IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-008: July 29-August 31- 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Have you tried approaching the "usual suspects": IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, EuroGamer, etc.?

Hi Padawan,

Yup, I pretty much contact all of those, especially the big ones, when we have a new release or something really cool to share. Kotaku, was one that gave us a recommendation. I forgot about EuroGamer though, thanks for that one.

Today I am trying something on our Twitter account where I am running the Blaster X HD Promo Blast Bash. I am giving away 1 Promo-Code every hour with a "catch-phrase" to our game. I just ask people to re-tweet if they use the code. I am going to see how that works too.

2GMG on Twitter

Thanks,
Rudy
2GMG on Twitter

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by dolemite07: Have you thought about trying the freemium route? initial game is free, additional levels/features cost extra amount?

Hi dolemite,

Yes, that was one route we considered when making the game, but we ultimately decided to try the up-front option instead. I was reading and doing a lot of research during production and there are a lot of people who dis-like the Freemium route. You actually end up spending more money on those games to progress versus a one-time fee. You are right though, making it free-to-play will make it download much easier, but the return rates are extremely low - roughly 0.025% - 0.05% actually buy anything in your game. We keep that in mind as a drastic option, but we really want to avoid it has much as possible, because I think it devalues what games actually cost to make, and the value in general. Only the ones that catch-on do very well, others that you really never hear about, earn basically nothing (which is the majority). However, since the market dictates what you mentioned, we always keep it in mind. Thank you for the idea.

Thanks,
Rudy
2GMG on Twitter

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Frotze: Thanks!

I'm not sure about the "Get 10 people to like" idea. How would you plan to track who got who to join up on Facebook or Twitter? At least the "Give one copy to everyone who likes" is easier to manage. But maybe to not have to give up to many free copies, you could give one to only the first hundred people or so that like or share...?

Hi Frotze,

Thank you for the feedback. Well my plan was to only have a limited supply of codes to start, this way making it a more controlled environment for me to handle. For it to work, the people would have to post or notify me who they got to add us, or the added person could post as well who told them. Then I would keep track of it on a spreadsheet. Not very practical or easy, but if it is small then it could be more manageable.

I am trying my new Promo on Twitter today to see how that works. 1 Promo every hour, and I just ask if people can re-tweet if they used the code. Just trying new things to see what works.

2GMG on Twitter

Thanks,
Rudy
2GMG on Twitter

08 August 2013
I just noticed this - Thanks Roberto for the Spotlight and the Front Page! Greatly Appreciated!

And thank you for the hard work and persistence keeping the IP Club alive.
2GMG on Twitter

08 August 2013
He's still filling in the information, but just thought some of you might find this to be a valuable guide on creating a Kickstarter. I've read through 14 of the chapters so far and it's pure gold (especially considering I'm working on the rough draft for a campaign now)

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/com...me_projects_on/

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: He's still filling in the information, but just thought some of you might find this to be a valuable guide on creating a Kickstarter. I've read through 14 of the chapters so far and it's pure gold (especially considering I'm working on the rough draft for a campaign now)

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/com...me_projects_on/

Thanks Grant! We're not doing a videogame but there still seems to be some very useful knowledge in there for our own campain. Will read!

08 August 2013
Concept Name: SCHIRKOA

CGTalk WIP thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1103500

Project Description:
SCHIRKOA is the story (an IP maybe) I will be trying to develop in coming years.
At the moment I am aiming at an animated Short Film. Followed by a graphic novel. And then let's see what else can come out. It's set in a dystopian city, involves bagheads and some other 'creatures'

Status Number: 6

Team Members: 2
Ishan (Writing/Directing/CGI/Graphic Novel/everything else)
Yiming (Rigging/Animation/Simulations)

Estimated Completion Date : February 2014 (Short Film)

What went right past few weeks:
-A music composer has come on board. And I was actually able to talk one on one with him. Which I feel was very important. The discussion was awesome and he is now composing "Schirkoa Theme".
-We have completely revamped the style of characters. And now characters are much more stylized than before. Partial reason for this is the time constraint that we have. So we are trying to get one simple and stylized master rig for all characters.
-A very talented voice actor as also come on board and will be recording the voice very soon.
-I have finally locked the script.

Show & Tell:
Here goes the synopsis:
Baghead 197A is a level (A) baghead from Schirkoa. A city known for it’s exceptionally civilized citizens. Schirkoa prohibits the entry of illegal creatures from the district of misfits. If the incorruptible 197A wins the elections this year the rules for illegal immigrants may get even tougher. A whore who had a short lived sexual affair with 197A recollects how an unusual turn of events brought 197A closer to a mysterious woman. Unsure about the woman's origin 197A has to make the choice of his lifetime. The choice that will follow rounds of risky politicians, riots and fantastical creatures.

