CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Clips of Imagi films that never were: Gatchaman/ Zelda

This if from an animator reel:
Before Imagi entertainment went bust (thanks to Astro boy) they had a couple of cool projects
One of them was Gatchaman film, and the other one (and this news to me) a Zelda film.

You can see what might have been here:

From the Adam Holmes demo reel:

http://adam-3d.com/?cat=28
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOyZYJ7wRvc

a more direct link...I cannot imagine that this will stay up...of course...it will always live forever on the internet, I am sure.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

...aaand... that would have been really good as a TV show...I can't see from the clips how it would have really popped as a theatrical release.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
Still don't like their aesthetics. Everything feels too plastic toy-ish.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Anchang-Style
Frequenter
portfolio
Matthias
Hamburg, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Anchang-Style Send a message via MSN to Anchang-Style
I can see Zelda in a full blown larger than life Advent Children Level movie but not a toy like the incredibles like look. I mean you can think about it as a movie what you want but for fans of the franchise Advent Children just delievered visually (just stunning) in terms of fan service and action. If they ever deceide to do a Zelda movie (why did it not happen yet Nintendo? your number one frnachise that could sustaine a movie plot) thats what it needs: jaw dropping visuals and fan service to the limit.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
It seems they really liked the Ben-10 aesthetic.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

The Phoenix looks cool..

Loved this show as a kid when it was retro 70's animation with cheesy music and called "Battle of the Planets". Re-visiting it recently though, it was pretty cheesy in every respect.... : ) Takes me back.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFibrow
The Phoenix looks cool..

Loved this show as a kid when it was retro 70's animation with cheesy music and called "Battle of the Planets". Re-visiting it recently though, it was pretty cheesy in every respect.... : ) Takes me back.

Yeah, but let's face it.. you make "Gatchaman" today.. you don't want to take people BACK you want to take people FORWARDS.

The Phoenix should have looked more like a stealth fighter, and you can go back a bit to research military fighting technology for squads that involve flight gears, grapnels, and things..... or even introduce the concept that Gatchaman uses Militarized-Alien-OverTechnology... much like the Galactor Force weapons etc etc.

Yes yes, that's going to look like 5 Batman characters in a flying Batmobile.... But won't that be cool?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Yeah, but let's face it.. you make "Gatchaman" today.. you don't want to take people BACK you want to take people FORWARDS.

The Phoenix should have looked more like a stealth fighter, and you can go back a bit to research military fighting technology for squads that involve flight gears, grapnels, and things..... or even introduce the concept that Gatchaman uses Militarized-Alien-OverTechnology... much like the Galactor Force weapons etc etc.

Yes yes, that's going to look like 5 Batman characters in a flying Batmobile.... But won't that be cool?

Gonna have to disagree with you there. You have to be sensitive to the elements of the original that made it cool and bring little waves of nostaligic joy to those who remember. That means the vents stay and the blue and red too. Luckily in sci-fi, colours are totally fine and add to the awesome... the Phoenix was in no way stealth - it was a freaking firebird! : )No need to hide when you're that powerful.

I get why you'd want a stealth version, all dark and brooding etc, but to do that would be a wasted opportunity to grab people with the original colour scheme and make it uber-futuristic.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Gonna have to disagree with you there. You have to be sensitive to the elements of the original that made it cool and bring little waves of nostaligic joy to those who remember. That means the vents stay and the blue and red too. Luckily in sci-fi, colours are totally fine and add to the awesome... the Phoenix was in no way stealth - it was a freaking firebird! : )No need to hide when you're that powerful.

I get why you'd want a stealth version, all dark and brooding etc, but to do that would be a wasted opportunity to grab people with the original colour scheme and make it uber-futuristic.

Well it was just a suggestion.... lol.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Well it was just a suggestion.... lol.

I have to catch myself correcting people on the internet. ; ) Nothing wrong with all black paintjobs if that's your thing.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
I have to catch myself correcting people on the internet. ; ) Nothing wrong with all black paintjobs if that's your thing.

Actually I was thinking of a special paint that looks like the "blued" finish for firearms?

Geez! I have to catch myself also from going into "Pre-Viz" mode for all the recent film news. lol.

It's not my movie! lol!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

You did watch the actual live action Gatchaman trailer, right? It kind of shows some of the problems of "darkening up" the franchise, though I actually like the suit designs for the most part.

http://youtu.be/uLDEJvOF7mg

I don't think everything has to be bright colors, but it doesn't have to be black or gunmetal or stealth fighters all the time either. Look at some of the realistic Alex Ross renditions of the characters or some of the other ideas and fan art being passed around..bright and/or colorful can look extremely cool.

Think of it if it were done in the style of Oblivion or Elysium.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

Agreed. The colours can easily be desaturated a little to make it less SpeedRacery (if you're not into that level of colour).

That could bring us a gunmetal blue with deep red Phoenix, no probs.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
DoubleSupercool
Supreme Overlord 2IC

portfolio
Matt French
Japan

I interviewed with Imagi over in HK while they were doing Astroy Boy and I got to see some of the Gatchaman concept stuff. Overall I thought AB was pretty good and suited their aesthetic but I was disappointed by Gatchaman.

These were the two anime that were my life as a kid in the early 80's so I would have loved to work on them, but HK pay rates were . . . very low.

Thread Closed share thread