NEW! 3D Tools for You to Display Your Models

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Content security?

Very cool stuff indeed! But there's one tiny little question - how is our content protected? There are tools out there that can dump all the textures/3d models/etc from a rendered 3D content on your PC - how are you handling that?

08 August 2013
John,

There are tools out there that will rip geometry off the graphics card. It's definitely a concern, but given that we're delivering back compressed versions of your textures and in many cases optimized geometry, what a hacker could get from your work is still only a crude representation of the original. There is no way for them to get your original project files.

Ultimately, it's a question of value vs risk. The upside of being able to show off the detail of your work, for others to truly appreciate, has to be worth more to you than the risk that someone could steal parts of the geometry. We're working hard to move that value needle higher and higher; giving you tools that will help you be more efficient in the way you work, and to show off your skills to your peers and potential employers.

We of course also recognize that some works are not going to be suitable for the public gallery (just like there are some works that you wouldn't show renders of in the public gallery). That's why we have options for private collaboration, to use Verold tools to share only within your organization or with your clients.

Ross

08 August 2013
Getting the hang of this a little bit.
[VEROLD]5217d374ca5da902000006bc[/VEROLD]

08 August 2013
Isnt this just doing what www.sketchfab.com has been doing for few years now?

Raceship (click to view in 3D)

:3

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by MrPositive: I just stumbled on to this today and gotta say that this is the coolest thing I've seen on cgtalk in a while. So simple to use and no separate download and install makes it a true winner. However, I'm not able to switch to the other lit options (wireframe, normals, UVs, etc.) for some reason and keep getting a Javascript? error. I'm using the newest version of Mozilla Firefox. However, I'll be the first to say that it could be user error. I look forward to spreading the news on this one to my cg friends.

I am using firefox 23.0.1 and it is working for me here.

08 August 2013
Smile Structure 1

More I use it, more I like it. But more to learn.[VEROLD]5219229e7458f102000001d0[/VEROLD]

08 August 2013
Wow Ricor, how many triangles is that model? Verold handles it very well, at least compared to my 3ds viewport.

08 August 2013
Cool Structure 1

Hi Telemachus,
I think my transparent object is too heavy and I will decimate it again. I made some tests and many friends and , most important, my wife, cannot see it at all or in high res. I understand that, for Verold, it is very important that most people can use their tool easily. It is a balance between quality and usability. I am learning.
So to answer your question: 1: transparent and 2: frame
1) 1.ztl .... 81 739 k with 1, 107 mil poly. decimate to 53 937 k and 221 556 poly.
1.obj.... 97,531k .................................................. ........18 860 k

2) 2.ztl 13 619 k............................. and 353 586 mil poly.
2.obj (frame) 47 650 k
Now, i will try to change my object in VS.

08 August 2013
It woul be very nice to get p3d.in support too. They have instructions on how to add it to forums

http://p3d.in/faq/forums

Mantis (View in 3D)

08 August 2013
Render me impressed with this wonderful addition to the forums. Thank you guys for working hard on this and bringing such a great function!

I donīt want to sound demanding, but I was wondering, have you guys integrated or considered integrating some sort of animation support? That would be absolutelly killer.

Oh and by the way, not having to download anything to view this is awesome beyond believe.
Cheers!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: Render me impressed with this wonderful addition to the forums. Thank you guys for working hard on this and bringing such a great function!

I donīt want to sound demanding, but I was wondering, have you guys integrated or considered integrating some sort of animation support? That would be absolutelly killer.

Oh and by the way, not having to download anything to view this is awesome beyond believe.
Cheers!

Hi Jonathan,

Animation in Verold launched in the Beta branch about six months ago... it's been a long and arduous process getting it ready for the main branch, but we're getting close. It's real, and not far off - you can see an example of our animation system in action on the Ninja Turtles website we built for Swappz:
http://swappzinteractive.com/teenag...ja-turtles.html

I literally just sent out an email blast asking for sample models as we prepare our official animation release. If you have something we could use for internal testing, please send to me at ross.mckegney@verold.com.

In the blast, I also mentioned our new lighting controls. I know these are going to be a welcome addition, because lighting is critical to getting your scenes looking right

Ross

08 August 2013
Nice new controls for the lights, makes it so much easier. One more thing i'd like in the future is an undo button.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by rossmckegney: lighting is critical to getting your scenes looking right
Ross

Hehe, as a lighter myself, I couldnīt agree more
The turtle animation looks pretty good. Is the ammount of detail on those a limitation or an artistic choice?
Thanks for the info Ross.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: Hehe, as a lighter myself, I couldnīt agree more
The turtle animation looks pretty good. Is the ammount of detail on those a limitation or an artistic choice?
Thanks for the info Ross.

As a lighter, we'd love to get your feedback on what we've built! There's more coming, including the ability to create additional lights, but I'd be very keen to get your thoughts on what we've built so far...

The story of the Turtles is really interesting. Swappz used Verold Studio to streamline communication between the outsourced character artists and in-house animators. Then once the assets were online, they found that this was also a really easy way to share models/animations with the licensors for approval. And then when they went to build the marketing site for the game, since the assets were already in web-optimized format, they put the game assets in their website. I think it makes the website more engaging and fun, and was actually faster and cheaper than building a website from scratch using 2d assets.

So yes, the detail on the models is by design - they're repurposed directly from the mobile game

Ross

08 August 2013
I promise I will test them Ross, as soon as I find some time to do it.
Congrats to you and the team for all the work, the results are fantastic.

Thread Closed share thread