
Originally Posted by Stone: is some pictures and videos as well here-
https://sites.google.com/site/3dtimeline/

I don't know who is responsible for that list and timeline, but it is poorly informed regarding early cgi history. There is no data regarding Wavefront, and only a cursory mention of it. Its really sad to see that this history is not readily available. It gives the impression that in 1986 cgi was just barely getting off the ground. There were names back then that were big players and they are nowhere to be found today. Intelligent Light, Digital Arts, Vertigo, Cubicomp, were all well established by 88. And the list goes on and on.

Joey

Old 08 August 2013   #74
Originally Posted by JoeyP88: I don't know who is responsible for that list and timeline, but it is poorly informed regarding early cgi history. There is no data regarding Wavefront, and only a cursory mention of it. Its really sad to see that this history is not readily available. It gives the impression that in 1986 cgi was just barely getting off the ground. There were names back then that were big players and they are nowhere to be found today. Intelligent Light, Digital Arts, Vertigo, Cubicomp, were all well established by 88. And the list goes on and on.

Joey

im sorry the link is making you sad and upset.

a few points-
- its not a timeline of cgi history or custom movie products.
- its not meant to be exhaustive, but rather a compilation of 3d application evolution.
- there were hundreds of 3d related programs and companies dating way back to the 70s. why would you think wavefront deserves more mention than any of them?
- while the history of 3d and cgi definitely goes way back, 3d applications and availability did indeed take off in the mid 80s as the timeline indicates.
- while wavefront should indeed get a mention it really wasn't made into a publicly available application until '88 with personal visualizer.
- the point of the link was to provide some pictures and movies of those applications, not to define cgi history.
- its not like im being paid to spend time making that list. its still rather accurate and depicts history correctly. to some, that's still valuable.

if you want to make an exhaustive list of cgi history you are more than welcome and I will appreciate reading it.

Last edited by Stone : 08 August 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #75
Irix was pretty rock solid. I can remember only two kernel panics and we reckon that was down to faulty/cheapo memory.

I can remember being puzzled by Maya 1.0 and wanting to throw my beautiful Sony monitor through the window because I couldn´t understand the selection masks but I never ever remember it crashing on the Unix boxes.

Thread Closed share thread