artists with depression?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07 July 2013   #61
Problem with medication sometimes that if you drop it suddenly without counseling your doc , you will have depression attack again. I had that many times. Once you are medication, you can't drop it suddenly, It's not advisable. I think now a days most people have depression and medication is very much needed to cop with it and progress yourself.

I haven't read the entire thread, but there is RTMS (Repetitive TMS) therapy to cure depression and it may helps in a long run. Sure it is costly in other countries but it's cheaper in India. I have done it and I think it shows effect (not sure if it's placebo or really works) but I was never serious about fitness of my body which I am taking care of now with workouts and proper diet.
__________________
www.jhjariwala.com
Demoreel 2012
 
Old 07 July 2013   #62
why are smileys these days rubbish? theyve totally lost the simple essence, appeal and joy of a smiley.. we'll be making them in CG next with subsurface scattering

Last edited by matmonkfish : 07 July 2013 at 07:49 AM.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #63
Originally Posted by leigh: Quote:
Originally Posted by MissOptimist

...lol


kinda funny


--------------


Really? This is your response to this thread?


I really have a beef with thread police. On forums there is always some 'lord of the manor' around with 96,067 posts who seems to get treated like the Duke of Cornwall, lounging around on a chaise longue cursing the tourists like you've just walked dog poo into their front room, ready to jump on anything not living up to 'the standards', tossing out words like 'shameful' like little foul smelling biscuits to the Corgis. These funny little responses give forums flavour. Must you stamp your authority everywhere.. it stinks

Last edited by matmonkfish : 07 July 2013 at 08:16 AM.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #64
Originally Posted by matmonkfish: I really have a beef with thread police. On forums there is always some 'lord of the manor' around with 96,067 posts who seems to get treated like the Duke of Cornwall, lounging around on a chaise longue and like you've just walked dog poo into their front room, ready to jump on anything not living up to 'the standards', tossing out words like 'shameful' like little foul smelling biscuits to the Corgis. These funny little responses give forums flavour. Must you stamp your authority everywhere.. it stinks


To be honest, that reply was more generous than most would have allowed. In another place it would have been a warning for respect on an issue which is clearly not a laughing matter for those contributing to it.

Benefit of the doubt, though, the poster was most likely replying to something specific and forgot to quote what it was...
__________________
Silo, 3D Coat, Blender
C, C++, Java

Currently working on...HCR #42
 
Old 07 July 2013   #65
Originally Posted by Boone: To be honest, that reply was more generous than most would have allowed. In another place it would have been a warning for respect on an issue which is clearly not a laughing matter for those contributing to it.

Benefit of the doubt, though, the poster was most likely replying to something specific and forgot to quote what it was...


pfffff can't we allow a few inconsistencies and oddball moments without worrying about 'respect' and what is 'allowed'

Last edited by matmonkfish : 07 July 2013 at 03:01 PM.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #66
Originally Posted by Boone: To be honest, that reply was more generous than most would have allowed. In another place it would have been a warning for respect on an issue which is clearly not a laughing matter for those contributing to it.

Benefit of the doubt, though, the poster was most likely replying to something specific and forgot to quote what it was...


pfffff... can't we allow a few inconsistencies and oddball moments without worrying about 'respect' and what is 'allowed' in all cases

Last edited by matmonkfish : 07 July 2013 at 09:24 AM.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #67
Originally Posted by matmonkfish: pfffff... can't we allow a few inconsistencies and oddball moments without worrying about 'respect' and what is 'allowed' in all cases


It's not like someone deleted the post.
But it was indeed just oil into fire for a topic that is already hard enough to discuss without going into a fight.
__________________
Passion is the key.
Miysis 3D
 
Old 07 July 2013   #68
Originally Posted by matmonkfish: pfffff... can't we allow a few inconsistencies and oddball moments without worrying about 'respect' and what is 'allowed' in all cases


Okaaaaaayyyyy...
__________________
Silo, 3D Coat, Blender
C, C++, Java

Currently working on...HCR #42
 
Old 07 July 2013   #69
Originally Posted by matmonkfish: I really have a beef with thread police. On forums there is always some 'lord of the manor' around with 96,067 posts who seems to get treated like the Duke of Cornwall, lounging around on a chaise longue cursing the tourists like you've just walked dog poo into their front room, ready to jump on anything not living up to 'the standards', tossing out words like 'shameful' like little foul smelling biscuits to the Corgis. These funny little responses give forums flavour. Must you stamp your authority everywhere.. it stinks


Something tells me you actually have an axe to grind with me, not because of this post you've chosen to dredge up from days ago and post a little diatribe about, but because you don't like people disagreeing with your views or pointing out that you don't really know what you're talking about.

