Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

That didn't take long. I wonder if this is going to be a totally divisive movie or many percentages like/dislike inbetween.

I just have to agree to disagree.

It's an older school style for older school people. I loved Evangelion and other series, the action in many of them are stellar, but some of the others are just as goofy, filled with fan service and wild takes and cartoony moments inbetween and completely bizarre. I just don't feel that would translate well to live action outside of something like Scott Pilgrim. Speed Racer tried and took it too far, I thought.

I feel this is more like BIG O, or going back to the stuff THAT was referencing like Tetsujin, Giant Robo, all the live action kaiju movies, Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, etc. it's big and clanky, these things aren't Ferraris like EVAs. Sure, I would like to see a live action Evangelion movie with that type of fast action pacing and sensibility, if it kept the action and rethought all the horribly drawn out and depressing plots and subplots.

That said I would like to see GDT able to spend this amount of money on spectacle and have a more nuanced plot and characters too, but hopefully he will get to do that along the way.

This movie worked for me like a charm, I felt what GDT was trying to do, and connected with it. It didn't for work you, sorry to hear that, but I'm not going to feel bad about it.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman7
What another disappointing movie! Can Hollywood just stay away from Asian themed stuff.
I went with 5 different types of people to this movie and all 5 thought it was dumb.
People who like this movie simply don't know any better.

Neon genesis, shelled city regios,Attack on Titan, gurren lagann. That is how you do giant monsters and mechs.

I always laugh when people talk about something being dumb and then mention something like Attack on Titan, which I like but has some of the worst dialogue since.. well it's from Japan so, since last week. SMH.

Loved this flick.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
grrinc
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman7
I went with 5 different types of people to this movie and all 5 thought it was dumb.

Well I went with six different types of people and I even made them fill out a questionnaire to make sure. Lo and behold, they loved the movie!! Afterwards, we all agreed that anyone who didn't like this movie simply don't know any better.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I love this movie and I'd give it 69/100.

Overall its great but it has several issues.

- Dear god, by now people should have know to NOT put extra good stuff after credits. In a lot of countries, the light is already up and people already shoo people away. Can't you just put 'the end' and show the extras? (by the way, why movies now go straight to credit, no 'the end' anymore?).

- And stuff I'm not in the mood writing (require spoiler tag anyway) and some personal references (which I don't quite like).

The only thing I can write is the fight scene. Its too hectic and too dark and some other stuff I don't even know what going on other than who hit who. As a person who grow up watching a lot of Japanese monster movies, I don't get it why they didn't make the fight clear cut?

Sigh....

Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox

The only thing I can write is the fight scene. Its too hectic and too dark and some other stuff I don't even know what going on other than who hit who. As a person who grow up watching a lot of Japanese monster movies, I don't get it why they didn't make the fight clear cut?

Did you see it in 3D or 2D? I saw it in 2D and I could see everything, even in the rain and water..I thought the fight choreography and staging was actually really nice and clean, especially considering everything going on and the environments, thought they took care to show spatial relations, silhouettes etc. pretty well. I thought the cinematography overall was quite stellar.

I'd say the messiest fight was the big one with all the teams, but I felt I could follow it.

Out of curiosity, how many saw it 3D vs. 2D or IMAX 3D?

I rolled the dice on 2D because I couldn't see it in IMAX right away, and I knew RealD or the other systems would crush the levels in such a dark movie down too much, especially after a terrible viewing experience with Iron Man 3. Very glad I did. I'm actually kind of torn because I want to see it in IMAX but I still hate post conversion.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
Did you see it in 3D or 2D? I saw it in 2D and I could see everything, even in the rain and water..I thought the fight choreography and staging was actually really nice and clean, especially considering everything going on and the environments, thought they took care to show spatial relations, silhouettes etc. pretty well. I thought the cinematography overall was quite stellar.

I'd say the messiest fight was the big one with all the teams, but I felt I could follow it.

Out of curiosity, how many saw it 3D vs. 2D or IMAX 3D?

I rolled the dice on 2D because I couldn't see it in IMAX right away, and I knew RealD or the other systems would crush the levels in such a dark movie down too much, especially after a terrible viewing experience with Iron Man 3. Very glad I did. I'm actually kind of torn because I want to see it in IMAX but I still hate post conversion.

MAXX 3D (IMAX).

