Downscaling vector artifacts, what to call it

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Thread Tools Display Modes
  07 July 2013
Downscaling vector artifacts, what to call it


Do you have a good suggestion for what term to use to describe the following result and/or artifacts? I know there is a word for this, I just cannot remember which one.

  1. The initial design consists of distinct (i.e. separate) elements.
  2. The user downscales the design to a point when all elements melts together, making it hard to distinguish each element of the initial design.

The term I'm looking for describes the fact that the details of the design have become hard to distinguish, identify or recognize. Everything has simply become a heavily anti-aliased soup of oversampled pixels; everything is grey, no details are visible.

The term would be used like:
The resulting graphic has become _______.
Your art is _______.
The icons are _______.

I have a feeling that the term I'm looking for refers to or describes all of these phenomenon: bleed, smudge, overgrown, oversampled and over-anti-aliased.

Thanks for any suggestions.

  07 July 2013
Low-res? Blurry?
__________________ - 3D Visualization and Content Creation
  07 July 2013
  07 July 2013
Are you talking about the difference between raster and vector data? Raster data is just a bunch of pixels with color value.

Vector data is a bunch of curves that tell the computer where to draw pixels. You have to rasterize the data in some way for print or display on a screen. When your working in Illustrator, the image you see on the screen is raster data (pixels), but it was drawn from the curves of your vector data. You can zoom in on things, and it will generate you a new raster preview that looks nice and sharp. In Photoshop, your just dealing with raster data most of the time. When you try to zoom in, things start to look boxy as your looking at the individual pixels of data.
  07 July 2013
@BrainFreeze: hehe

@Decency: Yes, the word I'm looking for is describes ink bleed, but for digital assets. A word that describes the two edges that have merged due to anti-aliasing.

@AJ1: Thanks, but no. I'm lacking the word to describe "digital bleed".

Any other suggestions?
  07 July 2013

Adding characters because I'm being told to by a benevolent mail submission form.
  07 July 2013
Are you trying to convey this to someone in a professional environment?

If so, PLEASE just copy and paste this into an email and send it to them. I am so tired of having to decipher one word answers or phrases from clients. Nobody elaborates and really conveys with specific details what they mean in emails anymore...very frustrating. Using one keyword to describe that whole paragraph is not going to carry the same weight.
  07 July 2013
@Lagavulin16: Yes, I was. But, as this was my first post in the forum, there was a 24 hour delay to get the post approved. So, the email has already been sent to the customer.

However, I would still like to know the word. Just like bleed fastness on paper, there is a word that describes the loss of negative space between two shapes when downscaling a rasterized image.
  07 July 2013
I don't think there is a specific word for loss of space between shapes when scaling down. Like others have mentioned, compression artifacts, degradation, pixelation, artifacts, low-res are all terms that are fitting.
  07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: I don't think there is a specific word for loss of space between shapes when scaling down. Like others have mentioned, compression artifacts, degradation, pixelation, artifacts, low-res are all terms that are fitting.

I may be mistaken, but I always tought that vector based graphics were immune "by design" from such errors? Doesn't this type of error happens when the vector graphics are converted to raster graphics for our display. If it is so, then the errors are linked to the raster "medium" not being able to adequately convert the vector graphics and not linked to the vector graphics per se.
  07 July 2013
Pixel data loss.
  07 July 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: pixelated.

That's the first thing comes to my mind.
I like to learn.
  07 July 2013
The resulting image youve shown would happen after 2 stages; reducing the resolution, then increasing it with one method of sampling or another, so im not sure theres a specific word the result of both steps.

The first step can be called pixellation / pixellated, but the smooth blurry final result means its no longer pixellated, its just plain old blurry.

Add vote for shitty
Matthew O'Neill
  07 July 2013
lossy compression
-- LinkedIn Profile --
-- Blog --
-- Portfolio --
  07 July 2013
de-rezzed ?
Push - The force exerted on the door marked "pull"

Thread Closed share thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Society of Digital Artists

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.