If you want "lol funny" posts, then maybe you should go to 4chan instead of derailing this discussion with your personal beef.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #70
I think a good starting point to any discussion is to agree on terms of logic. Obscurantism, and non empirical suppositions (as well as arguments from personal incredulity) regarding the science on this matter is not helpful, rational or reasonable. The world of science derives and tests information and adjusts the hypothesis in line with the evidence. It is not an argument clincher to claim some new world rationale, or claims regarding an unlikely global mental health conspiracy in order to sell drugs or whatever. Evidence is why we consult scientists and doctors when we are ill, not quacks, snale oil sellers and charlatans. In any event science is still emerging about the brain, causation for depression and other mental abnormalities - and I am relieved to understand now why my brain behaves in ways which make me unhappy, panicky etc. It beats electic shock therapy, drilling holes in your skull, or being sectioned for being insane.

Regarding the point of whether this thread should exist here, well it might help someone, and whats the harm? Artists throughout history may well have experienced existential issues and used this angst to drive powerful ideas in their work. Lets not be too dry in our discourse, we are all human, not robots.
__________________
AM Alumni
 
Old 07 July 2013   #71
Originally Posted by sinbad: I think a good starting point to any discussion is to agree on terms of logic. Obscurantism, and non empirical suppositions (as well as arguments from personal incredulity) regarding the science on this matter is not helpful, rational or reasonable. The world of science derives and tests information and adjusts the hypothesis in line with the evidence. It is not an argument clincher to claim some new world rationale, or claims regarding an unlikely global mental health conspiracy in order to sell drugs or whatever. Evidence is why we consult scientists and doctors when we are ill, not quacks, snale oil sellers and charlatans. In any event science is still emerging about the brain, causation for depression and other mental abnormalities - and I am relieved to understand now why my brain behaves in ways which make me unhappy, panicky etc. It beats electic shock therapy, drilling holes in your skull, or being sectioned for being insane.


This is my exact view too, I believe absolutely in the scientific method, because it's been demonstrated to work. While pharmaceutical companies are not immune from criticism (I'm an avid reader of Ben Goldacre who has raised a number of points of valid criticism of the way in which pharmaceutical trials can be presented so as to hide negative results, and such), I simply don't buy into this global "big pharma" conspiracy and the idea that all these companies are keeping people sick for profit. As with most conspiracy theories, it fails to account for the fact that such a conspiracy is invariably impossible due to its sheer scale. It would mean that pretty much every psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, epidemiologist and everyone else involved in the research, development and prescription of medication on the planet is in on it, which is simply ludicrous. Are medications over-prescribed? In some cases, yes. Can some people cope on their own without medication? Of course. But that shouldn't cast the entire medication spectrum into doubt or disrepute, because medication does help thousands of people to manage their respective issues. That's a fact.

Regarding mental health, it's not really that long ago that depression and other disorders were considered the work of demons, hysteria, and other ridiculous theories; we have come a long way since then but, as you say, we are still learning a lot about the brain and its functions. It's sad for me to see that there still exist so many misconceptions and even prejudice about mental illness but it's par for the course, I guess.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #72
Just want to drop in and say I'm very relieved this isn't simply a thread full of vilifying pharmaceuticals. Different things work for different people, the key is finding out what works for you.
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com
 
Old 07 July 2013   #73
Stories of many different mental illness experiences can be heard on The Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast. Much to be learned from some very generous, open people. The site specifically mentions that it is not a substitute for professional treatment.

One of the interviews is with comedian Maria Bamford, who has this take on attitudes towards mental illness (strong language).
 
Old 07 July 2013   #74
Originally Posted by leigh: Something tells me you actually have an axe to grind with me, not because of this post you've chosen to dredge up from days ago and post a little diatribe about, but because you don't like people disagreeing with your views or pointing out that you don't really know what you're talking about.

If you want "lol funny" posts, then maybe you should go to 4chan instead of derailing this discussion with your personal beef.


yep you're on my radar Lord Vadar

ill slap my beef wherever I wish, thankyou very much

but i agree, if you want funny posts, CGtalk is a bad place

Last edited by matmonkfish : 07 July 2013 at 03:44 PM.
 

This post by matmonkfish may contain offensive material. Click here to view it.

Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.