Maybe thats my fault. I always told myself to watch ONLY animated 3D in 3D. I know the late Roger Ebert have complained this many times for far too long already.

However, having watched Real Steel 3 times (with one of it being MAX 3D) I know who fight who and use what against where. But maybe this is due to the reason that its a boxing movie, so the fight is well choreographed and filmed the way people would record a boxing match.

But Pacific Rim fight is just like a bad action movie, sorry, but this is where too much of fast cut trying to hide the fast that they couldn't afford a stunt man, and their main actor/actress cannot fight. This is sad because the 3D is awesome and they can make all kind of action.

Try looking at Pacific Rim fight and then try to look at Ultraman, or other Flashman, or other robot vs monster, or five tag team transformed into big robot fight monster and what not.

Too much fast cut and too hectic.

I read quite a number of articles about fight in movies and of course, it doesn't represent reality (for example a lot of mma fight end up ground and pound), and film fight intentionally to make it look cool.

I think maybe it too dark. But also too much fast cut and what not. I don't even fully grasp how the final monster look like.

Oh well, will try to rent the dvd when its out.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
narenn
PRO
portfolio
Naren Naidoo
Pixel Pusher
ILM
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
I love this movie and I'd give it 69/100.

Overall its great but it has several issues.

- Dear god, by now people should have know to NOT put extra good stuff after credits. In a lot of countries, the light is already up and people already shoo people away. Can't you just put 'the end' and show the extras? (by the way, why movies now go straight to credit, no 'the end' anymore?).

- And stuff I'm not in the mood writing (require spoiler tag anyway) and some personal references (which I don't quite like).

Sigh....

You marked points for:

-Showing a quick 30 second funny scene after the mograph end titles
-"stuff"?
-And the theater you watched it in was too dark...

Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I think I will give live action 3d movie on IMAX another go, and after that i'll see if it doesn't justify the price.

Sad really, because 3D TV is cool. Even in daylight or night scene. It looks like these day I need to watch movies in 2D, and someday in the future when I can afford a 3d tv, but the 3D Blue-Ray.

It is sad how 3D on TV and 3D on MAX looked. I understand about the technology (cinema is projection based). Sigh....

Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenn
You marked points for:

-Showing a quick 30 second funny scene after the mograph end titles
-"stuff"?
-And the theater you watched it in was too dark...

From the internet I realized that its something cool and changed the story drastically (a mini story anyway). It can be included as a closure cut (like a final episode where director shows what happened to everyone thingy).

Yes. The theather is too dark - but it also the same one I go to watch Real Steel and I understand the fight. And it was too much fast cut compared to a lot of other monster fighting movies. Its like trying to make a homage to Jet Li or Jackie Chan fighting movies, but instead of full shot of actor doing awesome stunt and cool moves, there are fast cuts everywhere.

Currently Muslim is having the month of Ramadhan (google it). I'm still hungry right now. Maybe later I'll cover the stuff. But you know what, I'll add one now, let me test the spoiler tag.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

- if activating the nuclear require the switching of switches in the middle of cockpit, why didn't that son didn't eject himself out? its not like they are doing anything other than standing. correct me if i'm wrong but im sure the jager have eject seat, since when the got the electric out they did talk about abandoning the robot, which the father said no. its okay for that elba character to die since he is dying anyway. Besides, wasn't one of the cool point is that he is one of the two people that actually able to handle a jager single handedly, the other being the hero? Then just eject that son out (like what the hero did to his partner) and control the robot (or just activate the nuclear) at the final moment. JUST USE BOTH HAND ON THAT TWO BUTTON!

- personal preferences: i don't know why the son have to die since he doesn't have to? was it because he was bad to the hero/heroin? Considering his gut feeling was right (the heroin almost blow hundreds of people, thanks to the engineers pulling the plug). Why didn't the screenwriter make him broke his arm instead and the father is the one to go. at least now the pilots are both old skool, and have no problem dying.

- It started with brothers. Then it goes to family pairing: triplet, brother and sister, father and son. And then, because action movie nowdays just have to got action girl (i still pissed of at the Pepper Pot blow the bad guy ending of Iron Man 3 - google this forum for my critism) a man and a woman. I know. To add loves story and bring the female viewer cash. And throw in the heroin kick the hero ass for bonus point.

- my personal preferences : with our country is doing all kind of under the table record keeping, why not add a DNA storyline (just read about real file where police can legally get your dna) and realize that he has another half brother that he didn't know about?

