The PACIFIC RIM Reviews Warn: 'Better Gear Up For A Monster Hit!'

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #46
Just about every part of this movie, robots, monsters, last hope of humanity, etc... we've seen/read before. So nothing new here... but somehow, it's all put together to create an ridiculously awesome experience. It's like magic, really, having so much fun watching a movie which in theory should not be very good at all. Hats off to the director and everybody who worked on it.

Visually, I liked probably everything about it. The lighting, framing, editing... really neat.

Old 07 July 2013   #47
My girlfriend loved it. I mostly like it. I thought there was too much downtime between the 1st and second battle. The character Maku became annoying and the final battle was outclassed by the one before that.

I also did not like the simplistic take on the alien design. It felt to game cinematic. Actually there were many elements that felt burrowed from the game industry and cinematics.

Overall it was way better than I expected but to be honest my expectations were low because of the bad trailers (in my opinion of course).

7/10.

Old 07 July 2013   #48
It was a good film as it was trying so hard to capture the cool factor of Japanese monster movies and animation. Sadly, although its great to look at and the action is thrilling, it rested far too much on its influences rather than contribute anything new to the genre. At some point a film needs to "become its own" to be a true classic.

At the end of the day we are left with an awesome remake of Robojox, but a poor-man's Evangelion.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07 July 2013   #49
All i will say is that i am SO glad that Guillermo never finished the Hobbit and that PJ took it back into his loving hands...I wouldn't call Guillermo a hack, but he's really not as great as everyone thinks he is (Pans Lab aside). Hell boy was OK, but my god the sequel plumbed new depths of awefullness.

Last edited by thethule : 07 July 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #50
Originally Posted by thethule: All i will say is that i am SO glad that Guillermo never finished the Hobbit and that PJ took it back into his laving hands...I wouldn't call Guillermo a hack, but he's really not as great as everyone thinks he is (Pans Lab aside). Hell boy was OK, but my god the sequel plumbed new depths of awefullness.

I am so happy I am not the only one thinking like this. Guillermo is praised all over the place now and has this aura of directing with his heart and stuff like this. I for one don't get what makes hims so special. Peter Jackson gave us Lord of the Rings. Why would I be happy that Guillermo was about to make the Hobbit?

Also people praising the camera work. There were multiple times in the battle where I could not get what was happening, who is punching who. I just think it's some bias in all this, if M Bay would have made this Pacific Rim I can already hear the hate.

Old 07 July 2013   #51
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: if M Bay would have made this Pacific Rim I can already hear the hate.

I thought MBay did a good job in the last installment of TF correcting for too much wigglywoggle-cam in the two previous films. It was a lot clearer and the action was well defined I thought.

Old 07 July 2013   #52
Originally Posted by paintbox: I thought MBay did a good job in the last installment of TF correcting for too much wigglywoggle-cam in the two previous films. It was a lot clearer and the action was well defined I thought.

He definitely improved a lot in TF3. I think even HE knew how s**t TF2 was

Old 07 July 2013   #53
Originally Posted by thethule: I wouldn't call Guillermo a hack, but he's really not as great as everyone thinks he is

Old 07 July 2013   #54
Originally Posted by leigh:

My middle name is edgy

Old 07 July 2013   #55
Saw this in True IMAX 3D on Saturday. Loved it. Spoiler comments below.

Four things I wanted to see... And two things that I didn't want to see...

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
1. When Gipsy Danger was falling from orbit, why didn't they fire up the back jetpack AND the elbow rockets for some flying action? I did like the chest blaster save at the last minute though. Nice touch.

2. Why didn't the head of the Gipsy Danger act as the escape pod? Rocketing the pilots to safety and preserving the 'soul' of the mecha?

3. I would have preferred they show us a FANTASTIC tube/vortex bridging the dimensions and let the Gipsy Danger block the vortex at its narrowest point by extending its arms (which are destroyed) into either side of the vortex (e.g., "Jesus on the Cross"). Then eject the head and detonate... Maybe a class 6 or 7 Kaiju is seen below, just entering the vortex from the badguys side.

4. I wanted the class 5/6 Kaiju at the end to have a more distinctive silhouette. Maybe accentuate tentacles moving at high speed, creating a vortex, pulling in the Striker Eureka to certain death (hence nuke).

---significant problems I had with the film---

I felt the 'enemy' was anticlimactic and visually boring compared to the rest of the film. I would have preferred NOT to have seen them at this point. It was not a payoff to me.

The ending on the raft was almost laughable. I'd have preferred an award ceremony (a la Star Wars) and cut to sparkly energy field forming in a lunar crater. :-)

Old 07 July 2013   #56
Grown Ups 2 beating it at the box office... is just, gross...

I really enjoyed this film, had so much fun, and I liked the characters. The main character, Raleigh, was definitely the weakest part, but the rest made up for it.

Plus I know most cg films these days have great visuals, but really, this movie blew my mind. I've never seen anything like it... the fights were simply incredible. Only wish the last 3 monster designs, especially the big baddie, were more creative/different looking. The fight in hong kong was so great cause the two kaiju were so original and distinct. The last fight I couldn't tell you what those even really looked like...

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 07 July 2013   #57
Originally Posted by thethule: All i will say is that i am SO glad that Guillermo never finished the Hobbit and that PJ took it back into his loving hands...I wouldn't call Guillermo a hack, but he's really not as great as everyone thinks he is (Pans Lab aside). Hell boy was OK, but my god the sequel plumbed new depths of awefullness.

It takes a true artiste to turn a 300 page book into three long movies.

Old 07 July 2013   #58
Originally Posted by Michael5188: Grown Ups 2 beating it at the box office... is just, gross...

I really enjoyed this film, had so much fun, and I liked the characters. The main character, Raleigh, was definitely the weakest part, but the rest made up for it.

Plus I know most cg films these days have great visuals, but really, this movie blew my mind. I've never seen anything like it... the fights were simply incredible. Only wish the last 3 monster designs, especially the big baddie, were more creative/different looking. The fight in hong kong was so great cause the two kaiju were so original and distinct. The last fight I couldn't tell you what those even really looked like...

I agree with these comments wholeheartedly!

Old 07 July 2013   #59
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: My favourite was the Aussie mech. : ) (not for patriotism but because it reminded me of a Veritech in Battloid form). Oooooh for a Robotech movie...

I was told that if this movie tanked there would never be a Robotech movie... I felt conflicted as the thought of a Hollywood produced Robotech movie with an American cast truly terrifies me. I still have fond memories of watching Robotech before I discovered the superior source material, and I might even enjoy a live action take on the novels if they created original mechanical designs... I do not want to see Miley Cyrus as Lin Minmei or Tobey Maguire as Rick Hunter re-telling a story that should never have been cobbled together in the first place IMHO. Or maybe I'm just bitter that Robotech is the reason Macross Zero and Macross Frontier will never come to the US.

Old 07 July 2013   #60
Originally Posted by moogaloonie: I was told that if this movie tanked there would never be a Robotech movie... I felt conflicted as the thought of a Hollywood produced Robotech movie with an American cast truly terrifies me. I still have fond memories of watching Robotech before I discovered the superior source material, and I might even enjoy a live action take on the novels if they created original mechanical designs... I do not want to see Miley Cyrus as Lin Minmei or Tobey Maguire as Rick Hunter re-telling a story that should never have been cobbled together in the first place IMHO. Or maybe I'm just bitter that Robotech is the reason Macross Zero and Macross Frontier will never come to the US.

In fairness, none of the Macross characters actually look Japanese:

It's been one of the "secret weapons" of Japanese animation - they view it as artistic gateway to "globalize" their stories.

So a proper Macross film should involve "global" production value.

Thread Closed share thread