"Bruce Lee: Game Changer" (Johnnie Walker Ad) - The Mill VFX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Kanga: The Hepburn one was way better..

Oh yes there's no doubt about that. Particularly as it was all daylight scenes where any flaws show up so easily.
I hope they make more of these and bring back more actors to life.

Old 07 July 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Michael5188: I think it's an interesting situation now with cg being able to so closely replicate deceased people, is it entirely morally sound to put words in their mouths like this? And for advertising nonetheless...

I actually have the same dilemma. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it; my heart tends to feel that it's wrong, but in my head, I think that if the families say it's okay, then maybe it is.

It's definitely an unsettling topic and I'm surprised there hasn't already been more debate about it.

Old 07 July 2013   #18
Are we assuming Bruce Lee didn't drink, or would somehow be against alcohol?

The link I followed for the Bruce Lee ad led me to another Johnnie Walker ad called "Android". Have you seen that? If that is a CG face, the talking works much better.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Last edited by teruchan : 07 July 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #19
Originally Posted by teruchan: Are we assuming Bruce Lee didn't drink, or would somehow be against alcohol?

The link I followed for the Bruce Lee ad led me to another Johnnie Walker ad called "Android". Have you seen that? If that is a CG face, the talking works much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPfq3jOhXM

Old 07 July 2013   #20
using the dead to advertise products is disrespectful no matter who it is, it's a horrible trend that needs to stop

Old 07 July 2013   #21
Originally Posted by popol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPfq3jOhXM

Can't see Youtube in my location. Is that the Android ad?

Old 07 July 2013   #22
As usual looks like great CG but doesn't look real, would have preferred finding a lookalike and making him look even more like Bruce Lee instead of using CG. Also Bruce Lee didn't speak Mandarin AFAIK and he would have abhorred being used in an ad for alcohol, but maybe we now think CG is an excuse to defile people's memories to sell vaccuums and other crap without regard to their legacy.

Old 07 July 2013   #23
Well, as far as CG goes, it's fantastic, but still very fake looking. It always bothers me when I see facial animations where every section of the face seems to have a life of its own and feels disconnected from everything else.

Old 07 July 2013   #24
Originally Posted by squidinc: using the dead to advertise products is disrespectful no matter who it is, it's a horrible trend that needs to stop

+1. Incredibly poor taste.

Old 07 July 2013   #25
I don't wish to sound disrespectful to any of the artist and technicians who worked on this advert but I didn't see any ground breaking work here at all. Some of the techniques and approaches may have been groundbreaking, but the final look was off. In fact, someone in the YouTube comments section mentioned that it looked like a new Tekken trailer - and I agree.

There were touches that were great, like when he smirks - I loved that - but on the whole it felt off and unnatural. In fact, the suit he was wearing and the location and stylized 'filming' further removed me from feeling it. The whole ambiance and message was totally off.

Taking everything into account, it was the most un Bruce Lee thing I have ever seen. It's a shame because I bet that digital double would look great in the right situation.

Old 07 July 2013   #26
Was quite surprised it wasn't an advert for bottled water...

As for the animation...excellent. There is only so much you can do with computer animation and rendering, and this was certainly a sterling effort. Only niggle is in the "making of" video where one chap says "first fully CG, walking, talking Human." It was just a head-replacement job and besides, its been done before - Tron Legacy and FF:TSW come to mind. I admire it though...although I still have a soft spot for the Audrey Hepburn advert.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07 July 2013   #27
Are you saying it is just a CG had on an actor's body? I have to wonder about that. The whole thing looks CG to me. It looks very similar to the character in Watchdogs CGI intro. The clothes have "that look".

Anyway, I finally got my wife to check it out. She thought nothing of it. Nothing jumped out as fake. She never thought about CG. It just "was" to her. Maybe we who look at CG all day everyday are too critical.

Edit: I showed another friend, also a Chinese girl. She thought nothing of it. Nothing special. Just a liquor ad. She thought it was just an actor who looked like Bruce Lee doing the ad. They had a recent TV series about Bruce Lee here in China. She just thought it was that actor doing a commercial. When I told her it was CGI, she was blown away. She said the technology today is too much!

2nd Edit: My wife added that she thought it was just from footage shot when he was alive.

Last edited by teruchan : 07 July 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #28
Originally Posted by teruchan: Are you saying it is just a CG had on an actor's body? I have to wonder about that. The whole thing looks CG to me. It looks very similar to the character in Watchdogs CGI intro. The clothes have "that look".

According to this documentary its just the head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShjKRkV3sc

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07 July 2013   #29
Originally Posted by leigh: but in my head, I think that if the families say it's okay, then maybe it is.

Well, I don't want to claim anything negative about mr. Lee's family, but more often than not "the" families of the deceased are only "in it for the money"...

Old 07 July 2013   #30
Originally Posted by grrinc: it looked like a new Tekken trailer - and I agree.

Thanks for pointing that out, that's the analogy I've been looking for...

Thread Closed share thread