CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #46
banman7
Frequenter
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Yup folks. It seems like our new Batman is Ben Affleck. Cause when I think Batman I think Ben Affleck. Wow. Really DC? That is the best you can do?

And that 56% rating on Rottentomatoes will continue to get lower with each and every new DC movie.

What is wrong with you DC/Warner Brothers?

You rest on your Batman's. The character has gone so far in the past decade only for you to get Ben Affleck as Batman. You already had Ben as a superhero and guess what? It didn't work.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #47
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

The internet is burning down right now. Twitter is berserk and entertaining at the moment.

Cookie monster voice or thick boston accent?

Good thing the stock market is closed right now, DC's gonna be dropping tomorrow morning.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #48
Lars3D
Frequenter

portfolio
Lars Oomen
3D Technical Artist
Calgary, Canada

Remember daredevil....yeah...

Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #49
zzacmann
Shaved Monkey

portfolio
Zac Overcash
Animator
Vancouver, Canada

I hate it when some new actor is announced to play a known character in an established film/comic franchise and everyone loses their shit.

CALM DOWN.

Everybody said the same thing when Toby was announced as Spiderman, Daniel Craig as Bond, Ledger as Joker, etc, etc. It will be fine. I thought the same thing when I heard Christian Bale was going to play Batman. I thought this guy is too skinny and has a weird American accent. When Michael Keaton took on Batman everybody thought how the hell can Mr. Mom and Beetlejuice be Batman?

Has Affleck made some crap movies? Yes, all actors have a few crap films in their resume, especially early in their careers. I actually think he did pretty well as Daredevil, not that the movie was good but I do think he proved that he can pull off the masked vigilante role. He's got the chin for it.

I older I get and more films I watch, the more I've come to realize how small of a role the actors play in the overall quality of a film. Writing comes first. Directing second and the choice of actors is a distant third. Of the old Batman movies, I thought George Clooney, the actor, looked, sounded, and acted the most like Bruce Wayne/Batman and I think he COULD have played a good/respectable Batman had it not been for the horrible script, production design, and the insistence of putting nipples on the damn batsuit. People blame Clooney for it sucking but instead people should be blaming the god-awfulness of everything else in that film.

My point is that I think Affleck can hold his own, and if the script, direction and everything else is up to snuff, the naysayers will be eating their words.

Last edited by zzacmann : 08-23-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #50
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

For me it's all about that smirk. I can't take the lower half of his face seriously, and that's most of Batman. He didn't work for me in Daredevil at all.

Clooney can pull off a millionaire playboy, but I thought he made an outrageously bad Batman, even among an outrageously bad movie, he just looked like he was going trick or treating. I feel the same thing with Affleck in a costume.

Also you stick him next to Henry Cavill on the screen, who aside from being in a terrible movie is a fairly good physical embodiment of Superman, and he's not going to measure up.

Other unorthodox casting has worked well, but how about the ones that didn't? Val Kilmer? Ryan Reynolds? Tommy Lee Jones? Anyone in any role in the Fantastic Four movies? Ed Norton? Jennifer Garner? Halle Berry? (X-Men or Catwoman, have never liked her in any of them)

Maybe if Affleck was directing and starring in it, I could imagine it differently. But it's not like Snyder is going to coax an Oscar performance out of this guy. Every time I go back and think about Man of Steel I like it less, so I guess I will just try not to think about any of this too much.

All of this is just bullshit and conjecture and will mean nothing until the movie comes out, but that is the point of sharing thoughts on things before they come out, you get information, you react, you discuss. If someone I feel is amazing or well suited for a role is cast I jump on it positively in the same uninformed way and still know nothing until it comes out, how is this special or different because it's (for me) justifiable based on my past opinions and available information?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #51
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

I do agree with the "calm down" sentiment. I do feel as though it is a waste of his time when he could be directing. I also feel as though following the Nolan/Bale Batman is too tough an act to follow with another A-lister, the scrutiny will be too high on a known face, you can't win. Given that Henry Cavill is barely a household name, I think a strong B-lister might have been a better choice.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #52
Grrrrrrr
God Shepherd

portfolio
Vladimir Teneslav
Environment Artist
Gameloft
Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to Grrrrrrr
Even though I want to calm down I cannot hide the fact that this news brought my enthusiasm for the franchise down about 20%. If Batman was in fact played by a completely new actor I would be ok because I would have faith in the studio, but I have seen Affleck so I can make my own opinion and it's not good.

Fingers crossed!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #53
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr
Even though I want to calm down I cannot hide the fact that this news brought my enthusiasm for the franchise down about 20%. If Batman was in fact played by a completely new actor I would be ok because I would have faith in the studio, but I have seen Affleck so I can make my own opinion and it's not good.

Fingers crossed!

Maybe they should just try to make a one-off solo Batman movie with Affleck first?... One that is "in anticipation of Justice League or Superman crossover"?

I mean.... I think design wise, writing wise, there is a wide range to Batman and just like 007 can be designed artistically and in a literary sense to fit a wide range of actors.... .There's a Batman that works in a world that would include Superman and Wonder Woman - and Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #54
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

I find Affleck to be rather boring. Especially in the eyes. And the voice.

Look at the most charismatic actors regardless of looks and its usually the eyes and the voice.

I suspect Affleck was chosen because they want to make the film appeal beyond the comics demographic and feel someone with Oscar credits may accomplish that.
And likely others turned it down.

There's probably some obscure 40 year old actor who would make an excellent Batman but they wont take the kind of risk that was taken with Superman 78 or Wolverine in the first X-men film(obscure casting which has continued to pay off).

Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #55
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

I feel like a lot of the internet destruction being caused by this is really...

What do you call it when people reference jokes from 10 years ago?

Oh yeah, it's lame. As far as Ben Affleck, the actor, goes; he played a good looking, tough protagonist in Argo and The Town. Those movies are really solid, and they definitely feature his acting.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #56
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

For me (in the roles i've seen him in) he comes across as a perpetual teenager, just not serious or grizzled enough to play such an important role as this. I'll give him a chance but his past record doesn't inspire confidence. I'm wondering when the "Hitler Reacts" video of this casting decision will come out.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #57
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

I'm more upset that Batman is being passed off to Snyder.

Honestly, Bruce Wayne isnt the deepest character in the DC universe. Any decent actor with a strong chin and gravely voice can pull off a decent Batman.

I was REALLY hoping for a Batman Beyond movie, starring Sam Underwood...

Last edited by Pyke : 08-23-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #58
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
For me (in the roles i've seen him in) he comes across as a perpetual teenager, just not serious or grizzled enough to play such an important role as this.

Yes--he lacks gravitas.

Funny thing about Adam West is that he is a rather blank faced actor-almost no expression in the face--a dull Bruce Wayne I think--but his voice is so distinctive its easy to see why he was chosen for the 60s show given his face was covered most of the time.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #59
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzacmann

I older I get and more films I watch, the more I've come to realize how small of a role the actors play in the overall quality of a film. Writing comes first. Directing second and the choice of actors is a distant third.

I think you may have overstated this somewhat. A distant third? Personally I think that all three are in accord. Many fine actors make a role their own. Flesh out the character they perceive from the script. Improvise large swathes of the script even. There are many great examples: one being the incredible cast assembled for The Sopranos. The acting is top-drawer.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #60
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

I'm not thrilled but I wasn't much either when they announced Heat Ledger was cast as Joker. Although it is not by canon I would love to see Idris Elba as Batman, that would be even more shocking to the general audience

reply share thread