Maya 1.0 video from 1998

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: This makes me feel old not just because I remember PowerAnimator etc.

It's sad to me because I remember when PowerAnimator was still "it" and heavily promoted in trade mags like Game Developer. I bought those magazines when they were new. I remember all of the early Nintendo64 related hype over N-World; That's the same tool which morphed into Mirai, which hasn't existed for close to 15 years now. That sort of pre-Maya stuff makes me feel old at times.

People complain about how this software costs too much, but we've all got it easy nowadays - relatively. PowerAnimator itself, iirc, probably cost close to $20k at the time. That's not even including the cost of an SGI Indigo.

If you look at the $20k software from 20 years ago and compare it to the $0 Blender of today, it really sort of amazing. To me, it's not just, "Look at how far Maya's come since v1.0." It's more along the lines of, "Look at how far all of CG has come in that time." Total mind-bender when you look at it in hindsight.

Last edited by cookepuss : 08 August 2013 at 10:44 PM.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: I remember when photoshop had only one undo...

The first version of Photoshop I actively used was in 1991 - v2.0 on the Mac. I used it in my high school's computer lab.

08 August 2013
oh IRIX how i sometimes miss you.

gotta admit, it was a rock solid platform.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I try not to. I remember watching that weird short when I was getting into Maya in the Maya complete 3.0 days.

Whatever happened to the guy who made that short? I think he made another one after that (Ryan?) but haven't heard from him since then.

Nothing important whatsoever. He did win one some award a few years later... Oscar or something like that

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by CaptainSam: Nothing important whatsoever. He did win one some award a few years later... Oscar or something like that

Give the man a cookie. Best reply I've read in a long time.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by tswalk: oh IRIX how i sometimes miss you.

gotta admit, it was a rock solid platform.

Nope, it really wasn't, you just could do very, very little with it and were entirely locked down the whole chain hardware to end software

It's easy for something to be "solid" when it's limited.

Every time I think I miss those days I remind myself of how those days I had to deal with gen-lock, frame buffer transfers, 10T networks, and major format locks. The nostalgic feelings evaporate instantly.

08 August 2013
You guys all hate Chris Landreth's work? Gosh, I loved Ryan. Shrug

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by MrPositive: You guys all hate Chris Landreth's work? Gosh, I loved Ryan. Shrug

There you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZcLbxxBIE

08 August 2013
I must have watched that Maya 1.0 video a hundred times dreaming about how awesome it would be to be using it instead "crappy" lightwave at the time.

I look at it now and chuckle a little listening to the whole section on Maya software rendering and how incredible it was....

They used to charge per-CPU for that renderer. And for software renderer version 1.0.... oh my!

EDIT: Oh, and I would love to see the Spine. I have to say I love Chris Landreth's overly trippy style. The drugs that must be in that man's system could kill a small horse. Is that film available to watch yet?

08 August 2013
I nabbed an unopened boxed Maya 1 on ebay last year for 10 bucks (plus $85 postage - weighed a tonne).

It has this video reel on one of the cds. Going to post some photos up of it one day for anyone interested to check out.

Always have an eye out for an old SGI to try and load it up on

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

08 August 2013
Quote: I try not to. I remember watching that weird short when I was getting into Maya in the Maya complete 3.0 days.
Whatever happened to the guy who made that short? I think he made another one after that (Ryan?) but haven't heard from him since then.

same here and i remember when chris visited our school.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell: I nabbed an unopened boxed Maya 1 on ebay last year for 10 bucks (plus $85 postage - weighed a tonne).

Yeah. Manuals were always the killer. I remember getting Cinema4D R8 in the mail. I was like, "WTF?!? Did they ship me a small PC in there too?"

The DVDs weighed nothing. However, it came with a boatload of docs. The main manual was easily over 1,000 pages and there was a manual (I think) for every one of the modules. Plus, since I had to write a product review for it, Maxon PR packed even more heavy paper goods into the box. Crazy with a capital "C".

I really feel bad for the poor postal worker who had do deliver it. The box was easily a cubic foot and 11kg. I kept it as a trophy of sorts on my shelf for a few years. Later on, they nixed the printed manuals. Even though the included a consolation "gift" of a branded CD case, I still remember being pretty upset at the time. I didn't need them, but they were still a nice artifact, kind of like the old Ultima cloth maps of yore.

Quote: Going to post some photos up of it one day for anyone interested to check out.

Yeah. That'd be awesome, actually.

Quote: Always have an eye out for an old SGI to try and load it up on

If I spot one, I'll give you a holler.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by fahr:
EDIT: Oh, and I would love to see the Spine. I have to say I love Chris Landreth's overly trippy style. The drugs that must be in that man's system could kill a small horse. Is that film available to watch yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehoFehNFC4

08 August 2013
Slightly unrelated, but here's a video of blenders creator running an early version of blender thats about 20-15 years old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WH0arC4cDw

08 August 2013
If your interested in some serious CGI nostalgia, you'll really enjoy these. This is the system I started with in 1988.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSZbJGWb0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5d6bBTEoTM

Joey

Thread Closed share thread