The PACIFIC RIM Reviews Warn: 'Better Gear Up For A Monster Hit!'

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #61
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: In fairness, none of the Macross characters actually look Japanese:
It's been one of the "secret weapons" of Japanese animation - they view it as artistic gateway to "globalize" their stories.

So a proper Macross film should involve "global" production value.

I'd have no problem with that... They could shift the focus toward Roy as the lead or hero character for the Western audiences, for example, assuming that you are talking about Macross which has Hikaru Ichijo as the Japanese protagonist. Robotech was a faithful translation for its time, but its hard to say with any certainty what ethnicity "Rick Hunter" is supposed to have been.

I don't want to sound like some kind of purist killjoy, but it's the seemingly minor plot changes that really bug me about Robotech. I didn't really think Protoculture was a bad name for a sci-fi energy source, especially one produced in a Petri dish of some kind. But learning that Protoculture actually referred to an ancient culture, that the story was originally borrowing from Zechariah Sitchen's Nibiru hypothesis and the Biblical tales of giants... (To quote Captain Gloval: "It was so obvious!") I imagine it's similar to how many Star Wars fans felt about Lucas trying to explain "The Force" by bringing in the Midi-chlorians. It was a small change that changed everything.

Old 07 July 2013   #62
Originally Posted by moogaloonie: I'd have no problem with that... They could shift the focus toward Roy as the lead or hero character for the Western audiences, for example, assuming that you are talking about Macross which has Hikaru Ichijo as the Japanese protagonist. Robotech was a faithful translation for its time, but its hard to say with any certainty what ethnicity "Rick Hunter" is supposed to have been.

I don't want to sound like some kind of purist killjoy, but it's the seemingly minor plot changes that really bug me about Robotech. I didn't really think Protoculture was a bad name for a sci-fi energy source, especially one produced in a Petri dish of some kind. But learning that Protoculture actually referred to an ancient culture, that the story was originally borrowing from Zechariah Sitchen's Nibiru hypothesis and the Biblical tales of giants... (To quote Captain Gloval: "It was so obvious!") I imagine it's similar to how many Star Wars fans felt about Lucas trying to explain "The Force" by bringing in the Midi-chlorians. It was a small change that changed everything.

Hikaru Ichijyo will have to be a "global" Asian actor like a Daniel Wu (but younger) or something... an actor who can cross the divide and be able to actually act for scenes not directed for Asian markets (which have a tendency to over act). You want someone who can stand and deliver with the other Non-Asian actors and not look like he doesn't belong.

Agreed the Proto-Culture thing was stupid. I too saw Macross way after Robotech and the etymology of the word "Proto-Culture" always bothered me... I kept thinking: "Shouldn't it be about some kind of First Culture?"

When Macross came along it finally made sense. And in cinemas that kind of simplistic, but large scale realization is the only one that will work.

So Robotech movie? No. Macross Movie? Yes.

Old 07 July 2013   #63
Originally Posted by Michael5188: Grown Ups 2 beating it at the box office... is just, gross...

It's a bit disturbing that anyone would choose Grown Ups 2 over seeing anything else - including watching paint dry. Sandler's movies are just so terrible. Grown Ups 2 rated a towering 7% on the tomatometer. My three favorite critic remarks about the film were:

"When Taylor Lautner is the funniest thing in a movie starring Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, we're in trouble."

"It makes the first movie look like The Maltese Falcon."

"It's Rob Schneider who had something better to do! ! I have to refer to him forever from this day forward as The Smart One."

You know a movie is really bad if Rob Schneider passes on it!

Old 07 July 2013   #64
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: It takes a true artiste to turn a 300 page book into three long movies.

They should have given it to one then, and not to PJ
The first movie was HORRIBLE, and nothing I've seen or heard insofar of the second looks like it'll redeem things. And giving away Smaug in the trailer after the big secrecy + bare hint at the end of the first? Yeaaaah, that works.

As for Pacific Rim: Best ILM showreel to date.

I'm lost to where the movie part was though, it seemed they had half a temp edit for something with scratch dialogue and cheap actors tossed inbetween the action sequences that they never got around to replacing, and in the end thought "F' it, people don't go there for the dialogue anyway".

I won't watch it again except maybe for selected sequences on bluray, I enjoyed the geek out value and the tremendous craftmanship and coreography in it, and I'm glad someone made a long videoclip like this.

