CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
thekillingroad

portfolio
Canada

Question First paid work - excited to get paid but not sure how.

Hi everyone,

I am a digital illustrator and I'm process of landing my first paid freelance project. I've worked for clients before but for smaller projects. This one is for personal project for a client that might lead to future work and I like the concept which makes me even more motivated to work on it.

As much as I'm looking forward to working on this, I've never worked with a client online. My question is: How do I get paid? I have a business model and contract to sign, but I'm not sure about the nitty-gritty details. The go-to option is PayPal, but they take a percentage. What are other ways I can collect a pay for an illustration project? What service do you use? I charge for each stage of the work done so we're talking about multiple payments. Security for me and my client are a priority of course, but I also don't want to scare my client into signing a hefty form just to get a payment across. If the client is in the same country, are there other ways of payment?

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback on this.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Why not simply use a direct bank transfer?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
thekillingroad

portfolio
Canada

What would that entail? If we have different banks, how do I set up a direct transfer? What kind of banking information do I ask from my client?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
I think it's basically a "you give them the numbers shown at the bottom of your check book" and they go their bank and do a transfer using that account info.

Doesn't matter who uses what bank.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
_vine_
Know-it-All
CAM
Character Artist
USA

Send a message via AIM to _vine_
This is also called a wire transfer. Just check first regarding fees. You may or may not have any for the sender and recipient.

Personally, I prefer large boxes of money buried under a "X" in desert climes.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
alecVx
portfolio
Australia

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vine_
This is also called a wire transfer. Just check first regarding fees. You may or may not have any for the sender and recipient.

Personally, I prefer large boxes of money buried under a "X" in desert climes.

OMG yes! Getting paid is only half the fun, the other half of the fun is finding & digging up the buried box of money in the dark of the night, oh the joy of it all!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
vlad74
Expert
portfolio
Vladimir Venkov
freelancer
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekillingroad
What would that entail? If we have different banks, how do I set up a direct transfer? What kind of banking information do I ask from my client?

Recently I had similar situation and these are the details I sent to the client: I think they are enough to make a transfer.

Identifier Code (BIC)
IBAN
Sort Code
Account Number

Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

If the client is in the same country, bank transfer would be fine. If you are dealing with a client internationally, I have found Paypal to be the quickest and easiest for both parties. I usually add a surcharge to cover the paypal fees. Maybe it's 4% these days.

My Folio website
LODE Facebook page

Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
thekillingroad

portfolio
Canada

Talking

Thanks everyone for your input. I just arranged email banking with my client so it looks like it's going to work. For some reason I thought nowadays everyone has a web app they use for these sorts of things - seems like good old banks is still a way to go. I simply don't have experience yet so thanks again for clarifying this.

I'm off to write a contract for my illustration. Once again a first but I think I found a few resources to help me with that.

Cheers!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
fig
designer of stuff...
Chris F
graphic/interactive designer/aspiring animator
Houston, USA

Send a message via AIM to fig
Was there a reason not to just use a check?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #11
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWBell
If the client is in the same country, bank transfer would be fine. If you are dealing with a client internationally, I have found Paypal to be the quickest and easiest for both parties. I usually add a surcharge to cover the paypal fees. Maybe it's 4% these days.

This works well when your going from the UK to the US, and the tab is under $500 or so. The exchange rate is favorable to USD, but I'm not sure about CAD.

Did you incorporate youself with the Canadian equivalent to the American LLC? You could send an invoice to your client, and they could mail you a check. The invoice serves as an official document so if things get nasty and go to court, you'll have some documentation with a post mark. It's also handy for tax purposes. Although I think this only applies if your client is in Canada. I know nothing about Canadian laws, so I probably shouldn't even be chiming in.

-AJ

Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
karipaints
Illustrator

portfolio
Kari Günther
Illustrator
Düsseldorf, Germany

Quote:
Was there a reason not to just use a check?

Not sure about other countries, but as an American who moved to Germany, I've discovered no one uses them here. I don't think the British use them either.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karipaints
I don't think the British use them either.
Yeah we still use cheques here (sadly). Most American/Candadian clients prefer to pay by cheque as it bypasses any fuss with fees for processing international payment (from their side at least).

To the OP, as others have said, you need to give your client your bank details (acc no, sort/IBAN/EIN...etc.), it's up to them to organise how they get their money into your account.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
karipaints
Illustrator

portfolio
Kari Günther
Illustrator
Düsseldorf, Germany

Quote:
Yeah we still use cheques here (sadly). Most American/Candadian clients prefer to pay by cheque as it bypasses any fuss with fees for processing international payment (from their side at least).

It is always funny for me the anger my German friends get when they are sent a check. If only my American friends knew of our ancient technology :P

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
thatoneguy
Interesting User Title

portfolio
Gavin Greenwalt
Exec. VP of Pixel Mergers and Acquisitions
Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Square takes 2.75-3.5% it can be cheaper than PayPal and your client gets to use a credit card.

I always just use a check.

Thread Closed share thread