artists with depression?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #16
I suffer from seasonnal depression and I'm diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (PTSD).
Without medication I can't properly function and never will for the rest of my life. Like any handicap you have to learn to live with it.

The problem is that a big bunch of people mistake "having the blues" with depression. While the first one can be annoying, a bit of a change in your environment will get you out of it. Depression on the other hand isn't just a state of mind. It is a disease with real physical and neurological impact. Stress and chock can bring on depression, but a brain chemical imbalance will also do it.

The good thing for us, is that art, in any form, is a good therapy. It give us the tool to express our inner thoughts, analyse them and put them in perspective. While doing art, we are putting ourself outside our body and mind and can then see for ourself how we are doing and thinking. We can then either embrace those "vision" or move them to the back of our memory or totally discard them if they are irrelevant.

Old 07 July 2013   #17
My mom suffers from depression and its tough on me since I have worked/ lived so far away from her and the rest of my family throughout my career as they get older.

Last edited by digitalwang : 07 July 2013 at 03:35 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Tuxon86: I suffer from seasonnal depression and I'm diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (PTSD).
Without medication I can't properly function and never will for the rest of my life. Like any handicap you have to learn to live with it.

Now you are talking about the serious kind of depression. I have a friend at work who has it all year round, and she is on medication as well. She told me once - with her daughter present, who made it sound strangely comical - that she tried strangling her in her sleep(sleep walking) and that's when they knew she needed help!

Needless to say, we watch over her carefully - not because we think for a minute she's a nut-job or anything, but simply because we understand what she goes through and how she feels when it gets too much for her. She's very cheerful with enough support around her, but can get very distressed when the going gets tough. But she's very hard working and considering what she goes though, its worth the effort to see her right.

On the other hand, I sit in on conversations on depression where someone says its bullshit and people are trying to worm their way out of work with a pathetic excuse. Some times I will explain it to them and tell them a bit about my own experience of depression(Ted Striker style), but for quite a few uneducated people there is no talking to them...

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07 July 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Tuxon86: I suffer from seasonnal depression and I'm diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (PTSD).

Sorry to hear that..

As a person who has been on anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, been in mental hospital twice, suffered terrible anxiety and the most awful of intrusive thoughts...

...now I am on absolutely no medication, am happier and more creative and feeling at one with the world and everything in it than i've ever been, for 2 years...

believing things like you 'never will for the rest of my life.' without medication is a self fulfilling prophecy... how can you know that?

There absolutely are 'ways' to lose anxiety, depression and be free from medication and be singing with the birds and dancing with the butterflys... just maybe not from within the normal routines of life..

dont let medical establishments tell you you have a 'disorder' a 'disorder' is can be a temporary pattern of thinking on a bigger journey and usually an inviation to find greater freedom beyond.

if however you just label yourself I am person x, i have this disorder, and i have it for the rest of my life.. then it will be so..

Old 07 July 2013   #20
That was a good post Matthew.

Originally Posted by matmonkfish: Sorry to hear that..

As a person who has been on anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, been in mental hospital twice, suffered terrible anxiety and the most awful of intrusive thoughts...

...now I am on absolutely no medication, am happier and more creative and feeling at one with the world and everything in it than i've ever been, for 2 years...

believing things like you 'never will for the rest of my life.' without medication is a self fulfilling prophecy... how can you know that?

There absolutely are 'ways' to lose anxiety, depression and be free from medication and be singing with the birds and dancing with the butterflys... just maybe not from within the normal routines of life..

dont let medical establishments tell you you have a 'disorder' a 'disorder' is can be a temporary pattern of thinking on a bigger journey and usually an inviation to find greater freedom beyond.

if however you just label yourself I am person x, i have this disorder, and i have it for the rest of my life.. then it will be so..

Old 07 July 2013   #21

Tried reducing and stopping medication three time and the result weren't pretty. While I'm on medication, I must say I'm taking some pretty low dose most of the time. Only in period of high stress or when the depression symptoms creeps up I need a boost, most of the time from a temporary higher dosage or a temporary addition like cerax or rivotril. But for the most part a low dosage of cipralex plus remeron and a simple non-addictive sleep aid does the job. This year I didn't even needed the higher dose since I've moved my vacation time from summer to spring and I traveled south to catch some rays and rest.

Old 07 July 2013   #22

This is a great example of why people should never ever take medical/psychiatric advice from the internet. Telling people to ditch their meds and distrust the medical profession is reckless and stupid. If it worked for you, great. But that doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone else.

Old 07 July 2013   #23
Depression and anxiety has many causes and no one solution works for everybody. People tends to look at depression and anxiety disorder as a psychological illness only. In fact, it is proven that depression and other mental illness also have a physiological component or cause. Chemical imbalance in the brain being the most frequent. If you have been suffering years of abuse your brain has been in overdrive production or stopped producing some of it's chemicals like serotonin and endorphine. Like any other chemical, your brain and system can get used to them. Going without or producing more of them can have an impact on your system.

Therapy help change your way of thinking about event and situation and help you to put them in perspective. This helps control your stress level overall. But you have to be in a state of mind where you are able to stop, think and act. If you have been true hell for a big part of your life you can't expect to heal that damage overnight or just by changing a few things around you.

Old 07 July 2013   #24
...lol

kinda funny

Old 07 July 2013   #25
I can chime in on this one. I'm one of those "children of alcoholics" so have PTSD from childhood trauma, and I suffer generalised anxiety with occasional panic attacks. I can vouch that an undermined self esteem from childhood can retard career development, the ability to focus and complete projects, and equally destroys feelings of worth. Typically I avoid compliments and generally err towards what is medically termed "automatic negative responses" which originate from the Amygdala in the brain. The gist of it is a fight or flight alarm stuck to the on position. In any event I can function ok, hold down a job and raise our adopted kids we saved from severe neglect themselves. That's my way of righting a wrong. ;-) There is help - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help you to rationalize through irrational thoughts, but its difficult. I commiserate with anyone suffering mental health issues, but always remember to get professional help and don't seek advice on forums!

Old 07 July 2013   #26
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: ...lol

kinda funny

Really? This is your response to this thread?

Old 07 July 2013   #27
Originally Posted by leigh: This is a great example of why people should never ever take medical/psychiatric advice from the internet. Telling people to ditch their meds and distrust the medical profession is reckless and stupid. If it worked for you, great. But that doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone else.

How do you know it is not going to work for him Leigh? You are usually quite reasonable but not on this one.

Old 07 July 2013   #28
I know in many cases medications are necessary but to be non-stop on them. I think there are always alternatives.

Old 07 July 2013   #29
Having an older child that suffers from depression I have learned that in his case medication along with a change in environmental factors, and with helping him maintain a schedule that is somewhat fulfilling has made a world of difference. However I do not believe that just the medication would have been effective (i.e taking medication but then just sitting around all day). Battling depression has to be fought on many fronts. It usually requires various attempts at finding the right medicine and doses(under the guidance of a qualified professional), finding a good therapist if needed, finding the right environment to work or live in, finding wholesome activities that you enjoy, and finding those who understand and support you. Depression can be just as puzzling for those around you as it is for you. I am still learning how to cope with the situation as it is a constantly changing but ever present part of our lives.

Old 07 July 2013   #30
I had to use self therapy approaches for my anxiety disorder and depression. Mental health services in my area have a drugs first, ask questions later approach which I didnt trust, and tended to be poorly staffed. No CBT available unless you pay for it which wasn't an option. I read up on anxiety and depression and visited forums where people discussed their treatment programs.
It has been very effective but not a cure all. Just management of a chronic condition to tolerable levels.

Thread Closed share thread