It's unique enough and so self-referential and unapologetically bad ass that at least ONE flick like this has the right to exist. I'm ok with it, much like I'm ok with crap like Sharknado in the context it exists in. As a movie though it fails across the entire line, but it demonstrates good VFX can save the most terrible of scripts, the most useless actors, and a creative unit that's clearly trying to find its way out of its own gigantic collective arse while the staff at ILM waltzes around them

Old 07 July 2013   #65
Originally Posted by webhead: It's a bit disturbing that anyone would choose Grown Ups 2 over seeing anything else - including watching paint dry. Sandler's movies are just so terrible. Grown Ups 2 rated a towering 7% on the tomatometer. My three favorite critic remarks about the film were:

"When Taylor Lautner is the funniest thing in a movie starring Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, we're in trouble."

"It makes the first movie look like The Maltese Falcon."

"It's Rob Schneider who had something better to do! ! I have to refer to him forever from this day forward as The Smart One."

You know a movie is really bad if Rob Schneider passes on it!

Didn't anybody read my post earlier about "Series starters prospects"?
Pacific Rim is on-track.

Ok.. You can't compare Pacific Rim to Grown Ups 2 because:

1) Grown Ups 2 is a Sequel to a hit film
2) Adam Sandler is a box office draw (or rather this is tested with this release)

Really, some of you sound like the fans who cried foul when Transformers' opening weekend was "only" 70 million USD because they thought it needed to open north of 100 million for it not to be considered a failure.

Series starter.... the expectations are lower for series starters.

Not saying it's a shoe-in... but 2nd weekend and word-of-mouth will be the decider.
Also... we should be somewhat happy Adam Sandler can regain some of his confidence.

Old 07 July 2013   #66
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Didn't anybody read my post earlier about "Series starters prospects"?
Pacific Rim is on-track.

Ok.. You can't compare Pacific Rim to Grown Ups 2 because:

1) Grown Ups 2 is a Sequel to a hit film
2) Adam Sandler is a box office draw (or rather this is tested with this release)

Really, some of you sound like the fans who cried foul when Transformers' opening weekend was "only" 70 million USD because they thought it needed to open north of 100 million for it not to be considered a failure.

Series starter.... the expectations are lower for series starters.

Not saying it's a shoe-in... but 2nd weekend and word-of-mouth will be the decider.
Also... we should be somewhat happy Adam Sandler can regain some of his confidence.

Kick-ass was supposedly too big of a disappointment to ever get a sequel and ended up doing extremely well on home video/the sequel will be out shortly.

Old 07 July 2013   #67
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: Kick-ass was supposedly too big of a disappointment to ever get a sequel and ended up doing extremely well on home video/the sequel will be out shortly.

Very astute observation by this gentleman right here.

Kick-Ass was TERRIBLE!

So a decision to return back to it was contingent on strong home video response.
Basically that's your "last chance" to demonstrate you have a following.

So really.... If Warner says "We estimated Pacific Rim will earn 30 Million" and it got 38 million?
On-track... on-course... no guarantees.. but it's not nearly as much of a downer as some of you fans are on.

Here's some good news: It's the biggest opening ever for director Guillermo Del Toro.

Old 07 July 2013   #68
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Very astute observation by this gentleman right here.

Kick-Ass was TERRIBLE!

So a decision to return back to it was contingent on strong home video response.
Basically that's your "last chance" to demonstrate you have a following.

So really.... If Warner says "We estimated Pacific Rim will earn 30 Million" and it got 38 million?
On-track... on-course... no guarantees.. but it's not nearly as much of a downer as some of you fans are on.

Here's some good news: It's the biggest opening ever for director Guillermo Del Toro.

No worries... Pacific Rim is going to make billions on Japan alone! 😁

Old 07 July 2013   #69
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: As a movie though it fails across the entire line, but it demonstrates good VFX can save the most terrible of scripts, the most useless actors, and a creative unit that's clearly trying to find its way out of its own gigantic collective arse while the staff at ILM waltzes around them

I seriously think you should re-watch the Transfomers movies and then reconsider the above.

Old 07 July 2013   #70
Those who continually flock to Adam Sandler movies are doing a major disservice to the industry at large. It just allows the perpetuation of more garbage films. If they are going to consume crap, give them more.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 07 July 2013   #71
I guess I should never have expected any better than some of the negative, hating, remarks on the film around here. I, for one, loved it. For a movie I thought was going to be a huge FX battle reel, I loved the characters. I loved the casting and I thought the acting was exactly what it should be. Maybe I am more comparing it to anime and old kaiju flicks than Citizen Kane or The Godfather, but I thought everything was done perfectly. Considering how little time he had to spend on character and relationship development stuff, there is a lot of great, and subtle, character relationship stuff going on in there.

