Clips of Imagi films that never were: Gatchaman/ Zelda

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
Originally Posted by hypercube: You did watch the actual live action Gatchaman trailer, right? It kind of shows some of the problems of "darkening up" the franchise, though I actually like the suit designs for the most part.

http://youtu.be/uLDEJvOF7mg

I don't think everything has to be bright colors, but it doesn't have to be black or gunmetal or stealth fighters all the time either. Look at some of the realistic Alex Ross renditions of the characters or some of the other ideas and fan art being passed around..bright and/or colorful can look extremely cool.

Think of it if it were done in the style of Oblivion or Elysium.

We didn't actually get a good look at the Phoenix in that one. For the most part it appears they did go with a "sharp-angled dark colored redesign"... But I think I for one would have wanted the same "Bird's Beak + Gills" type design language of the original.

Not sure if it was "darkened", but it definitely felt non-committal (when all the characters fight together it looks like you're watching Power Rangers without even the brutality of the original show) and I'm not sure I'm happy the "feathered capes" became just regular capes. Why'd they even have to be capes? Couldn't they make them these actual "flexi-hard wing things"? In the cartoons, the capes seemed to be an early example of the Batman "smart cloth" cape that hardened into parachutes and seemed to defy gravity when landing.

I think I would have rolled the dice on "Gunmetal Blued" EVERYTHING with highlights so the suits would be gun-metal blue with different color highlights per character with almost everything either hard rubber or armor plating, and the phoenix would be the only one with red highlights.... And Alien Over-Technology up the wazoo so that some of their weapons would have these "transformer sequences" before unleashing death onscreen to nameless Galactor extras.

From Imagi's trailer, I also felt like they were going to do some kind of "start stop full throttle 3-point landings" action sequences... I think I would have gone instead with something more similar to the Hong Kong sequence in "The Dark Knight"... you know the Galactor guys are doing their thing and there's this anticipation that the Gatchaman are coming but you as the audience know it ahead of anyone and when it happens it's like when Batman just suddenly appears at the windows and smashes in and suddenly all the guns are going off and all these alien over-tech weapons and things.... But it's not going to be over-dark or anything cause obviously these alien weapons are their own light show.. so it's a bit like there's flashes of bright light occasionally (particularly for these new-fangled gatchaman blasters that are like these hand-held rail guns or something)... So you see flashes of these really awesome characters.

Basically like "Batman XCOM-Late-Game squad with trick parachute capes"....And they'd be some kind of Japan Defence Force secret branch thing....

Yeah yeah.. cry your eyes out you fans of the original! lol

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #17
When a trailer looks half great half terrible like this I'll usually try to support the movie so that more money goes into the next one and they can fix the errors.

Old 08 August 2013   #18
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: When a trailer looks half great half terrible like this I'll usually try to support the movie so that more money goes into the next one and they can fix the errors.

Don't you mean "put more money for CGIPadawan's gunmetal-blue-overhaul of the movie"?
j/k! lol!

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #19
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Don't you mean "put more money for CGIPadawan's gunmetal-blue-overhaul of the movie"?
j/k! lol!

Lol I'm in the rare position where I understand both sides of the current debate equally which is why I won't weigh in.

Old 08 August 2013   #20
Oh and my idea isn't just about "cool factor".... I honestly thought if I had to rate all the superhero groups ever conceived in the East or West, one of the most cruel and sadistic groups has to be Gatchaman. They used to do these gags on the show where they use the bodies of Galactor troops to wedge doors and things.

In that way their mandate seems more in line with Navy Seals/Rainbow Six ("Call us when the situation is so dire that you don't want any prisoners"). So I really would have wanted a style that emphasized the "aggressive almost villainous response" Earth would have taken to a Galactor force invasion in the form of Gatchaman.

So the candy colors have to be more subdued if that's the take on it.

Gatchaman gadgets in my view would have included all manner of torture devices and alien translator devices while they beat up the poor railgun-shot-riddled alien that survived their attack with Ken the Eagle barking: "Where are the hostages?" while using some high-tech electric torture device because there's this severe time limit thing to save everyone.

That kinda vibe.

One thing I will retain though is that raspy voice saying "Gatchaman!" In fact, I always imagined that was the voice Ken the Eagle would use as well.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2013 at 01:29 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #21
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Oh and my idea isn't just about "cool factor".... I honestly thought if I had to rate all the superhero groups ever conceived in the East or West, one of the most cruel and sadistic groups has to be Gatchaman. They used to do these gags on the show where they use the bodies of Galactor troops to wedge doors and things.

