Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

The Zombie Meme in its current form is anti-social and misanthropic

Ah, the zombie meme, where middle-class bores put 'zombie response team' stickers onto the back of their truck because they always fantasize that it's other people that have turned into zombies and not them or people they know/care about.

I would respect World War Z if Brad Pitt's cute white blonde children would turn into zombies and he would have to put them down himself. That would be a movie that would hammer home for many people the horrendous implication of millions of people decaying neurologically rather than this mockery that portrays millions of sick humans (other people of course, not characters with speaking lines) as something between ants and water.

A movie like this seems to appeal to someone who as a kid was in a really crowded place once and thought it was just the worst experience ever and just can't get over how small it made them feel.

Am I harsh? Maybe. But I have to be forceful in my rejection of the enormous amount of misanthropy and apathy to other human beings inherent in the modern zombie meme.

(Sorry if this is OT but I saw the poster on the front page and I just couldn't take it anymore.)

Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

And you don't find the concept of a "zombie" itself ridiculous? It kind of throws all we know about biology out of the window. There's a reason things don't move when they're dead.

Now, if it was more plausible then perhaps we'd have a more serious genre where directors would approach it with more depth. I've seen a few zombie flicks where they tried to do the whole emotional thing. In fact, almost in all of them there's some component of "oh, there's your zombie father/mother/sister, you have to shoot them in the head". It doesn't work, for me at least, on any emotional level.

If you want to see something deep then skip zombie movies and go for something like Amour instead.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Oh come on it's only a zombie movie. Those movies are not for deep thinking other than wondering about the general breakdown of law and order, and even that we can see for real on the news whenever a country has a revolution or gets invaded.

Thread Closed share thread