Last edited by redCigarette : 08 August 2013 at 02:18 PM.

08 August 2013
Wow thanks.

That was a great read

Quote: He's still filling in the information, but just thought some of you might find this to be a valuable guide on creating a Kickstarter. I've read through 14 of the chapters so far and it's pure gold (especially considering I'm working on the rough draft for a campaign now) http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/com...me_projects_on/

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by redCigarette: Concept Name: SCHIRKOA

CGTalk WIP thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1103500

Project Description:
SCHIRKOA is the story (an IP maybe) I will be trying to develop in coming years.
At the moment I am aiming at an animated Short Film. Followed by a graphic novel. And then let's see what else can come out. It's set in a dystopian city, involves bagheads and some other 'creatures'

Status Number: 6

Team Members: 2
Ishan (Writing/Directing/CGI/Graphic Novel/everything else)
Yiming (Rigging/Animation/Simulations)

Estimated Completion Date : February 2014 (Short Film)

What went right past few weeks:
-A music composer has come on board. And I was actually able to talk one on one with him. Which I feel was very important. The discussion was awesome and he is now composing "Schirkoa Theme".
-We have completely revamped the style of characters. And now characters are much more stylized than before. Partial reason for this is the time constraint that we have. So we are trying to get one simple and stylized master rig for all characters.
-A very talented voice actor as also come on board and will be recording the voice very soon.
-I have finally locked the script.

Show & Tell:
Here goes the synopsis:
Baghead 197A is a level (A) baghead from Schirkoa. A city known for it’s exceptionally civilized citizens. Schirkoa prohibits the entry of illegal creatures from the district of misfits. If the incorruptible 197A wins the elections this year the rules for illegal immigrants may get even tougher. A whore who had a short lived sexual affair with 197A recollects how an unusual turn of events brought 197A closer to a mysterious woman. Unsure about the woman's origin 197A has to make the choice of his lifetime. The choice that will follow rounds of risky politicians, riots and fantastical creatures.

Am I the only one who feels it's too easy to have anonymous sexual affairs if everybody in town wears a bag?

I think I might have missed some new artwork for this one, but recall everybody has a bag (ie: A mask).. so if you think about it like rave/masquerade parties.. you can have any number of "affairs with no consequences" ... .so why would 197A need to "make a choice"?

I think I'm missing something here.

08 August 2013
Quote: Am I the only one who feels it's too easy to have anonymous sexual affairs if everybody in town wears a bag?

I think I might have missed some new artwork for this one, but recall everybody has a bag (ie: A mask).. so if you think about it like rave/masquerade parties..

CGIPadawan,
That's a valid point. In Schirkoa people don't just wear any bag they get. Instead, bags are 'alloted'. So if you have a tattoo on your bag that's your identity. Bags have expressions (its an animated short so I am not going completely logical), and bags have enough elements to diversify people. Having said that your comment definitely reminds me to make Hero Characters stand out as much as they can.

Quote: you can have any number of "affairs with no consequences" ... .so why would 197A need to "make a choice"?

197A might win the elections. If a level A baghead has an affair with a mysterious woman (immigrant?) he definitely has to make a choice between her and his political career. That is my idea. It's not the choice between 2 women. I am trying to conceal important things in the synopsis. Perhaps I should simplify it. Thanks for your inputs. Really made me scribble notes in my diary.

Last edited by redCigarette : 08 August 2013 at 06:37 AM.

08 August 2013
Well that's definitely an interesting kind of situation... but now your predicament is how to get there without it feeling contrived or forced.

The "bags"... I'm sure I cannot be told what they are for without spoilers... but I am assuming they have something to do with Anonymity or a Shame/Discretion element... these can be hard to establish.

Harder still is to establish how a "Level A Baghead" can end up in an intimate situation with an outcast (which I am assuming here is someone without a bag?)..

One NATURAL way.. maybe...is they were BOTH Bagheads.. but after making wild love to each other.. the FEMALE Baghead.. TOOK HER BAG OFF..."No more masks.. let me see you" and 197A won't do the same!

And this makes her an outcast... And keeps 197A under the shadow of a scandal.. because now SHE IS HIS BAG.. She won't reveal what happened...

That probably could work.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Well that's definitely an interesting kind of situation... but now your predicament is how to get there without it feeling contrived or forced.

The "bags"... I'm sure I cannot be told what they are for without spoilers... but I am assuming they have something to do with Anonymity or a Shame/Discretion element... these can be hard to establish.

Harder still is to establish how a "Level A Baghead" can end up in an intimate situation with an outcast (which I am assuming here is someone without a bag?)..

One NATURAL way.. maybe...is they were BOTH Bagheads.. but after making wild love to each other.. the FEMALE Baghead.. TOOK HER BAG OFF..."No more masks.. let me see you" and 197A won't do the same!

And this makes her an outcast... And keeps 197A under the shadow of a scandal.. because now SHE IS HIS BAG.. She won't reveal what happened...

That probably could work.

Haha brother stop right there now. You are spoiling the film
All I can tell you is the situations/scenarios that you are suggesting are already there. Along with a lot more elements.

08 August 2013
CONCEPT NAME: Le Gouffre

PRODUCTION BLOG: http://legouffre.com/en

CATEGORY: Animation

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

Le Gouffre is an 8-minute animated short film about two travellers who embark on the amazing journey of crossing an impossible gap. We are working full-time on this film, living on our own money, and we are basically trying to tell a great, dramatic story for everyone while creating a unique look that blends hand-painted textures with realistic animation.

PROJECT GOALS:

Win festivals, then make a big hit on the internet and gain the visibility and credibility that will allow us to eventually be able to live on telling our own stories.

STATUS NUMBER: 9

TEAM MEMBERS: 3

Carl Beauchemin - Animation and Rigging
Thomas Chrétien - FX and Compositing
David Forest - Animation and Art Direction

START DATE: July 2011

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: December 2013

WIP THREAD: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1085457

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:

We're meeting up with a producer tonight to show him what we've got so far. If we don't manage to get some financing, at least we hope to get some tips or new contacts that might help us.

WHAT WENT WRONG:

We've lost some time preparing documents and rendering different parts of our movie for the meeting, but hopefully it will pay off!

SHOW AND TELL:

We posted a little teaser on our blog for our upcoming teaser!

Other than that, here's a few tree textures I've been working on lately for some forest shots:

08 August 2013
CONCEPT NAME : Pole Force One
PRODUCTION BLOG : www.combomash.com/category/production-blog/
CATEGORY : Video Game (OUYA, PC, MAC, Linux)

PROJECT DESCRIPTION :

In this tongue-in-cheek, co-op, beat 'em up game, you play as one of three sexy super-hero strippers as they travel the world fighting against injustices such as sex-slavery, violent drug lords, religious extremists, corrupt governments and greedy corporations. Along with the help of their trusty DJ and his robotic creations, you'll be thrown into a wacky adventure reminiscent of many classics - such as Double Dragon, Streets of Rage and Battletoads - but with modern polish and gameplay.

STATUS NUMBER : 3
TEAM MEMBERS : 2

Chris Taylor - Concept Art
Grant Moore - Everything Else

NEXT MILESTONE : Kickstarter Campaign Launch, November 4th 2013

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK

I've been working my ass off to do the necessary prep-work in order to launch a Kickstarter campaign. Been doing lots of research, gathering resources, planning schedules and determining exactly what I need to run a successful campaign. The most important thing I've learned recently is to focus my efforts on generating money and not building the game. It's tough, because I'll need a prototype to do that, but I need to think in terms of marketing the concept and not what the best development practices are.

Please feel free to have a look at the rough draft (written only) of my campaign. A lot more will be explained through images and video, but it would be helpful to get any kind of feedback before I really commit to anything.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?token=3dcdd28c

Oh! I guess one big new thing is that I've decided to go after the OUYA Free the Games Fund, where the company will match dollar-for-dollar funds raised on Kickstarter if you agree to go for a 6-month exclusive on the console. I was already planning to release on it, so I figured it's worth a shot to try for! The biggest challenge will be getting PC / MAC / Linux fans to not see it as a negative, but rather a positive... more money = better quality final product!

WHAT WENT WRONG THIS WEEK

Not really "wrong" but I didn't get to work on the actual prototype at all this past week and longer. I did not adequately prepare myself for how much effort simply writing marketing materials and preparing a campaign would take. It's more than a full-time job!

SHOW AND TELL

Nothing to really show off this week, but feel free to check out the website holding page here.

http://www.combomash.com/pole-force-one/

08 August 2013
@Frotze - That's exciting news! Don't worry about any of the "wasted time" because now, you'll have the rendered sequence available to you for any future marketing needs. I hope it works out!

@Roberto - It would be awesome if we could get an "IP Incubator Club" banner or something. Just a nice little graphic we could all stick on our websites and promote this initiative a little.

Thread Closed share thread