NEW! 3D Tools for You to Display Your Models

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I can't get over how amazing this thing is. Is it possible to embed these at our own websites as well?

From the front-page of their website, under the free license column:
"Embed 3D projects in your website, blog or favorite forum"

From their tutorials:
http://verold.com/blog/2013/1/14/tu...eb#.UhP8FNd0LmE

Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I have not a chance to try this , but
How about Lightwave support guys?
(And yes there are a few of us out there)

Check their website, the "supported" apps only shorten the path the tiniest bit.
You can open up studio and load any model with UVs from standard formats and just pump in the maps in the supported channels from there.
You don't NEED app support to use it, it will simply shorten things by a few minutes.

See here:
http://verold.com/blog/2013/1/14/tu...ne#.UhP8ytd0LmE

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 08 August 2013 at 11:34 PM.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Ramade: Very cool.!! This will probably be the future of portfolios!
Does it work with volumetric? particles? Alembic?!

Good Job

Support for particle effects editing in the Studio is definitely on our list of things to add. Currently, you can create particle effects through code using our scripting API and Three.JS. See my asteroid simulation as an example:

http://dev.verold.com/demos/falling-in-circles/

More information about scripting with Verold Studio is coming in the near future.

We don't currently support importing Alembic files but we won't rule it out if there's enough demand. Animation support through FBX is currently undergoing beta testing.

What specific volumetric rendering techniques are you interested in? Are you looking for a specific type of effect? Smoke? We're definitely want to hear what features are most desired so that we can prioritize implementation.

-Mike Bond

08 August 2013
no sketchfab?

this is great! however..
how come theres no sketchfab support yet?

painted drippy head (click to view in 3D)

they have tons of users! have already been integrated in a few other forums and have lots of comparable features to verold.

on a personal note: most of my models are over there.. it would take forever for me and other cg artists like me to switch to another almost identical service..

cgsociety has support for multiple video sites(vimeo and youtube) seems only fair to have more options for 3d embeds.. Sketchfab.com , p3d.in etc
3D Portfolio

08 August 2013
This is a partnership with a lot more than supporting embedding one or another piece of content from an external website.
It's free for you to port your models over anyway.

08 August 2013
There has been some awesome new work coming in to Verold from the CGSociety community. Really excited to have you guys on board! A couple of my recent favourites:

[VEROLD]5214bdbcd731270200002291[/VEROLD]

[VEROLD]5214ba30f8597d0200001fc1[/VEROLD]

[VEROLD]5213d9a7fc46cf0200001789[/VEROLD]

Keep them coming, and as you test out the platform if there's anything you'd like - just ask. We're always adding new capabilities to let you make your work look as good as it possibly can. Always happy to get feedback!

08 August 2013
Well, I gave it a try, spending a few hours attempting to get it to work for me but with no luck. I found the interface frustrating and not particularly intuitive, especially when it came to setting up lights and materials. Part of the problem came from my use of the FBX format which for some reason doesn't import properly. This may be the fault of 3DS itself, but at first it would save multiple objects that hadn't been selected for export - I had to literally delete them from the scene to exclude them. Also, each time I imported into Verold the normals of some meshes were reversed. I fixed this by flipping them before export within 3DS. Since I got tired of constantly deleting and recreating projects every time there was a fault, I figured i'd just keep uploading the newer FBX file until one looked right. Trouble with that is, with each import it would create as many materials as slots in the original scene file. I ended up with a bunch of empty duplicates (I only needed two actual materials). I figured i'd drag and highlight the superfluous ones and delete them all at once, but the editor doesn't support that. Deleting them one by one takes a long time.

I'll give it another try at some point. I'm not new to 3D applications, having been using them for a decade or so but if I can't even get the import process right i'll have to leave it until there are some basic UI improvements like being able to position lights and more intuitive materials control. Is the OBJ format more reliable? My version of 3DS doesn't support Collada.

EDIT: Oh, I just discovered that it supports more formats than are mentioned on the uploader screen. Not very helpful.
EDIT 2: Using 3DS format yields an "internal error".

Sorry about all the edits. I finally figured out how to "control" the lights. Scrolling a bunch of numbers is tricky to do precisely when they have a weird analogue input that have a "momentum" to them.

Last edited by Telemachus : 08 August 2013 at 07:47 PM.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Telemachus: Well, I gave it a try, spending a few hours attempting to get it to work for me but with no luck. I found the interface frustrating and not particularly intuitive, especially when it came to setting up lights and materials. Part of the problem came from my use of the FBX format which for some reason doesn't import properly. This may be the fault of 3DS itself, but at first it would save multiple objects that hadn't been selected for export - I had to literally delete them from the scene to exclude them. Also, each time I imported into Verold the normals of some meshes were reversed. I fixed this by flipping them before export within 3DS. Since I got tired of constantly deleting and recreating projects every time there was a fault, I figured i'd just keep uploading the newer FBX file until one looked right. Trouble with that is, with each import it would create as many materials as slots in the original scene file. I ended up with a bunch of empty duplicates (I only needed two actual materials). I figured i'd drag and highlight the superfluous ones and delete them all at once, but the editor doesn't support that. Deleting them one by one takes a long time.

Hi Mo,

If you're looking to upload a single model, then OBJ + MTL + Textures bundled into a ZIP file will work fine. We generally recommend FBX, though if your FBX is dragging with it elements of your scene that you don't want, then maybe worth trying OBJ instead.

I hear you on multi-select / multi-delete. It's coming, soon! Along with updates to lighting controls, and the ability to easily re-import assets.

