DisneyToon Studios Planes: Its grounded...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
DisneyToon Studios Planes: Its grounded...

"A visually colorful but otherwise vanilla continuation of the series."

"Has the look and feel of Pixar's 2006 hit, "Cars," if not the latter's charm or strong story."

"This is not an animated film that adults will find very intriguing."

I didn't expect much else, apparently is was supposed to be direct-to-video. Went and saw it with the family this weekend. First, the look and quality are right up there with the rest of Pixar or Dreamworks so it's well made and the flight sequences on the big screen are really cool. But that's about where it ends. The story is so predictable, the characters are very stereotypical. By the end I just wanted it to be over.

The kids of course loved it. My youngest is really into planes right now so he is the reason we went and he couldn't have been happier. Don't expect to be entertained yourself though. I spent most of it trying to figure out who all the voice actors were. There is an aircraft carrier set and the voice actors from the crew were Val Kilmer (Iceman) and Anthony Edwards (Goose) so that was cool. But not why I should be enjoying a movie.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2013
Has the look and feel of Pixar's 2006 hit, "Cars," if not the latter's charm or strong story.
Tom Keogh
Seattle Times

As with "Cars," the world of "Planes" feels safe. A little too safe, perhaps.
Betsy Sharkey
Los Angeles Times

"Planes" is for the most part content to imitate rather than innovate, presumably hoping to reap a respectable fraction of the box office numbers of "Cars" and "Cars 2," which together made hundreds of millions of dollars.
Simon Reynolds
Digital Spy

It's engaging enough, driving home the familiar message of following one's dreams and the less hackneyed theme of facing one's fears. But it feels far too familiar
audia Puig
USA Today

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/planes/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2013
Too bad they missed on Cruise :-)

I mean if you get to have two, might as well as get all three...

08 August 2013
Having said that...
The movie did REALLY WELL

“Planes” Opening Outperforms “Turbo” and “Smurfs 2″

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-offi...fs-2-87160.html

08 August 2013
It opened well compared to some larger budget flops, but it's not a mega-opening. But they really don't have to do much to make their money back on this one because it was so cheap to make, which I am sure plays into their strategy.

I still think it is majorly hurting the Pixar brand, a lot of people were already luke warm on Cars 2, and concerned Pixar is just becoming a phone-it-in sequel factory.. Monsters U was a positive note, but many many people refer to this as "Pixar's Planes", it is not helping.

The trailers alone were so full of every bad animated movie cliche (and animated movie trailer cliche) I couldn't stand it.

Worrying to me is that it is doing well enough that the execs will just want to make this "how things are done", maybe even for higher caliber franchises, like what almost happened with Toy Story, and heck if there is enough noise might still happen to Toy Story. Functional adults would let that story be over and well concluded, but sociopathic studio heads have to keep looking back at those box office and merch totals and not wanting it to ever stop.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by fablefox: Too bad they missed on Cruise :-)

I mean if you get to have two, might as well as get all three...

Hehe, Cruise's salary alone would've been half the production costs.

Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Having said that...

Yeah, it cost around $50 million to make and made $22 million on opening weekend. I'm sure we'll be seeing many more of these.

Speaking of which, I stayed to the end of the credits just in case there was a little something at the end like Pixar always does. Well it wasn't a clip or anything like that. No it was an ad believe it or not. After the credit roll a new logo rolls up with the text "See Dusty Crophopper next in Planes Fire and Rescue!"

I guess this is the new business model.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

08 August 2013
Huh.. only 50 mill?

I wonder if that's significantly cheaper than Pixar's other films, I might go see it just on those grounds.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by NanoGator: Huh.. only 50 mill?

I wonder if that's significantly cheaper than Pixar's other films, I might go see it just on those grounds.

It is WAY cheaper than most of Pixar films by a mile.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Having said that...

“Planes” Opening Outperforms “Turbo” and “Smurfs 2″

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-offi...fs-2-87160.html

I have the utmost respect for every studio that can put out a film in cinemas with a brave face, and have the discipline to finish even the worst films on time and on budget...

But at the "Tier-1 league"? Beating "Turbo" and "Smurfs 2" should not be considered an achievement.

However I would probably say "Planes" met expectations for Disney.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube:
I still think it is majorly hurting the Pixar brand, a lot of people were already luke warm on Cars 2, and concerned Pixar is just becoming a phone-it-in sequel factory.. Monsters U was a positive note, but many many people refer to this as "Pixar's Planes", it is not helping.

Much as it saddens me to say this, Pixar's has gone downhill fast with regards to stories:

Cars 2 - Bad
Brave - Boring
Monsters U - very very mediocre

I just wish they would stop thinking of money for a minute and do what they used to do best, write great stories.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by thethule: Much as it saddens me to say this, Pixar's has gone downhill fast with regards to stories:

Cars 2 - Bad
Brave - Boring

I just wish they would stop thinking of money for a minute and do what they used to do best, write great stories.

I thought Brave was pretty good. I think of cars/planes as the films they have to do because they're so successful and Disney probably demand it. I just hope we have some more films like Up.

Gothic Cathedral Work in Progress
Flickr

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Hehe, Cruise's salary alone would've been half the production costs.

Jack Reacher, from the wikipedia page, the budget is only USD 60 million. Looking at other big names included, I don't think he's paid much for that movie (I tried google-fu but not getting good result on the exact amount). Rock of Ages was made for 70 million. So I don't think he's only available for USD 200 million movies.

Besides, I was thinking more on the 'Less Grosman / Tropic Thunder' involvement type.

08 August 2013
The next docter film promises to be great:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23679764

Gothic Cathedral Work in Progress
Flickr

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by thethule: Much as it saddens me to say this, Pixar's has gone downhill fast with regards to stories:

Cars 2 - Bad
Brave - Boring

Ill give you Cars 2 and Brave.
But I LOVED Monsters U.
ASnd to be fair, this movie was NOT made by Pixar.

08 August 2013
I noticed they used Jason McKinley from Radical 3d (History Channel | Dogfights) as a technical director for all the flying. Apparently his passion for animation and past animation aviation works got him noticed.

Something to keep in mind for all those that want to start a studio, follow a passion and specialize.

Thread Closed share thread