Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Jncocontrol

portfolio
Brad
N/A
Perryville, United%2BStates

Too many polygons?

Hello, I'm trying to be a prop modeler.

I recently made a plate ( I know, a rather simple asset). Anyhow, after I was done with it, I noticed I had 256 polygons on it. Is that too much for such a simple asset?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
artMagic

portfolio
Jeremy Berkeley
3D Artist
Zero Limit Studios
Belmont, Trinidad%2Band%2BTobago

Smile

Hi there,

1. What software are you using?

2. Are you making props for Film or Games?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Jncocontrol

portfolio
Brad
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by artMagic
Hi there,

1. What software are you using?

2. Are you making props for Film or Games?

Blender

Games

Last edited by Jncocontrol : 07-16-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
janekd
portfolio
Janek Domański
Szczecinek, Poland

I don't modelling for games, but I everyday modeling for stills rendering and for simple assets often I have more than 2000 faces. Especially when I use subsurf modifier. So I think that 256 isnt too much. But better will be if some game modelers will say something.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

When modeling for games you want to be efficient with your polygon count - how many you can get away with will depend on the target system, mobile obviously requiring more optimization - but just asking if the number is right will only get you into the ballpark.

Instead, I would suggest you ask yourself for every single polygon, "Does this help define the form of the object I'm created or not?". On top of that, you'll want to consider the visual importance of the object. How big will it be on screen? Will it be close to the camera or far? etc...

These questions will help you to figure out how many polygons is acceptable. That same plate could be created with 8 triangles, details faked in the texture, if it's just a part of the background... but maybe it needs to be 256 polygons because it's a key asset with a lot of closeups.

To answer your question, 256 sounds a little high... but without the context to define the detail needed, I can't really say for sure.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

For games, theres no exact answer, it depends what the artist is going to do with the model. As a general item in a scene though; eg. say your character walks into a house in a game and the plate isnt an important item in any way, then yes 256 polys for a plate is way too much.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
moogaloonie
Expert
portfolio
Casey R Williams
Lansignum Studios
Morgantown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d
Instead, I would suggest you ask yourself for every single polygon, "Does this help define the form of the object I'm created or not?". On top of that, you'll want to consider the visual importance of the object. How big will it be on screen? Will it be close to the camera or far? etc...

These questions will help you to figure out how many polygons is acceptable. That same plate could be created with 8 triangles, details faked in the texture, if it's just a part of the background... but maybe it needs to be 256 polygons because it's a key asset with a lot of closeups.

QFT. There's no right answer based on the info given. There was a time when plates were just a texture painted into the tablecloth (I imagine some mobile developer somewhere is doing that very thing right now).

Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
razorbjc
Elephant of Hatred

portfolio
James Chan
3D Modeler
Sony Imageworks
Vancouver, Canada

If you want to be a game artist, I'm pretty sure these guys can answer your question: http://www.polycount.com/forum/

I'm not a game modeler, but I've heard that in-game character models are around 40,000 polygons nowadays. Maybe that helps.
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Jncocontrol

portfolio
Brad
N/A

Hey i'm gonna bump this again.

again, I'm in blender i'm still attempting to make a ceramic cup.

I noticed in my cup i'm making that whenever i'm out of edit mode I have 225 faces. yet, when i'm in edit mode It say i have 96 faces/polygons.

Why is that? I have the solidify modifier, but too my understand that shouldn't have increase my poly count.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
janekd
portfolio
Janek Domański
Szczecinek, Poland

solidify modifier increases poly count.
If you have simple triangle face - then you have one face without thickness. If you add solidify modifier - then thickness produces another four faces and from one face - you get five faces.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
Jncocontrol

portfolio
Brad
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by janekd
solidify modifier increases poly count.
If you have simple triangle face - then you have one face without thickness. If you add solidify modifier - then thickness produces another four faces and from one face - you get five faces.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong. But If i'm understanding this correctly, if i have 4 faces, and add solidify which adds an additional 4 faces on each face, I should have on my cup (which has 96 polys) it should have 376, But it has 226 when in object mode.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
sonn
Know-it-All

Depends on how it's used in the game. I would say that a simple background prop like a plate should probably be around 100-150. If you feel like you can still reduce it without screwing up the shape and the silhouette, then the poly count is probably too high.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
RichardMarklew
Frequenter
portfolio
Richard Marklew
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jncocontrol
I'm not trying to say you are wrong. But If i'm understanding this correctly, if i have 4 faces, and add solidify which adds an additional 4 faces on each face

Not if those original 4 faces are joined together. Add a plane, subdivide twice and add a solidify modifier. Count no. of face before and after applying the modifier. 16 faces increases to 48 faces

Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
janekd
portfolio
Janek Domański
Szczecinek, Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jncocontrol
I'm not trying to say you are wrong. But If i'm understanding this correctly, if i have 4 faces, and add solidify which adds an additional 4 faces on each face, I should have on my cup (which has 96 polys) it should have 376, But it has 226 when in object mode.

Count of faces added by solidify modifier depends of shape of original object. For 4 faces this can be tetrahedron solid - and then will be added only 4 new faces. Object can be also 4 not connected flat quad faces - and then solidify will add 20 new faces.

Last edited by janekd : 07-20-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread