Gatchaman Live Action

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Gatchaman Live Action

Just wanted to let people who don't know that there's a Gatchaman Live Action coming to screens next month! on 26th August. Here's the trailer-

The official website is here-
http://gatchaman-movie.jp/

Surprisingly this looks visually more and more close to hollywood standards. Be interesting to see this in full.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Awesome!!!

Can't wait too. (Come to think of it, was the latest Space Cop Gaban already available on DVD now... need to dig more info)

Funny that while a lot of such materials came here directly from Japan and was dubbed, Gatchaman is one of those few that actually imported from US and uses English. So the name was G-Force instead of Gatchaman.

Still, it was awesome.

One complain is that it was too dark (as in night).

Old 07 July 2013   #3
You haven't seen the latest Gantz, Yamato and Rurouni Kenshin live action features? Technology has made it possible for Japanese to turn their anime into high quality live action features without the need of Hollywood. It's only going to get better too!

This looks good to me!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Gantz was great!
Yamato was fun for the whole family.
I found Kenshin...well Kenshin, not my favorite as an anime but I did like the anime better. They had much respect for the source material.

I hope this is good.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Originally Posted by teruchan: You haven't seen the latest Gantz, Yamato and Rurouni Kenshin live action features? Technology has made it possible for Japanese to turn their anime into high quality live action features without the need of Hollywood. It's only going to get better too!

This looks good to me!

Not yet - due to certain life issues. The last time I borrowed a movie it was Thor, Hugo and some film I forgot. I haven't borrowed anything for almost a year.

Anyway, time to catch up with movies again (haven't even watched the 3rd batman!)

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Originally Posted by teruchan: You haven't seen the latest Gantz, Yamato and Rurouni Kenshin live action features? Technology has made it possible for Japanese to turn their anime into high quality live action features without the need of Hollywood. It's only going to get better too!

This looks good to me!

Well I haven't watched Gantz but I have watched Yamato and Rurouni Kenshin. I think that Yamato's VFX aren't as good as what was seen on the Gatchaman trailer, Yamato is nearly 3 years old now and the advances in technology shows. Rurouni Kenshin is recent but it wasn't a VFX heavy film and the Japanese has been doing really good film work for a very long time.

Judging from the Gatchaman trailer, I say it's nearing Hollywood Quality because I feel that Japanese films have yet to do what Hollywood films are doing and that is pushing the boundaries of Cutting Edge. I feel that most of the VFX in the Gatchaman trailer have already been achieved by Hollywood standards. Unlike blockbuster films, they have yet to do something revolutionary like Avatar, Benjamin Button and in my opinion are a step behind. Not saying the VFX in Gatchaman are not to standard, they do look great and entertaining. However I would like to eventually watch Gatchaman in full because I like the looks of the trailer.

@Fablefox the latest Gavan movie is out on DVD, you should search for Space Sheriff Gavan instead of Gaban. I haven't watched the original series so I haven't watched the movie, as it seems to follow on from the series based on the premise.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Originally Posted by Darkherow: Unlike blockbuster films, they have yet to do something revolutionary like Avatar, Benjamin Button and in my opinion are a step behind.

To be honest tho, there are very few Hollywood films that have done anything revolutionary with tech in the last few years. There arent that many Benjamin Buttons, or Avatars.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Darkherow: Well I haven't watched Gantz but I have watched Yamato and Rurouni Kenshin. I think that Yamato's VFX aren't as good as what was seen on the Gatchaman trailer, Yamato is nearly 3 years old now and the advances in technology shows. Rurouni Kenshin is recent but it wasn't a VFX heavy film and the Japanese has been doing really good film work for a very long time.

Judging from the Gatchaman trailer, I say it's nearing Hollywood Quality because I feel that Japanese films have yet to do what Hollywood films are doing and that is pushing the boundaries of Cutting Edge. I feel that most of the VFX in the Gatchaman trailer have already been achieved by Hollywood standards. Unlike blockbuster films, they have yet to do something revolutionary like Avatar, Benjamin Button and in my opinion are a step behind. Not saying the VFX in Gatchaman are not to standard, they do look great and entertaining. However I would like to eventually watch Gatchaman in full because I like the looks of the trailer.

@Fablefox the latest Gavan movie is out on DVD, you should search for Space Sheriff Gavan instead of Gaban. I haven't watched the original series so I haven't watched the movie, as it seems to follow on from the series based on the premise.

Gavan is the English spelling, Japanese sounded "Gyaban"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Sheriff_Gavan

I always called it 'Gaban' because it's the Malaysian spelling, and the song sound like that too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2neJrFk-f0

Cool song.

Japanese when it come to entertainment was quite strange. Despite FF7 being a hit, it took them around 7 month (?) to translate it into english. And when the work on FF8, the english version was not first in their mind.

Because of these I think they merely focus local, and up to importer to import and dub stuff up. And because of these, and the number of their citizen, they kept their film cost low. They can make film as good as Hollywood I'm sure, but I think they doesn't want their film industry to implode. They know its an entertainment, no need to be too expensive. Hence, Anime and their 'style', which was unlike American early cel animation.

Bollywood can serve their own people just fine (and Enthiran the Robot) make a cool profit.

On topic, it was too dark.

Second, has it become 'politically correct'? Where is the fat guy and kid?

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread