Cgi problems in the industry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Cgi problems in the industry

Hi!

Can you list me all problems in the cg industry you know? The only I know about is the uncanny valley. I'm studying computer graphics and am going to write an analysis about the problem and do experiments around it. Then discuss my results.

I need help to find a good subject. Interesting and relevant. Can be both game and film or a comparrason

Please help!

Last edited by veclock : 07 July 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Difficulty simulating vast amounts of sand and fluids. Uncanny valley is probably the biggest one though, but it is a popular research subject so it has been done to death.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Another big one I notice is CG pyrotechnics. They don't look near as good as real filmed pyrotechnics. The exception being possibly standing flames and slow billowing smoke. However, really chaotic things like explosions just don't look even close to real in CG yet. The only CG explosion I've ever seen that looked close to real was the one at the end of Prometheus.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Tankas! So basically most problems are related to simulations?
Are there problems related to modeling or texturing?
Or animation, like animating wrinkles in the skin or have skin deformations from the skeleton/muscles beneath?

Please give me more examples!

Old 07 July 2013   #5
NPR (Non-Photorealistic Rendering) has been a big one for a while too. It's difficult to create renders with an artistic/painterly look that's convincing and stable. Some have managed to get it right in limited amounts, but usually only in backgrounds. Line-drawing styles had more luck because the lines can be mapped onto the models (or created procedurally) and they just stay put, while painterly approaches are very different, as the forms are represented by patches of values/colors that are dynamically changing constantly.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Cloth. Think Neo's trench coat in The Matrix Reloaded. Even in a modern film like World War Z the cloth just doesn't come across as correct. It is getting really good, but the material always feels a little wrong, like it's too thick or something.

Water is another one. It has been getting damn close lately, but the big stuff is still not quite right. Even as amazing as realflow simulations are, it is still easy to spot.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Originally Posted by teruchan: Cloth. Think Neo's trench coat in The Matrix Reloaded. Even in a modern film like World War Z the cloth just doesn't come across as correct. It is getting really good, but the material always feels a little wrong, like it's too thick or something.

Water is another one. It has been getting damn close lately, but the big stuff is still not quite right. Even as amazing as realflow simulations are, it is still easy to spot.

Water is easy to make look believable. Master and Commander is a perfect example.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
I only think it is "easy" to pick out when it is some outlandish, obviously fake water flow system. I would wager 50/50 odds on lots of subtle water shots and one's ability to pick it out...OH, the boat is a fake!??!...cg water's scientific development is mostly done, built on equations from the 1800s, like most cg, and is in the realm of artistry now. It will always be on the heavy end of processor overhead, but the product is great.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Crowd sims. But only because I know its a crowd sim and i want to focus on picking out 'silly movements' from individual members. And being quietly amused by them. WWZ comes to mind.
The mass public probably is oblivious to the fact that computers are even needed/used for such things.

Goes along with your 'uncanny valley' but digital doubles are very easy to get wrong.

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Some of the digital double work in Avengers was flawless that honestly, I only knew it was a double after I saw the ILM Reel.

Water as well is there. Master And Commander, and even Battleships had some of the most convincing shots, where I really thought it was miniatures, stock, and clever comp work.

I watched Invictus, and those crowd shots are perfect. The only way I know they aren't real is that it would be a pretty large feat to get 40 000 extras into the stadium for the shoots....although I think that if they put out a call for people to 'relive' the 1995 world cup, they would have!

I'd say recreations of KNOWN figures is pretty darn difficult. Clu, and the recent Johnny Walker advert are good examples of this....and heck, with Clu they had the original actor DOING the facial movements and capture.

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Originally Posted by teruchan: Cloth. Think Neo's trench coat in The Matrix Reloaded. Even in a modern film like World War Z the cloth just doesn't come across as correct. It is getting really good, but the material always feels a little wrong, like it's too thick or something.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but in the mid to upper end of the budgets (mid for the former, upper end for the latter) neither is an unsolved problem anymore.

Cloth in particular, compared to a few years ago, is just a matter of having the time and designs that aren't impossible. Water has been done to almost any scale at this point (agreeably in the top end of budgeting) seamlessly.

For every shot you are able to pick apart there are hundreds you're probably not even aware either is CGI in

Old 07 July 2013   #12
all of it

cg is the art of being in an endless problem.. and if there isnt a problem around then a new one must be invented, which is a problem in itself...

Old 07 July 2013   #13
There is some pretty awesome CG water in Kon Tiki and I'd say those shots weren't done by big budget studios.

As for Neo's coat, that was what, 10 years ago???

Old 07 July 2013   #14
I haver never seen convincing CG cumulonimbus or cumulus congestus clouds with proper scattering and especially detailed GI which also catches scattered light from neighbouring clouds as you can see in sunset clouds.

Old 07 July 2013   #15
Expensive rendering / lighting and how it impacts a dp (director of photography). A CG dp does not get to play with light they same way a live action dp does.

Thread Closed share thread