THE WOLVERINE Reviews: Can Wolverine Claw His Way To The Top Of The Box Office?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
THE WOLVERINE Reviews: Can Wolverine Claw His Way To The Top Of The Box Office?

Wolverine's "Metal" Is Put To The Test In The Latest Outing:

"It only took them six movies, but they finally got Wolverine right."

"..it's clear there was a conscientious choice to make a film that favored character over pixel-driven effects."

"Mangold front-loads the action, but near the end there's a first-rate fight atop a bullet train between Wolverine/Logan and some especially pesky ninjas. It puts the train fights in the recent The Lone Ranger to shame."

"The idea of Wolverine fighting off waves of yakuza and ninjas amid shoji screens is tantalizing, but Mangold bungles the staging and cuts so fast that you can't ever savor their silhouettes."

"It's a credit to the production team that these elements somehow work, with the movie at its best as a superhero/Asian crime drama mash-up."

"A definite improvement on X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

"Just as comic-book movie fatigue was starting to set in, along comes The Wolverine to revive a moribund summer of superheroes."

"Too quickly the random fights pile up -- so many yakuza thugs who forgot to wear chain mail that morning -- and you yearn for the film that might have been."

"It may not be perfect, but at least this time it is recognizably Logan."

"While The Wolverine isn't the definitive stand-alone instalment we'd hoped for, it's a significant improvement over Origins. The finale is disappointingly generic, but for the most part James Mangold gets it very right."

"A serviceable superhero exercise that does a number of things right."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wolverine_2012/

07 July 2013
Was a lot of fun, especially like the first half of the film. Some great action set pieces too.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Weta did a fantastic job of Yoshidas transformation from old to young.
Jaw to the floor good.

07 July 2013
Did Wolverine fight any PorkpieSamurai in the movie? Sorry, I had to ask.

Last edited by webhead : 07 July 2013 at 01:13 AM.

07 July 2013
lol
fortunately no porkpiesamurai were harmed in the making of this film

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by PorkpieSamurai: lol
fortunately no porkpiesamurai were harmed in the making of this film

Ha-ha! Glad to hear it!

07 July 2013
saw it and really enjoyed it, hopefully everyone is used to staying after the credits to see the special ending ...surprise, surprise

07 July 2013
How to put text for spoiler alert?

07 July 2013
Hugh Jackman always delivers a great performance as Wolverine so this one is a definite watch. The big robot samurai in the trailer seals the deal.

Currently working on...HCR #42

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Maliot: How to put text for spoiler alert?

Please use vBulletin spoiler tags [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] (with the spaces inside the brackets removed) around your spoiler text.

Here are the spoiler tags in action:
Spoiler:
spoiler text goes here

07 July 2013
I loved the movie. It wasn't perfect and I do think that they shoehorned Viper into it, but it was very well done. I was surprised by how much better the bullet train sequence looked on screen; I had my doubts initially. First Class and Wolverine have really redeemed the franchise for me.

It's also funny how inconsistent the MPAA is with their ratings. I know that there are (loose) rules when it comes to how much violence or profanity you can use before they upgrade you from PG-13 to R, but they really pushed that PG-13 limit here. Really. I've seen a few R-rated action flicks this year that've not deserved anything more than a PG-13. Wolverine could've gotten that R easily.

It reminds me of that period in 1984 right before PG-13 was established. They had no problem dropping f-bombs and showing nudity in a PG movie like "Sixteen Candles", but the cartoony monsters of "Gremlins" were suddenly deemed too graphic for kids under the age of 13. I wonder how long it'll take for the MPAA to break up the R rating. There's already that unspoken "soft" and "hard" R.

I'm not complaining. I like my Wolverine appropriately foul mouthed and violent. I was just surprised by how much they maintained that spirit in this movie. It wasn't a totally bloody affair, but it was more graphic than I was expecting for PG-13. My hat's off the the editing guys. Really. Definitely way more intense than you see in a superhero movie these days.

Even knowing what that mid-credits scene was, it still had me pretty psyched for the next X-Men movie. With the positive buzz coming about from SDCC's sizzle reel, I'm amped. FOX may not be able to fix the many bad things they've done to Marvel's mutants, but they're certainly making the best with what they have these days.

Last edited by cookepuss : 07 July 2013 at 03:46 AM.

07 July 2013
I never took to Hugh as Wolverine. I always had him down as an older and more gruffer dude. Now however, he really seems to look the part. I meant to see this yesterday but was outvoted ( bullied ) into seeing Monsters University instead.

I'll check this out tonight I reckon - looks great.

07 July 2013
Hugh Jackman ripped himself up for this movie for sure!
Really takes this role serious, good for him.

Great movie, much better than that garbage Origins Wolverine. I was hoping for more slicing up of ninjas, but it's okay, he got some Yakuza.

I think with his healing factor being messed up, they should have shown more blood coming from where his claws slice their way out. Maybe that was a difference in PG-13 and R ratings.

07 July 2013
Its got a big shiny robot-samurai thingy in it and Hugh's sideburns are simply amazing!

Currently working on...HCR #42

08 August 2013
Loved it. It's kinda what Iron Man 3 wanted to be but failed in my opinion. This hero also has his powers taken away, and is feeling depressed and so on but the acting and writing is so much better. However, as with Iron Man 3, I hate it when we see heroes lose their powers because that means less action.

Some bads:
Spoiler:
I did not like Viper in this at all. She felt forced and after all useless. That part could have been played by a human easily. The ending looked from another movie and the silver samurai final boss did not appeal to me at all. Also, in the trailers we get to see some wolverine vs ninja action but in the movie he is just harpooned to death by them. I WANTED THAT FIGHT AND FOR WOLVERINE TO WIN. And then Viper could have poison him to trap in that chair.

The love story was not convincing and felt rushed. I also wish there was more action with a full power Wolverine. And Jackman nailed it again.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread