"Bruce Lee: Game Changer" (Johnnie Walker Ad) - The Mill VFX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
"Bruce Lee: Game Changer" (Johnnie Walker Ad) - The Mill VFX

In the latest Johnnie Walker TV ad directed at Chinese viewers, The Mill brings back legendary Hong Kong superstar Bruce Lee using Visual Effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1xBQQnddwg

My opinion is that the quality wavers a bit here and there, but in general it's very good and there are shots where it is particularly good.

Overall though, he looks a bit "airbrushed". There is a direct comparison in the ad, because they superimpose original interview image of Bruce Lee into the sky while the digital one speaks to the modern-day audience, and I think the main difference is the shadowing in places like eyebrows, eyelids....

But this is particularly good, at par with the Audrey Hepburn double we saw only recently.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
A great effort, but aside from the shading, the motion is what kills it for me..needs faster or more high frequency movement..feels like he's had botox injections or just went to the dentist.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
This is an extremely demanding ad for a cg character to pull off. The amount of shots and lines of dialogue is almost unheard of in an ad. And usually ad's have less turnaround time.

Favorite shot occurs 0:59-1:00 (i love the understated nature of it).

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Lots of uncanny valley going on in his face when they show it up close. It isn't quite there yet, but it is good to see companies pouring money into CGI doubles, it will only push the field forward. I wonder who owns Bruce Lee (TM).

Something tell me Bruce wouldn't be overly excited about them making this ad if he was still around.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Phrenzy84: This is an extremely demanding ad for a cg character to pull off. The amount of shots and lines of dialogue is almost unheard of in an ad. And usually ad's have less turnaround time.

Favorite shot occurs 0:59-1:00 (i love the understated nature of it).

Just like Hepburn this is CRAZY ambitious for a TV spot time and budget, the fact they got what they got is commendable, but still not there yet.

That moment is definitely approaching soon enough though.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
It looks a lot like the Watchdogs CG trailer. I love the shot where he makes a fist with the water on his hand. The talking, though, has some of the same problems as Tron Legacy. Still, this is a great advancement in the world of digital doubles. I don't think they are ready to being him back for a feature yet, but it must be right around the corner at this point.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Last edited by teruchan : 07 July 2013 at 03:55 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
... no words, Bruce Lee in alcohol advertisement. Sad to realize, i am a part of this industry.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Originally Posted by PurpleRainbow: ... no words, Bruce Lee in alcohol advertisement. Sad to realize, i am a part of this industry.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they should've done young Jackie Chan from Drunken Master instead

Old 07 July 2013   #9
It's a great effort. I think they took on too much. Keeping it shorter could have meant all their efforts concentrated where it mattered. They still pulled off a good result all the same.

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Originally Posted by PurpleRainbow: ... no words, Bruce Lee in alcohol advertisement. Sad to realize, i am a part of this industry.

It think the responsibility fall on the Bruce Lee estate / family?

Old 07 July 2013   #11
I thought it was quite cool. Very hard to judge the facial animation as it was subtitled but a marvelous achievement for an advertisement.

Ultimately the uncanny valley will only truly be traversed when we can simulate the entire organism down to the neurons/blood vessels etc.... I'm sure that will come eventually (then all the great movie stars will come back from the dead : ) ).

Old 07 July 2013   #12
The Hepburn one was way better. This is brilliant work nonetheless. I also got the rubber impression. There was not that much cover up technique used apart from low light, but still a long way to go.

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Behind the scene :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YptvpILiwaM

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Bruce Lee advertising alcohol, shameful...

Old 07 July 2013   #15
I have to agree with what some are saying, this feels wrong...

I think it's an interesting situation now with cg being able to so closely replicate deceased people, is it entirely morally sound to put words in their mouths like this? And for advertising nonetheless...

I understand a lot of times their family's are involved, but it still feels off to me. And sure, words have often been put in the mouths of people who have passed before now, but with the cg visual likeness mixed in it seems to take it to another (offensive?) level.

Anyways, maybe I'm looking too into it.

As far as the spot, it had some amazing shots, some less than amazing shots. I'm sure it all comes down to money/time limitations. But for someone else who isn't scrutinizing the cg, I'm sure it works perfectly fine.

www.MichaelSime.com

Thread Closed share thread