Blu-ray replacement?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Here's an interesting article about 4k. It's pretty reveals what we all suspect the problems it has. In of course the relevance of replacement to blu-ray.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/4k-ultra-hd-tv-faces-bandwidth-challenge-to-get-into-homes-1200570763/

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Sil3: Im so glad i did not enter the BR freenzy... got fed up with DVDs getting half price 6 months after I got them and to be honest I probably saw the same movie twice in very rare occasions, life is to short to keep watching the same over and over so collecting Movies is a thing of the past for me.

You're missing out. And if you wait long enough everything is cheaper, sort of a weird way to look at entertainment.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: You're missing out. And if you wait long enough everything is cheaper, sort of a weird way to look at entertainment.

Not really to be honest. Movies I really want to see I go to Cinemas, thats were movies are to be seen anyway. I kept finding Making Offs and Behind the scenes sub par and not really interesting to me anymore (apart from some DVDs). Too generic for my taste and they were one of the main reasons to buy a movie on DVD.

Besides I don't need to collect anything to appreciate it, friends of mine tend to collect all the movies they like and a nice dinner or weekend afternoon at their house can put me on pair with the latest releases

And I don't die if I didn't saw a movie or read the latest book from X or listen to the latest Album from bandX either.

08 August 2013
It is irresponsible to push more wasted plastic into the world than there already is. It's like Michael Jackson singing save the world, then selling millions of cds just to screw things up a bit more. Why waste the energy to make needless items when a fraction of that energy could be used to transfer the information with no refuse at the end.

08 August 2013
Funny how short sighted this industry is. 3D isn't working so now 4K.
And its suppose to take off and keep the big corperations in profit for the next 20 or 30 years?! Good luck with that. FAIL!

They need to go beyond the 'television' if they want the consumers to go crazy for something. Holodeck anyone? I am only sorta joking.
But really a 'screen' in itself is a bit of a dead horse when you think about it-what else can they really do to it? make it 'bigger' or 'smaller' it doesn't have much of a future if you ask me...

08 August 2013
I came into the bluray game late. I had hundreds of DVDs in my collection and thought I can't afford to replace them. I eventually gave in to Bluray thanks to price drops and it is without doubt the best quality I need really. 4K means new tv, new player new discs (more cost for vfx!) and I ain't getting suckered in for a 3rd time. The companies need to remember, most consumers bought dvds then moved to bluray.. they are growing tired and wallets are tighter these days. I am more than happy with bluray. I used to also buy on release but now wait a couple of months and save over 50%. There is no such thing as loyalty to customers.

The latest gimmick I find so funny are these bluray release which are also dvd and ultraviolet. Where else can they go?

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: It is irresponsible to push more wasted plastic into the world than there already is. It's like Michael Jackson singing save the world, then selling millions of cds just to screw things up a bit more. Why waste the energy to make needless items when a fraction of that energy could be used to transfer the information with no refuse at the end.

You could argue that it will result in less wasted plastic... since one disc will replace 6 bluray ones

08 August 2013
Who needs 4k when kids are just watching compressed youtube channels on their 4" phones? Seriously I really doubt the new generation of consumers are interested in buying this stuff.

Last edited by theta2 : 08 August 2013 at 06:25 PM.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: You could argue that it will result in less wasted plastic... since one disc will replace 6 bluray ones

That is very true. Would be nice to aim for no plastic though.

08 August 2013
Odd when you think about it.
I still have and listen to CDs that I bought in the 80's.

Meanwhile I've have data on more than one type of storage media
that no existing hardware can be bothered to support any more so its pretty useless. Data tape anyone?

So will your 'thumb drive movie collection' still run on *anything out there* twenty years from now?! Also not exactly environmentally easy to dispose of in its own right-either is it? Now picture everyone with 100 or so.

Hey why bother to keep *anything*!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Hehe, except when the rewind would pop the tape off the spindle. Then you have to take it apart and fasten it back together depending on if the tape ripped or the chuck fell out. Good ol' days.

Redbox rental DVDs are right up your alley then. Absolute 0 special features. I dig all the behind the scenes though and they still spin up faster than the later VHS which had several trailers piled in the front.

Well that was fun.

Can't remember the last time I saw a "special feature" on a disc that wasn't a bunch of actors stroking each others, and the directors, ego's.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by wurger: Can't remember the last time I saw a "special feature" on a disc that wasn't a bunch of actors stroking each others, and the directors, ego's.

The Ben Hur special features are outstanding, and the special edition packaging has Charlton Heston's diary from the movie set. Highly recommended and IMO up there with Wizard of Oz as the biggest revelation to watch on bluray among the old epics.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: That is very true. Would be nice to aim for no plastic though.

That mentality is giving strength to this ridiculous portal economy form of ownership where companies sign and lose license agreements and everyone depends on them for access to content. No thank you.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: Odd when you think about it.
I still have and listen to CDs that I bought in the 80's.

Meanwhile I've have data on more than one type of storage media
that no existing hardware can be bothered to support any more so its pretty useless. Data tape anyone?

So will your 'thumb drive movie collection' still run on *anything out there* twenty years from now?! Also not exactly environmentally easy to dispose of in its own right-either is it? Now picture everyone with 100 or so.

Hey why bother to keep *anything*!

Not odd at all. I reckon there are people who still listen to cassettes and eight tracks and real vinyl records! Would those users be a minority though? As far as your comment about 'why keep anything' well we land in this world nekkid and are sure gonna shoot out the other side the same way, although hopefully a lot later.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread