Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

I always assumed that in the earlier days, Mayas SDK and Mel Script made it easier to integrate into pipelines.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Maymoun
maxxcro@live.com

portfolio
Maymoun C

No Comparing, No war, No time wasting .... I wanted Information's and thank you guys

I do use what I am comfort with but I like to watch making of ,breakdowns and I really Influenced by the software they use, even if it not make sense

Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
rendermaniac
Simon Bunker
Shader Writer / TD
Australia

I think Maya becoming popular was more a matter of good timing for Alias Wavefront than anything else wan't it? I was under the impression it came out whilst people were waiting for XSI to be finished and people jumped on it.

This was a bit before my time though so I could be wrong.

Simon

Old 08-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Illustrator, Comic book artist, Storyteller
Italy

Yes it is basically like that, because of the failure of Sumatra project. but they also jumped in with the right thing.
Also i remember Alias wich is the precursor of Maya, was quite popular within the Industry at the time of Terminator and other movies.
http://design-engine.com/a-history-...as-3d-software/
When XSI came out, Maya was adopted yet and despite being a great software didn't offer anything truely revolutionary to make studios switch again.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendermaniac
I think Maya becoming popular was more a matter of good timing for Alias Wavefront than anything else wan't it?

I suppose that you could look at it that way.

In the early days of 3DS, it was the premiere game art tool. As such, its presence was most strongly felt there. Other apps such as Wavefront & PowerAnimator were used, particularly on the console side of things, but 3DS was sitting pretty there.

Back then, for film work, much of the stuff was done on these dedicated workstations from the likes of Silicon Graphics, as you're no doubt aware. As these CG driven films became more in demand, the need for cheaper tools increased.

On the PC end of things, everything was finally coming together. Faster CPUs. Multiple CPUs. More RAM. Multithreading. The advent of powerful consumer level PC hardware really helped make today's CG app market viable. It made it possible for them to, more or less, grab off the shelf hardware and work with it professionally. That put those expensive workstations in serious trouble.

Maya, IMO, was in the right place at the right time. With the likes of Wavefront & PowerAnimator, it already had all of the tools needed for film work. 3DS, now 3ds Max, was still playing catch up. In fact, Max wouldn't include its Character Studio add-on into the base package until 2004/2005.

By that time, Maya already had the name recognition. Alias|Wavefront had already won a the Academy award for Maya in ~2003, a presentation I remember fairly well. With the Oscar behind it, I'm sure that a lot more doors were opened.

I'm sure that there were MANY other reasons why Maya got where it is now, but those are the reasons which stick out to me.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
I am reminded of this famous quote by
Machiavelli (EDITED).
"History is written by the victors."
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Maymoun
maxxcro@live.com

portfolio
Maymoun C

So History play a part

Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
I am reminded of this famous quote by
Machiavelli (EDITED).
"History is written by the victors."

So very true. That's exactly what I think about whenever I see a behind the scenes piece. In one camp, you've got Autodesk evangelists working pretty hard to get that "Made with Maya" stamp on things. In the other camp, you've got the other developers going, "Hey! What about us? Our products got used as much too." <INSERT FROWNY FACE.> In this crazy world, it's often the guy who shouts the loudest who gets heard - for better or worse. It is what it is.

Credit where credit is due though. As much as I want to beat the personification of Maya to death sometimes, it really IS a great app. It's not perfect, but no app is. I've just learned to pick & choose my battles. So, I might be happy with Maya for one task, but might then feel that C4D is more uniquely suited for another. As long as it doesn't disturb my flow then I'm alright. Right tool for the right job, as they say.

Last edited by cookepuss : 08-12-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
To be honest, I know next to nothing about Houdini. So if I was wrong, I'm sorry for talking outta my hinder.

Mainly I'm talking about my experience moving from place to place, starting with Lightwave, C4D, a little bit of XSI, and the eventual shift into Maya. The reason it'll be hard to break from Maya at any of the places I worked at is how deep you can dig into it via Mel etc.

So, yeah, take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm a pixel-grunt, not a historian.

Last edited by NanoGator : 08-12-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
gauranga108
Lord of the posts
portfolio
jake mr
makaha, US

Why is maya used most?

Short answer is more people and studios use it.

Why do they use it?

Cause more people use it.

Do more people use it cause its better? Maybe, maybe not.

Since people and studios have used it for so long they have a lot of investment in plugins, pipeline tools etc.