Look, this is not about feminism, misogynist and what not. It just that after watching too much movies, and reading stories about the movie business, I realized there are things done for the sake of the dollar (case in point: Iron Man 3 Chinese Edition), and China to North Korea conversion of Red Dawn (?) - which is ironic due to the actor nationality...). But please, the brother in arm intro is AWESOME!!! (there also a Yahoo story about 3 brothers go to West Point at the same time). Look, I have no problems with Lara Croft, Charlies Angels, Resident Evil so there are places for action girl. But if the story is about syncing, and originally it was brothers, what is wrong with adding a secret half brother? Let make the hero is still involved in the military - but more of desk / office job, and people hated his half brother because he is a civillian doing menial work (construction) instead? Only to realize that his half brother is also good at combat (takes martial art classes) it just that maybe life lead him to do menial work?

- cookie cutter / stereotypical scientist. Sigh. Michio Kaku is a co-founder of the string theory, ever see how he behave and talk? But hey, at least they work in the same room, and finally work together. At least the 'alone in a room mad scientist' type have died off!

Anyway, i think that's enough for now. I'm not a paid critic. I paid for expensive IMAX 3D ticket (expensive since it was one of the largest screen in SEA (?) and I gave the movie 69/100. end of story. Besides, most score cut was not due to darkness, but the cut and the story line. So 31 point cut was mostly covered in the 'stuff', with some of it mentioned above. not necessarily due to that extra scene at the end of credit.

Last edited by fablefox : 07-13-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #25
banman7
Frequenter
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:
It's an older school style for older school people. I loved Evangelion and other series, the action in many of them are stellar, but some of the others are just as goofy, filled with fan service and wild takes and cartoony moments inbetween and completely bizarre. I just don't feel that would translate well to live action outside of something like Scott Pilgrim. Speed Racer tried and took it too far, I thought. I feel this is more like BIG O, or going back to the stuff THAT was referencing like Tetsujin, Giant Robo, all the live action kaiju movies, Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, etc. it's big and clanky, these things aren't Ferraris like EVAs. Sure, I would like to see a live action Evangelion movie with that type of fast action pacing and sensibility, if it kept the action and rethought all the horribly drawn out and depressing plots and subplots.

Why not have fun doing some of the inbetween stuff? Speed Racer was just bad. They overloaded on stuff and tried to hard. Seasoned with salt not doused.

I did not hate the movie. My rating was about a 6/10. It was passable. But really not as good as I had anticipated.

Quote:
...So thats it? your high and mighty opinion cancels everyone else likes and dislikes? People who think like this simply don't know any better...

Not trying to be it is just my honest opinion. I guess I know what those people who love something feel like. Like old school rap, emo, dub step, metal, etc and then all of the sudden it becomes mainstream and they take what you love and do a version of it that is passable but nothing like the older albums. I mean don't get me wrong. The battles were great and it had some great points but something was missing.

Quote:
Attack on Titan, which I like but has some of the worst dialogue since.. well it's from Japan so, since last week. SMH.

I agree, dialogue is not usually Japan's best export but I will say they say a lot without saying anything at all. A ton of Japanese dialogue is mostly just screaming or something.
Kiiiinnnaaadaaaa! But there are those scenes where there is just silence and then boom. This movie to me felt like it talked to much when it did not need to and then when it should have it didn't.

But like I said 6/10 for me. C+ I would watch it again. I think Guillermo was respectful of the Kaiju. He at least understood big robots and monsters very well.

I hope they get Godzilla right and have him fight another monster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLhmT8sDR8

Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #26
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

i really enjoyed this movie and i didn't see it 3d but 2D. i think 3d is better suited for animated movies.

Quote:
What another disappointing movie! Can Hollywood just stay away from Asian themed stuff.

Neon genesis, shelled city regios,Attack on Titan, gurren lagann. That is how you do giant monsters and mechs.

i would compare the mechs in this movie to BigO and thats about it. Not sure what makes you feel you can tell me i don't know any better for liking this movie.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Saw it again and the cliches bothered me a little more, but I could seriously watch those battle scenes for days. The moments that made me geek out still made me geek out, even knowing what was coming, or maybe because I knew where to look. Was great to be able to pay attention to other small details, because there are literally so many.

