Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
iamhereintheworld
PRO
portfolio
I Am Here
Cyberspace, Viet Nam

Want to sell my story to a studio

Hello,
If I've come up with a story that I'd like an animation to be made out of, how do I go about it?
I'm not sure which studio to give it to of course, generally I'd like the one who pays me the most. Is it possible to do this with studios faraway from my geographical location? (I'm in India).

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhereintheworld
Hello,
If I've come up with a story that I'd like an animation to be made out of, how do I go about it?
I'm not sure which studio to give it to of course, generally I'd like the one who pays me the most. Is it possible to do this with studios faraway from my geographical location? (I'm in India).

Thanks.

I'm going to reserve my usual snarkiness and just say that's not how it works (though that middle sentence I bolded is comedy gold!). Everybody has ideas/stories/scripts they think are great. Most are not, and most (and I mean 'nearly all') have no chance of ever getting in front of studio people who matter, let alone getting made into an actual movie.

Your best bet is to make the movie yourself or as a collaborative project with friends. If it's really that good, it may get you some notice that may open some new doors. But in general, studios are not sitting around waiting for good ideas to come to them. Good ideas/stories are a dime-a-dozen.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

Short flash animation or children's book are probably the most efficient.

I would see what I could get put together for around $1,000; hire the right kind of designer/artist, print a few, whatever the self publishing market would allow for around your budget.

I think a flash animation plus stock sounds and minimal sound production...way out there guess for me, but I would expect an investment for a bare-bones, near student level 3-4 minute animation might start getting legit suitors around $2,000?!? You get what you pay for.

Super barebones would be a prefessional-ish looking wordpress website. Minimum, domain name www.your_story.com..not blogmill.your_story.com or yahoo.your_story.com, accept no substitutes...would come in at around $100.

Make your own action figures...A friend had an unpainted one with decent articulation in 06-7 that cost around $350, so imgine that price has come down.

I am going to speak out against the idea of doing it yourself with friends. I think a few friends of yours might be very skilled in this area or that, but do they really care about your idea? If you do work with friends, you HAVE TO talk about the command structure and legal division of property and assets on day 0. That sucks and isn't fun but you need to establish the rules of the corporation and what might obviously be 51% yours will probably not be so obvious to your friends.

Better to identify 1 or 2 possible strong partners, tops; and be upfront about who's job is what. Then as your skill sets fall short in this area or that; you can see it is a blessing to know what you don't want/don't like/aren't good at/more expensive than/harder to /less efficient than and to accept the fact; and then get the right person for the job, than not have your over-all good idea contaminated by weak fringe components.

Otherwise, work for a company and "get your foot in the door". Or just write a book and self publish via kindle/amazon/reddit for virtually free. If you imagine this as an animated story, then I think you would have to be an improbably good writer to convey the story in written form in a way that people imagine as an animated tale, which is why I started with suggested a children's book above. I mean, could "Cars" have been sold in written form? I doubt it.

And, not to be a jerk, but having a story and writing emails will probably get you nowhere in case you were wondering.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
TeeJayEllis
PRO
portfolio
Tee Jay
Interaction Designer
London, United Kingdom

With all due respect, that is exactly how films do get made.

Random person A writes a screenplay, sends it to an agent/director/studio, if it's good, the movie gets made. If it's bad, it goes in the trash with the fifty thousand other rejected screenplays received that week.

Whilst I've no idea how serious the OP is, suggesting they go try to make their own attempt is crazy talk in my opinion. Did they say the same to Quentin Tarantino when he shopped his screenplay for True Romance?

The reality, of course, is that it's still incredibly rare to have your first screenplay picked up and made, but it does happen.

In fact, isn't that just the way of life for a screenwriter? Write film, submit, get rejected, rinse and repeat until your script is bought?

Again, though, I've no idea how serious the OP is.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

I tried to cover the approach of traditional script writing in America-greater Los Angeles film distribution/production companies with...

Quote:
Otherwise, work for a company and "get your foot in the door".

because truthfully, thinking that anyone with any ability to make decisions and garner resources for your idea is actually going to read unsolicited emails is ...you might have more luck putting your script in a bottle and throwing it to sea...literally, the chances of a movie mogul animation studio exec's kid finding that bottle on a Malibu beach, and that being this cool plot tie in, is greater than the alternative's likelihood. Assuming you drop the bottle in Malibu originally.

I hadn't thought of agents though, that is another resource that would be worth reaching out to.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayEllis
Random person A writes a screenplay, sends it to an agent/director/studio, if it's good, the movie gets made.

I agree that if he has a good idea, he could think about writing a screenplay. Looking at the full 80-90 page document would give him a better sense of how his own idea would play-out as a movie than what he could get with just "an idea." Of course 99.44% of all screenplays don't get bought or made into movies, he should know that, but knowing the odds doesn't stop most beginning screenwriters from trying their hand at it.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:

Random person A writes a screenplay, sends it to an agent/director/studio, if it's good, the movie gets made. If it's bad, it goes in the trash with the fifty thousand other rejected screenplays received that week.

Films get made from spec scripts pretty regularly, but it's very rare for animated films. Enchanted, which was partly animated, was a spec script, but that's the only one I'm aware of from recent decades.

Plus, there's a huge difference between an idea and a script.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:

Random person A writes a screenplay, sends it to an agent/director/studio, if it's good, the movie gets made.

With all due respect, this is utter bollocks. There are hundreds if not thousands of "good" screenplays out there for the making. They (usually) don't get made for any number of reasons (studios aren't interested in that theme this year, production would be too expensive, films are more about dealmaking than seeking out good scripts, etc.). The fact is, people who sell spec scripts and then the film actually gets made is so rare that the numbers are anecdotal. Saying that one or two people have done it does not make it reasonably possible for anyone to do it.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
iikii
Creator

portfolio
Choo Bin Yong
Freelancer
Singapore

yea i agree that you should starts with a screenplay if your are the writer type. If you're the visual type, i can suggest you starts with a making a short trailer/teaser or you can extract the most exciting part of your story and make a short scene.

I don;t know about how submitting to studios works but perhaps you can send the movie to film festivals to get some exposure.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
iamhereintheworld
PRO
portfolio
I Am Here
Cyberspace, Viet Nam

I'd say I'm about 80% serious - I *have* to think in terms of "if this doesn't work, I need something to fall back upon", so right now, I'm teaching myself other stuff as well.
Making the movie with friends is an option that's run out - I've asked everybody I could think of, and the answer was either "no", or they simply didn't reply! :(

Artbot: I think you're being discouraging on purpose for some reason - if no one came up with any ideas, the studios would go out of business, so obviously they DO look for new ideas.

Is there a website for collecting scripts that studios can peruse, much like there are music sites which are frequented by industry professionals?

Oh, and btw, the way I've envisioned my stories - they may suit *2D* animation, like Doraemon, not necessarily Pixar kind of stuff. I would just have to see what kind of stuff both a 3D artist as well as a 2D one would come up with, before I decide what would be better.

Yes, I think the first step to selling my idea would be to copyright it, and then maybe put up the Ebook for sale on the net.....? If it's successful, I think that would increase my chances of getting it made into a film.....?

Thanks everyone (except Artbot).

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
TeeJayEllis
PRO
portfolio
Tee Jay
Interaction Designer
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
With all due respect, this is utter bollocks.

Quote:
Saying that one or two people have done it does not make it reasonably possible for anyone to do it.

"Usual Snarkiness" engaged?

Um, I'd say if one or two people have done it, then that illustrates quite clearly that anyone can do it. A number of people in this thread with far more knowledge than I have already pointed out that it's completely possible. "Unlikely" doesn't make something "Utter Bollocks".

It'd be against all odds, sure, but does that make it "utter bollocks"? I think not. As the OP said, you are coming across as deliberately discouraging.

To suggest it's so rare that you shouldn't even try is a defeatist attitude that would prevent one from attempting many things. At the risk of sounding cute, if you're passionate about something, give it a shot, no matter the naysayers.

Or teach yourself to draw, to animate, and produce an entire prototype off your own back. Because that's a far more sensible idea.

Last edited by TeeJayEllis : 08-11-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
iamhereintheworld
PRO
portfolio
I Am Here
Cyberspace, Viet Nam

Thanks TeeJay

If you've seen the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness", did you see the moment where Will Smith tells his son - "Don't ever let someone tell you you can't do something"? This is like that.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

It may be a negative attitude but it's realistic. You can't actually "do anything you put your mind to"
Just look up the people who have actually done it and compare to your own situation. Usually they weren't actually trying for the opportunity they got. That's the situation where like they wrote a book that became popular or did a short film. They had already done something that they were passionate about and it just so happened that people were interested in taking it further. Usually they also have some big advantage like connections or already being successful in some area.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

Can anybody name a film (big famous feature, or smaller national) that is written by an "outsider" of the studio? I can't really. Though I obviously don't know about every movie made. Hence my question, it would be interesting to know.

Usually they are developed inside the studio, from the ground up, from what I understand.

If I were you, I would wait with the script and make a very developed pitch instead.
So you work rogue for a while, team up with some awesome concept people, and get your idea down visually. Color scripts, character designs, mood pieces. Stuff like that.
Still of course, develop your story.

I doubt coming in with nothing but text, will get you far in animation. Though I am not sure.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I reckon you would want to embrace the snarky posts just as much as the positivo ones. How else would you get a balanced view and life is a mix and lets be honest, it makes reading and replying to threads much more fun.

One thing I have learned about ideas is they really are a dime a dozen and they alway seem amazing while they are floating about in the cerebrospinal fluid of your coconut. The advice you received to draft a screenplay is a really good one. Make one of those and attack your friends and family with it. Ask them for real responses and be sneaky and ask them trick questions to see if they read the whole thing. If these people are still talking to you after a few weeks then you might be onto something!

I also thought that because I got a high score for literature and expression back in college that I could write fairly well, I was wrong and it is much harder than I ever imagined. I don't know how much experience you have with drafting concepts but there are really amazing books on the subject. I am sure members here can point you in the right direction with that.

Very good luck with your en-devour. I hope you transform yourself into an idea factory. We can use all the original and extraordinary ideas we can get.

Cheerio.

Thread Closed share thread