The so called downtime between bit battles never felt slow to me. I never felt I wanted to fast forward and get to the mechs battling. I like that stuff. It could be called predictable, I suppose, but it's a kaiju movie. Some of that stuff just has to happen. Some of that stuff was just great fun, like the scientists and the visits to Ron Pearlman. The one scientist was even more funny considering he played such a badass on Torchwood.

I don't know what I want to see a sequel to this movie, anymore than I want to see a Hollywood made Macross film with typical Hollywood casting. (Last Airbender anyone?) Granted, with names like Roy Fokker and Claudia Lasalle, not every character is meant to be Asian, but I am guessing that Misa Hayase, Rin Min Mei (not Lynn Minmay), and Hikaru Ichijou are meant to be Asian, and since they don't do gung fu it is unlikely they'll be leading a Hollywood flick.

Sometimes it is nice to let a movie stand as it is. They cancelled the apocalypse. No need for a sequel.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2013   #72
I have to say, Positively, that overall I thought Pacific Rim was a great realization of the genre. May not be perfect, but I would imagine the coming together of such a production that even challenges the film creation process is worthy. Overall, it felt like a larger than life story, and it did that very well.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 07 July 2013   #73
Just a thought, more than a niggle, but considering conventional weapons can bring the monsters down, wouldn't it be more effective to have the robots supported by an air force? Team up on the bastards, perhaps?

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07 July 2013   #74
Originally Posted by Boone: Just a thought, more than a niggle, but considering conventional weapons can bring the monsters down, wouldn't it be more effective to have the robots supported by an air force? Team up on the bastards, perhaps?

Well they said originally it took 6 days to bring one down with traditional weapons, so they just don't seem very effective, and that was against a class 1 kaiju. The class 4s seemed pretty explosion-resistant. I think also the way the creatures are shown to move and change direction so quickly that missile lock may not work very well either. The big chest missiles on Eureka are more like explosive bullets in the way they shoot in a straight line at close range, and they are also much more massive than any conventional aircraft could carry.

I noticed that other than that, only Gipsy had its plasma cannon, was that only made possible by the fact it had a big reactor? It seemed to have a limited number of charges? I am curious what some of the other weapons on the other jaegers through history were or if they were strictly blunt force/cutting. Have to go look at some extended universe stuff for it now. Has anyone checked out the Year Zero comic?

Also was thinking of all the other tactical suggestions others have made..abandoning the coasts (and seas) might be possible of course, but even if you make them come inland to fight and somehow engage them in a huge empty no-man's-land, there would be a lot of logistical problems with everywhere in the world being cut off from each other, not to mention lacking any ability to "bring the fight to them", and eventually they would overwhelm us. Even though they were giant sea monsters, there was no indication they'd dry out or have any problems on land, either. Nuclear attacks at the portal could work if they didn't dodge it, but only a few times, not to mention a steady amount of fallout around the world.

Plus of course it would be no fun at all to watch. As MST3k said, just repeat to yourself "it's just a show" :P

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Speaking of fun to watch and nukes, how damn cool was the "void" in the ocean after the first nuke went off? The fish flopping and then water rushing back in? Made no sense anything could have withstood that tidal wave or the blast, but it was just an awesome unexpected movie moment.

Old 07 July 2013   #75
Originally Posted by hypercube: Well they said originally it took 6 days to bring one down with traditional weapons, so they just don't seem very effective, and that was against a class 1 kaiju. The class 4s seemed pretty explosion-resistant. I think also the way the creatures are shown to move and change direction so quickly that missile lock may not work very well either. The big chest missiles on Eureka are more like explosive bullets in the way they shoot in a straight line at close range, and they are also much more massive than any conventional aircraft could carry.

I noticed that other than that, only Gipsy had its plasma cannon, was that only made possible by the fact it had a big reactor? It seemed to have a limited number of charges? I am curious what some of the other weapons on the other jaegers through history were or if they were strictly blunt force/cutting. Have to go look at some extended universe stuff for it now. Has anyone checked out the Year Zero comic?

Also was thinking of all the other tactical suggestions others have made..abandoning the coasts (and seas) might be possible of course, but even if you make them come inland to fight and somehow engage them in a huge empty no-man's-land, there would be a lot of logistical problems with everywhere in the world being cut off from each other, not to mention lacking any ability to "bring the fight to them", and eventually they would overwhelm us. Even though they were giant sea monsters, there was no indication they'd dry out or have any problems on land, either. Nuclear attacks at the portal could work if they didn't dodge it, but only a few times, not to mention a steady amount of fallout around the world.

Plus of course it would be no fun at all to watch. As MST3k said, just repeat to yourself "it's just a show" :P

Okay...what about Chuck Norris?

Currently working on...HCR #42

Thread Closed share thread