I think one of the big divides for this movie may also depend on how old you are or what you have watched in your past for comparison and frame of reference. This was such a perfect mashup of TOHO movies and pretty much everything in that genre from the 60s and 70s that it doesn't seem right to put it up against even stuff from the 80s onward, the sensibilities are just so different.

I am really not sure how they can make the new Godzilla movie interesting after this, even if he is the granddaddy of them all, him trashing the city and being fought with conventional weapons just sounds so boring now, even if they do it in a more logical/"realistic" fashion, or maybe because of that.

P.S. Also did 2D for this viewing again..very curious to see it in 3D after reading an article talking about how ILM did native 3D rendering for a lot of the scenes so they have true depth, but I will have to wait for the IMAX to clear out, well and find a third group of people to go with.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #28
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
P.S. Also did 2D for this viewing again..very curious to see it in 3D after reading an article talking about how ILM did native 3D rendering for a lot of the scenes so they have true depth, but I will have to wait for the IMAX to clear out, well and find a third group of people to go with.

I saw it in 3D and the 3D is awesome and well made. In the US do they play the trailer 'Walking with the dinasour the movie' first? Because that is way too much in your face 3D - even when compared to the original 3d live action dinasour movie used to sell IMAX at first (which i forgot the title).

Other than that, at my cinema it was dark.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Saw it again and the cliches bothered me a little more, but I could seriously watch those battle scenes for days. The moments that made me geek out still made me geek out, even knowing what was coming, or maybe because I knew where to look. Was great to be able to pay attention to other small details, because there are literally so many.

I think one of the big divides for this movie may also depend on how old you are or what you have watched in your past for comparison and frame of reference. This was such a perfect mashup of TOHO movies and pretty much everything in that genre from the 60s and 70s that it doesn't seem right to put it up against even stuff from the 80s onward, the sensibilities are just so different.

I am really not sure how they can make the new Godzilla movie interesting after this, even if he is the granddaddy of them all, him trashing the city and being fought with conventional weapons just sounds so boring now, even if they do it in a more logical/"realistic" fashion, or maybe because of that.

I didn't plan to see this in 3D but after having no choice today (unless I wanted to pay $39 for Director's suite), I'm glad I did. I assumed it'd be the same 3D cutout technique that's been killing the medium for ages but it is noticeably native and just lovely.

My favourite was the Aussie mech. : ) (not for patriotism but because it reminded me of a Veritech in Battloid form). Oooooh for a Robotech movie...

Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
playmesumch00ns
Lord of the posts

render monkey
pretty picture maker
United Kingdom

The best VFX work of the year combined with the poorest script of the year. Honestly this was Battleship-bad. One-dimensional characters, atrocious dialogue and completely nonsensical stuff thrown in just because it needs to happen for the story to progress - "it's OK the Gipsy Danger is analogue!" WTF? does it run on clockwork?

also...
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

The decision to make the Kaiju weapons of an alien invasion force as opposed to just wild beasts was stupid as hell. OK, I get it, it's to stop us feeling too sorry for the Kaiju when the Jaegers are ripping them apart (I hope this is something Godzilla will deal with in a more intelligent way), but as an invasion tactic it has to be the most retarded ever.

Seriously, if these alien beings can open an inter-dimensional portal between worlds they can't come up with a more efficient way of wiping the population out than sending a giant monster through? (and why in a specific order according to a obviously-deducible mathematical pattern?).

And if they've done it once, why can't they do it again just because you blew up one portal? After they've been hanging around for 65-million years waiting for us to screw up our atmosphere enough for them to want to take over (get it!?) you really think they only built one? If it was some kind of a natural phenomenon then I could believe that would be that but hey, we've got to leave it open for a sequel I guess.

Was it really native stereo? I can't really believe it. There were horrible soft-matte lines on a lot of the dialogue and some scenes (most notably the wide shots in the scene with the young Mako walking in the ruins) had bizarre parallax issues.

I'm going to go see it again in 2D just to be able to actually see what the hell is going on in the fight scenes. 3D ruined them. I wish Hollywood would just stop I've had enough now: it's got to the point where I would actually pay more for a 2D ticket with allocated seating than watch a good-looking film ruined by a sh*tty conversion.

All that said, I can't deny that I had a hell of a lot of fun with the movie. The fight scenes were incredible. It's just a shame that the terrible writing brought down what could otherwise have been something really great.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Last edited by playmesumch00ns : 07-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Thread Closed share thread