Maya 1.0 video from 1998

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #46
Originally Posted by tswalk: that photo makes me want to mail you a new keyboard... :P

LOL, Someday i'll take the time and clean it, that's a promise!

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 08 August 2013   #47
Originally Posted by Dillster: I have to admit I am impressed by the early Maya video from 1998. I would have been only 3 at the time and looking at it now, I didn't think they were as far advanced as the video shows us.
I know it isn't up to the standards of today, but it's still very impressive all the same.

11 or 12 here. I just turned 27 today (looks at clock... well yesterday). Guess I'm not old yet. The earliest 3D software I ever touched was Max R4. I can see how Maya would have been worth $20k back then. I bet those features were amazing for the time.

Old 08 August 2013   #48
I have Maya 3 demo disk somewhere still.

Thees are some of the first videos I saw of any 3D software and boy they take me back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO9w...8569C4&index=54

and of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzWi...9D2186D968569C4

Old 08 August 2013   #49
Originally Posted by Hooch: Well, I still have the "Maya CD" they gave me back in the day, it was an official presentation in Boston, I think it was at the Science Museum.

So yes, I'm that old!

You are still fairly young mate. There are quite a few "old fogeys" in here. I still have 3ds DOS v3 boxed from 1993.

Old 08 August 2013   #50
Pwah, Maya 1 1998? You younglings had it good. Back in 1986 I was working in Sculpt 3D. Renders that now take a second took all night to render out - at a glorious 4096 HAM colour (320*256) resolution.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG0A13fX038

Old 08 August 2013   #51
Isn't it interesting that the first release of Maya makes such a big deal out of sculpting/painting and was so heavily integrated into the application but it was one aspect of Maya that was really neglected over the years only for it to become one of the biggest technology leaps in the industry 15 years later

Old 08 August 2013   #52
Found this interesting video about Softimage 3.7 I believe it is from 1997 or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxVJXXyPiY

At the time i was not that interested into computer graphics since i still was at fine art academy, but i used to read some related magazines and also about virtual reality.
So I was rather informed on programs used to make those things, at least the names i read in articles related to VFX. So i kept reading about Alias and afterwards Maya.

Also i have a friend Lw user since the Amiga days he also used to use Real 3D and Sculpt 4D and Imagine, then Lightwave.

Was fun to know some things about those programs, like Lightwave and Maya And the nice thing is they were actually alot pionieristic, while me being rather naive, i believed they were alot more advanced than they actually were.

In movies all fx seemed to me just great.

Old 08 August 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Nemoid: Found this interesting video about Softimage 3.7 I believe it is from 1997 or something.

Totally not related to the app's history itself, but that just reminded me of this little piece of gaming history.

This was a tech demo made in 1995 by Sony on SGI systems for the Nintendo 64, right before they jumped ship to work on the Playstation.

I'll say it again, but it's kind of amazing to see how far CG has come in such a relatively short period of time. These "time capsule" videos just confirm that. Just imagine using today's tools 20 years ago. You might not even know where to start.

Old 08 August 2013   #54
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: Pwah, Maya 1 1998? You younglings had it good. Back in 1986 I was working in Sculpt 3D. Renders that now take a second took all night to render out - at a glorious 4096 HAM colour (320*256) resolution.

Yeah. You've got me by a couple of years. I started doing 3D at about 15yo in 1989. I think that all I could afford at the time was the software I'd buy through the mail on floppy from TSL (The Software Labs).

Yeah. Mail order. Seeing as how downloading even a floppy's worth of program from a BBS was pain in the butt back then, it was all mail order. Even then, it was crappy freeware or shareware. That was all I could afford. Some early 3D CAD and a beta to DKB-Trace, the software that would become POV-Ray. I remember that first scene I coded. It took me something like 5 hours to render. Today, that'd take less than a second.

Old 08 August 2013   #55
Originally Posted by thethule: You are still fairly young mate. There are quite a few "old fogeys" in here. I still have 3ds DOS v3 boxed from 1993.

Actually, my first 3d program was indeed 3ds DOS v3.

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 08 August 2013   #56
Originally Posted by trancerobot: 11 or 12 here. I just turned 27 today (looks at clock... well yesterday). Guess I'm not old yet......

Happy Birthday!

Old 08 August 2013   #57
Thanks Dillster!

Old 08 August 2013   #58
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: Pwah, Maya 1 1998? You younglings had it good. Back in 1986 I was working in Sculpt 3D. Renders that now take a second took all night to render out - at a glorious 4096 HAM colour (320*256) resolution.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG0A13fX038

At least you had a 3D app with a "GUI", of sorts. I had DKBTrace. A command line RayTracer and the predecessor to POV-Ray. ie. Create your scene by text-file.

Every new, finished pixel that appeared on screen was a revelation (partially because they were so slow in the coming).

Good times.

Old 08 August 2013   #59
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Good times.

Not really. I remember waiting for my first render to finish. I totally thought my PC was broken it was so slow. Good to know that I wasn't the only one weened on and traumatized by DKBTrace though.

Old 08 August 2013   #60
3DS v4 for me. I never asked my friend how long it took him to download the 20 something floppies from the BBS he used to frequent. I know his PC stayed on almost non stop and he had a dedicated phone line for it.

And then the magic day we loaded it in the school lab and bzzzz, read error on disc 14 or one of them, lol. That also reminds me of Scream Tracker. Best DOS audio program I'd seen at the time.

Originally Posted by cookepuss: Good to know that I wasn't the only one weened on and traumatized by DKBTrace though.
I never got to use it, only read about it and create little graphics on paper that never got to get made, sigh.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 08 August 2013 at 06:03 PM.

Thread Closed share thread