I'm not completely surprised to hear about the flipped normals in your model. Some modelling tools will mask these kinds of issues, until they crop up when sending your work between tools in a pipeline. That said, our importer is quite robust and we try to smooth out these kinds of issues so you don't have to deal with them. If you wouldn't mind, could you send me the problematic model, and we'll do some more investigation here - ross.mckegney@verold.com.

Above all, thanks for the feedback. This is an ambitious project, we're trying to the most sophisticated viewing experience for web 3d possible. There's always more work to do, and we're on top of it!

Ross

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by rossmckegney: Hi Mo,

If you're looking to upload a single model, then OBJ + MTL + Textures bundled into a ZIP file will work fine. We generally recommend FBX, though if your FBX is dragging with it elements of your scene that you don't want, then maybe worth trying OBJ instead.

I hear you on multi-select / multi-delete. It's coming, soon! Along with updates to lighting controls, and the ability to easily re-import assets.

I'm not completely surprised to hear about the flipped normals in your model. Some modelling tools will mask these kinds of issues, until they crop up when sending your work between tools in a pipeline. That said, our importer is quite robust and we try to smooth out these kinds of issues so you don't have to deal with them. If you wouldn't mind, could you send me the problematic model, and we'll do some more investigation here - ross.mckegney@verold.com.

Above all, thanks for the feedback. This is an ambitious project, we're trying to the most sophisticated viewing experience for web 3d possible. There's always more work to do, and we're on top of it!

Ross

Thanks for the quick reply. As I said, i've worked around the normal problem. I was using 3DS 2012 to export, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a bug in that software, something Autodesk are infamous for. The materials thing is a bit strange, but i've worked that out too. I just feel it would be so much easier to drag and drop, or to have a split pane where you can see your textures and your materials at the same time. The lighting thing feels a bit "mushy" in operation but I can use it now. It was just a little strange to see a spinner behave like that. Imagine if they were like that in Photoshop . One further question; does the system only support normal maps or can it handle bump-maps (grayscale) too? Thanks again.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Telemachus: One further question; does the system only support normal maps or can it handle bump-maps (grayscale) too? Thanks again.

Currently, we only support normal maps. Greyscale bump map support is on my list of things to add but, so far, not too many people have asked for it. If this is something really important to you, I can bump up the priority a bit (pun intended). For now, you can always use Nvidia's normal map plugin for Photoshop (or similar tool) to convert your bump maps to normal maps.

-Mike Bond

08 August 2013
I tried uploading my Obj model and my jpeg diffuse texture (in a zip file) but the texture doesn't appear. I can't find if I am supposed to manually attach it to the model.

Do specific file types work best?

Could I use .PNG's with an alpha channel and the alpha is displayed?
Or is there a separate transparency section for an image to go into?

Looks very exciting stuff and can't wait to get it to work properly for me

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by liamkirkman: I tried uploading my Obj model and my jpeg diffuse texture (in a zip file) but the texture doesn't appear. I can't find if I am supposed to manually attach it to the model.

Textures included in the zip file will be visible in your asset browser at the bottom of the screen. If you included a material file (.MTL) with your OBJ that references textures in the zip, those textures should automatically get assigned to your material on import. If not, you can assign the textures yourself by editing the material in the Studio. First, select your material and make sure that the material type is anything other than 'Simple' ('Standard' is the default). Under "Diffuse Color", you will see a "Diffuse Texture" option that you can enable and choose your texture from a drop-down list.

Originally Posted by liamkirkman: Do specific file types work best?

For materials, FBX and OBJ probably work the best but, again, for OBJ, you need to include an MTL file inside the same zip as your model (OBJ doesn't contain any material information itself).

Originally Posted by liamkirkman: Could I use .PNG's with an alpha channel and the alpha is displayed?
Or is there a separate transparency section for an image to go into?

Yes, you can upload .PNG's and use their transparency info. In the material, make sure that you have assigned your PNG as the "Diffuse Texture" and then set the "Alpha Mode" to "Transparency".

Please let me know how it goes.

-Mike Bond

08 August 2013
Thumbs up

Ah Mike thank you for the quick response.

Quote: If not, you can assign the textures yourself by editing the material in the Studio. First, select your material and make sure that the material type is anything other than 'Simple' ('Standard' is the default). Under "Diffuse Color", you will see a "Diffuse Texture" option that you can enable and choose your texture from a drop-down list.

Worked as exactly as you said. The time I was trying it before I had completely missed that under the diffuse section it created even more drop downs.

Will have to try this with some more complicated models and textures to truly put it to the test.

Can't wait to play around with it more. I definitely see the potential for showing to peers for feedback, clients for approval and to freely share to friends. Excellent work on the website/software!

08 August 2013
Smile Number 3 test

[VEROLD]50a3d79af43211020000020b[/VEROLD]
VS is a very great tool but needs some efforts to learn. The requirements and the
limits should be clearly indicated on the interface (format, size, polygones, etc).
The partnership Verold-CGS is a realy good thing for CGS members.

Last edited by ricor : 08 August 2013 at 02:57 PM.

08 August 2013
pretty awesome

08 August 2013
I just stumbled on to this today and gotta say that this is the coolest thing I've seen on cgtalk in a while. So simple to use and no separate download and install makes it a true winner. However, I'm not able to switch to the other lit options (wireframe, normals, UVs, etc.) for some reason and keep getting a Javascript? error. I'm using the newest version of Mozilla Firefox. However, I'll be the first to say that it could be user error. I look forward to spreading the news on this one to my cg friends.

Last edited by MrPositive : 08 August 2013 at 06:20 AM.

Thread Closed share thread