The more people that are using the program the easier it is to learn, get support from users, get tools for it etc.

There could a new app tomorrow that comes out that's better in all areas of the 3d pipeline and cheaper but it won't matter, cause not as many people use it.

Last edited by gauranga108 : 08-12-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

The way I think about it is like this. When I sit down for dinner, I have a knife, a spoon and a fork. I wouldn't presume to cut my food with a spoon, nor would I try to eat my soup with a fork. For each person's style or studio's needs, there's always a tool best suited for the specific task. Just as there are different types of forks, sometimes apps exist as variations on a theme, with a subset of functionality dedicated to doing only one thing very well.

To me, Maya's just another fork. I may end up using it more often than my salad fork, Cinema4D, but that doesn't mean that I love it any more or less. They each have their purpose beside my full plate. The moment that "fork" becomes in anyway unusable, it's time for some new silverware. Though I will admit that there are artists or studios who have no problem with working around forks like this.

And that's about as far as I'm going to stretch THAT analogy.

Last edited by cookepuss : 08-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Maymoun
maxxcro@live.com

portfolio
Maymoun C

OK, that leads me to another question ... Studios looking for talent and experience no matter which tools you are using , but do you have more chance to work if your tool is Maya ?
they ask for this software that's what I saw in Job section in bigger studios

Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #28
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maymoon
OK, that leads me to another question ... Studios looking for talent and experience no matter which tools you are using , but do you have more chance to work if your tool is Maya ?

Ultimately you have to be employable. If the place you want to work at uses different software than you're accustomed to, then the work you do will have to be good enough for them to worry about converting your output.

I'm not a big fan of the phrase 'chances' being used, although availability is definitely a huge factor in getting hired anyway, how you present yourself makes a huge difference. You have a lot more control over that than you realize.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
lazzhar
Lazhar Rekik

portfolio
Lazhar Rekik
3D and stuff
Algeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maymoon

It's likely because when they need some Maya user they would find him/her quickly.
So yes, as stated many times in this thread, your chances to find a job are better when you are a Maya user only if you are applying to a job at a studio using Maya as a main tool

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Illustrator, Comic book artist, Storyteller
Italy

Not a Maya lover, but it's interesting to note how Alias was the first commercial app even if for high end clients to land within the industry, and Maya which is its descending, still is leader or among leaders.
Very probably due to the connections Alias developed since the start, studios like Disney and ILM, Pixar and other big players, they also managed to create exactly what those studios needed.
And basically what they needed was not THE perfect software, but a software allowing them to code and program and customize in a way that inhouse tools could be hosted quite well, and also act as a good base for a pipeline. Then, it also offer good rigging tools and is good for animation.

Right now things have changed so better tools and programs are surely there. Even if the programmability area. BUT, making a switch for big studios is a huge move, more than what a solo user or a very small studio have to face.

So, for a new software to chime in and conquer that same position, that software should be actually revolutionary in a way it offers paradigms shifts that make working in 3D a better and totally different experience providing great results in way less time. And, also prvide good learning material fro the start.

But this is not exaclty easy also because all traditional 3D applications are based on the exact same concepts, and its not only a matter of tools or workflows, but of structure, opennes , flexibility and programmability.

For example Houdini and Houdini engine seem to be on the right direction, because they bring to the table concepts like parametric everywhere and an engine able to easily prepare tools to use within other apps, and so on. Maybe more ease of use of Houdini itself could do wonders, too.

Zbrush also, brought to the table totally different concepts, more artist oriented, and in facts is a good tool that gained a great position within the industry even if its not a traditional 3D app, never aimed to be a complete solution for DCC and many people find its UI and some workflows horrible. But, it actually changed the vfx world.

So at the end, that's why Maya is mostly used.
Its ancestor was the first; apps that followed were good but not enough better to make a HUGE difference, then when Maya came another paradigm shift came with it which was nodes, MEL, good opennes , programmability and good tools in important areas like animation. And connection with big studios since ages.

What mainly came after was Softimage XSI, but despite it being a fantastic app making huge leaps with every new release it was not a total game changer. It could become though. With Face robot, and then ICE, Avid was trying to provide actually better tools for the user.
So, XSI really threatened Maya at some point, both in terms of tools and marketing.

BUT, imagine what. I the precise moment it could put Maya to shadows, start to gather a larger userbase (especially with foundation edition) Autodesk bought XSI, and its evolution rather stopped even if it has not being discontinued...

Thread Closed share thread