In that way their mandate seems more in line with Navy Seals/Rainbow Six ("Call us when the situation is so dire that you don't want any prisoners"). So I really would have wanted a style that emphasized the "aggressive almost villainous response" Earth would have taken to a Galactor force invasion in the form of Gatchaman.

So the candy colors have to be more subdued if that's the take on it.

One thing I will retain though is that raspy voice saying "Gatchaman!" In fact, I always imagined that was the voice Ken the Eagle would use as well.

Many of the original Japanese versions of these type of team action shows are way more violent than American versions, so how you treat it depends in part on who your target is for the reboot. While I hate most Japanese writing, one thing I do like is their silly/over the top approach to brutal things, but that absolutely does not translate to most countries.

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: Many of the original Japanese versions of these type of team action shows are way more violent than American versions, so how you treat it depends in part on who your target is for the reboot. While I hate most Japanese writing, one thing I do like is their silly/over the top approach to brutal things, but that absolutely does not translate to most countries.

I think the way I'd "globalize" it would be to ground the Gatchaman rules of engagement in the Tom Clancy Fifth Freedom Concept

Basically, if you can imagine an alien invasion film that does away with most of the "movie villain tropes" that allow the Earth to stage a "benevolent defence".. you are left with only a means to defend it as if you are in perpetual "Fifth Freedom" mode.

I think at the end of the day Gatchaman was very shallow, but I think it would be interesting as a treatise of "zealot behavior" (Berg Katse) vs "Extremely dedicated behavior" (Gatchaman) and the terrible good/evil that can come from it.... and the question of are you more human if you go through such a powerful expression of your being.. or are you less because of it.

Berg is a special case because there's a hint of self-loathing in his/her near suicidal strategy to trying to win the undeclared war against Earth.... But Gatchaman through equal (or worse) aggressive behavior pin their personal masts more and more to "victory for humanity at any expense".... but does it make them better people?

That's how I'd want to tell that story.

Old 08 August 2013   #23
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I think the way I'd "globalize" it would be to ground the Gatchaman rules of engagement in the Tom Clancy Fifth Freedom Concept

Basically, if you can imagine an alien invasion film that does away with most of the "movie villain tropes" that allow the Earth to stage a "benevolent defence".. you are left with only a means to defend it as if you are in perpetual "Fifth Freedom" mode.

I think at the end of the day Gatchaman was very shallow, but I think it would be interesting as a treatise of "zealot behavior" (Berg Katse) vs "Extremely dedicated behavior" (Gatchaman) and the terrible good/evil that can come from it.... and the question of are you more human if you go through such a powerful expression of your being.. or are you less because of it.

Berg is a special case because there's a hint of self-loathing in his/her near suicidal strategy to trying to win the undeclared war against Earth.... But Gatchaman through equal (or worse) aggressive behavior pin their personal masts more and more to "victory for humanity at any expense".... but does it make them better people?

That's how I'd want to tell that story.

I had no idea the story was so sophisticated but that must be because I only saw the western version. To be honest, unless they went with more realistic human proportions (paid one of the aforementioned awesome fan-artists) it doesn't have as much appeal to an older geek like me - it's more like a show redesigned for much younger kids by making their adults look like kids (or Power Rangers), as is the perplexing and utterly pointless fashion these days. Kids have playschool, teens actually dream about being grown up and actually "cool" so while execs are playing it safe by altering the franchise this way, they're losing the audience they're trying to include in the first place. This show could be absolutely badass if they just focussed more on the cool factor...

Old 08 August 2013   #24
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: I had no idea the story was so sophisticated but that must be because I only saw the western version.

No no no.. .you're just reading my interpretation of it which basically is: "Pit the immovable object against the unstoppable force and watch the sweat, blood, tears, and fireworks."

And of course there have to be quiet moments... Where you learn that deep down Ken and the others just want the war to end... etc etc. But if there is to be any peace.. they have to FINISH what the maniacal Galactor have started.

It's like a sci-fi version of what you would have if you plucked bits and pieces from the various wars of independence, and rhetoric about defying Imperialist governments.

But again.. that's just my version.

I doubt Imagi was going there particularly because in my version Junpei the Swallow would have to be a much older character (but can probably still be the youngest/shortest member of the team)... Because "child soldiers" is something I don't want to bring up. lol.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread