Toonshading - What you would like to see?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Sthu: Don't turn something that can be taught in 1 hour to 4 hours.
Don't let us wait for a 2 minute rendering while you try and fill the silence with nonsense.

Yeah all that. Some of us like the videos short and to the point, otherwise we lose interest.

Old 07 July 2013   #17
Smile

Originally Posted by JoshBowman: Sounds interesting but why 3DS or Lightwave? Why not Maya or Blender? Unless you're going to be using things that aren't software specific, I'd think you would be limiting your audience.

Maya is the 1st one we'll be covering this tutorial on, then 3Dmax then Lightwave. For Blender we are currently working on that too as well as Cinema 4D. Turns out this method can actually be used for all of these since they carry the tools necessary for it to be done.

Old 07 July 2013   #18
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dillster: Yeah all that. Some of us like the videos short and to the point, otherwise we lose interest.

I agree 110%

Old 07 July 2013   #19
I tried Toonshading in Maya, it's pretty easy to start but it's difficult to master and control. It's more on experimenting than actual knowing what i am doing.

Old 07 July 2013   #20
Originally Posted by iikii: I tried Toonshading in Maya, it's pretty easy to start but it's difficult to master and control. It's more on experimenting than actual knowing what i am doing.

All the more reason why we're doing this. To be able to correctly connect the 2D look and have total control over your lighting with all the benefits of 3D and the ease of use makes it easier for smaller and larger companies to quickly create their projects and to be able to go back and make quick changes if necessary, opposed to having to redraw an entire scene (been there and trust me its not fun at all) that can take quite a lot of time. Not to mention how fast toon shading renders.

Old 07 July 2013   #21
I know we were talking about toon shading and one of the artists here did some cool illustration looking cel-shading. He did one of Boba Fett female and spawn. I forgot which post and who it was but it was cool.

Something that is more than the standard cell shading that is for sure.

Old 07 July 2013   #22
Scenes that the user can follow along with.
Both with a begin state and a finished state for each tutorial/or stage if its a complex 'project'.

Many folks might be too lazy to follow along with a scene at the same time-but then guess how much they *really* remember about a tool and parameter setting.
Plus when it comes time to apply their own work-and something isn't working as expected they have a small library of example scenes to refer to or extract a preset from.

Old 07 July 2013   #23
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by circusboy: Scenes that the user can follow along with.
Both with a begin state and a finished state for each tutorial/or stage if its a complex 'project'.

Many folks might be too lazy to follow along with a scene at the same time-but then guess how much they *really* remember about a tool and parameter setting.
Plus when it comes time to apply their own work-and something isn't working as expected they have a small library of example scenes to refer to or extract a preset from.

Love this idea and agree fully! Will be adding our project files for the tutorials thanks to your input.

Old 07 July 2013   #24
Something I've been wondering, is it possible to create speed/motion lines with toon shading? Also I would like to see how to toon shade other things besides the character too, like the environment setting and the props.

Old 07 July 2013   #25
Smile

Originally Posted by Darkherow: Something I've been wondering, is it possible to create speed/motion lines with toon shading? Also I would like to see how to toon shade other things besides the character too, like the environment setting and the props.

Its possible, but for us its easier to use particle emitters for speed lines and those famous streaks of light you see trailing behind a weapon or the afterglow trail off a brightly lit surface.
Toon Shading Environments and even Weapons (Swords / Guns) are also being covered in this tutorial.

Old 07 July 2013   #26
Originally Posted by artMagic: Its possible, but for us its easier to use particle emitters for speed lines and those famous streaks of light you see trailing behind a weapon or the afterglow trail off a brightly lit surface.
Toon Shading Environments and even Weapons (Swords / Guns) are also being covered in this tutorial.

If you can show that, it would be great and I look forward to see your tutorial, and good luck.

Old 07 July 2013   #27
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Darkherow: If you can show that, it would be great and I look forward to see your tutorial, and good luck.

Thank you for your reply

Edit: Link to our first episode can be found here for toon shading:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjRMtpOVLLc

Last edited by artMagic : 09 September 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #28
Episode 2 is up, Episode 3 will be up on the weekend.

Old 11 November 2013   #29
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread