ELYSIUM Reviews: Somewhat earthbound for all it's lofty goals, but not "terra-ble."

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
ELYSIUM Reviews: Somewhat earthbound for all it's lofty goals, but not "terra-ble."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/elysium_2013/

"Furiously exciting sci-fi, carefully considered and loaded with allegories and social commentary."

"For all its flaws, Elysium is an often-absorbing and largely entertaining film from a young director with a great future. That makes it worth seeing -- if not a complete success."

"If ''Elysium'' doesn't nearly live up to ''District 9,'' it shows enough panache to leave us waiting enthusiastically for his next effort."

"It's hard to say if the movie sags around the weight of [Damon's] performance or if he's just working inhumanly hard to hold this heavy-spirited picture aloft."

"Slick and stylish, Elysium shines like the space station at its core - and feels as sterile and generic, too."

"THX-1138 filtered through Halo for the Xbox, Brave New World with more effects and less affect for a timid time of bloated blockbusters, Elysium squanders potential greatness, instead attaining costly mediocrity."

"Overloads with plot and under-delivers on texture."

"It may not be nominated for an Oscar, but Elysium stands as a triumph for those who think sci-fi is nothing more than dumbed down dogfights in space."

"Elicits the same kind of brutal, mature thrills we used to find in sci-fi classics like Aliens and RoboCop."

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Dammit, I was really looking forward to this one too.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
The reviews aren't all terrible. Mostly positive. It's probably still worth seeing.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Looking forward to trailers for this.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Found it!

Old 08 August 2013   #6
I saw it at an Advance screening today, and I don't think I heard a single positive reaction after. IMHO, Elysium is a bad movie with a big budget, whereas District 9 was a great movie with a low budget, and I loved D9 so it was a shame to see this

What was good: The VFX and Syd Meads designs were awesome. Great stuff there

Bad:
*The acting was all over the place. the supporting characters were far more believable and often Jodie's and Sharlto's lines just made us do unintentional spit takes.

* The supporting characters had decent motivation, but the main characters were just empty drones. Worse, every character is just black and white. This is not the wonderful shades of grey writing of D9.

* Cohesiveness: The movie felt very strung together. it felt like different people were thinking up and storyboarding different sequences and someone else had the sad job of trying to tie stuff together. Also nothing really followed the rules of the world. It was just a mess.

Honestly came out very dissapointed because I did very much enjoy D9. I went in expecting maybe something half as good as that, but this was barely that.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
The puns for these reviews are also getting worse.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Originally Posted by berniebernie: The puns for these reviews are also getting worse.

I disagree. They're not getting worse. I think they've been pretty consistently "terra-ble" from the very beginning.

Last edited by webhead : 08 August 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #9
If being filmed in a landfill wasn't enough to turn me off, the "haves" vs. "have nots" story is.

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: If being filmed in a landfill wasn't enough to turn me off, the "haves" vs. "have nots" story is.

Whilst I'll still give this film the benefit of the doubt, my heart sank when I realised this was the plot. The poor Irish folk scene from Titanic still gets my goat.

Old 08 August 2013   #11
Damn, pity the response is so mediocre. :/

Old 08 August 2013   #12
These reviews break my heart.

I haven't seen the movie, and it might be a failure, but it felt so much more promising from the trailer than this nonesense of Power Ranger vs Godzilla that I've just seen.

I loved the District 9 spirit, the designs looked great, great cast...

I guess it's easier to deliver when you don't make promises (or just make dumb promises) and don't try to have any message.

Similarly, Oblivion was a joy to watch but just fell short of being really great because it tried to be really smart without really managing to avoid all the plot holes.

Sad... I hope this won't be the end of this kind of sci-fi and we'll be just stuck with more mindless xplosions and transformers.

Mindless is fun, but sometimes, my brain needs more.

Old 08 August 2013   #13
I thought it was really good.

Some say it was preachy. Id love to know when, because theres nothing to really preach in the movie. It set up a backdrop, and then shit happened. The end.

I've worked on a few movies with drone acting. Didn't see any drones here besides the ones launched from the ships to hunt down max.

Personally as much as I like District 9, I liked this one more.

Old 08 August 2013   #14
I thought it was ok, but nowhere near district 9.
The supporting cast was borderline caricature territory, it needed 15 minutes of character development.

Old 08 August 2013   #15
Didnt like District 9 beyond the fx--most overrated sf film in recent memory. His short films were creative but he isn't a good writer (the nomination for best adapted screenplays is perplexing --I dont think Richard Matheson got a nom for any of his adapted films and was far more deserving).
After watching it I thought it was meant to be a comedy but more often hear people saying it was a serious film with a message ("cant we all just get along?" which I have heard before). If that is what passes for serious sci-fi today, egads.

I think the film's reception as a serious work put him in a position of living up to that reputation. Comedy seemed to be more his thing.

Thread Closed share thread