Toonshading - What you would like to see?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Toonshading - What you would like to see?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a 12 part tutorial on Toon Shading and a Light Set-up for Autodesk Maya (Will post link here when done if permitted - Not sure if I am) and it just hit me, are there any in-depth tutorials via the web that cover such a thing as I don't want to 'Re-invent the wheel' so to speak.

So tell me, what topics would you like covered in a tutorial for Toon Shading?

Edit: Current Episodes can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeroLi...l?feature=watch

Update: Episode 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpK8...VuTYTo7Q6XnE9kA

Last edited by artMagic : 01 January 2014 at 09:07 AM.

07 July 2013
Where's the toon shading button?

I'm just kidding, but seriously, I think a sort of comparative analysis of different 2d animation styles and what kind of material settings best comports to them would be good.

07 July 2013
I remember experimenting with NPR once, and finding very little useful knowledge, the stuff being mostly along the lines of 'this and this software has out-of-the-box NPR rendering solutions, so just click here and here'. With that in mind, a 12-part tutorial covering the topic doesn't have a whole lot of opportunities to go wrong.

What I'd personally like to see is a more technical approach and explanation of principles (at least to an extent, to provide a foundation), so that the lessons can be applied to more than one renderer, as long as the related shading language is no mystery.

07 July 2013
I would like to see some explanations on different techniques for line work. Very few mention any methods to try and get the line work to appear as cartoony or 2D as the shading.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

07 July 2013
Be concise and open with a fast example.
Don't smack!
No mouse twitching, no "uhmm's" and try and not overuse the words "actually" and "basically".
Don't turn something that can be taught in 1 hour to 4 hours.
Don't let us wait for a 2 minute rendering while you try and fill the silence with nonsense.
No mumbling.

Also, I usually prefer a tutorial with many different projects rather than one big. That way the workflow gets repeated and is easier to grasp.

Is 2.5D relevant to toon shading? Like if you mix toon shading with regular shading? I think that looks kind of kewl.

07 July 2013
I second the line work part, tips on how to achieve nice clean pencil or inked looks

07 July 2013
Smile

Originally Posted by ChocoBob: I remember experimenting with NPR once, and finding very little useful knowledge, the stuff being mostly along the lines of 'this and this software has out-of-the-box NPR rendering solutions, so just click here and here'. With that in mind, a 12-part tutorial covering the topic doesn't have a whole lot of opportunities to go wrong.

What I'd personally like to see is a more technical approach and explanation of principles (at least to an extent, to provide a foundation), so that the lessons can be applied to more than one renderer, as long as the related shading language is no mystery.

First off thank you for replying. Second after spending most the night trying to find any detailed tutorials I have to admit I have found none. Even the one that Digital Tutors has doesn't exactly give much explanation on which Toon Shaders to use or where when it comes to Toon Shading, they simply explain what the shaders are.

That being said, here is a list of topics I'd like to cover.
1. Toon Shader Basics - The Eye and the types of Shaders and where to use them.
2. Toon Shading for Anime vs Toon Shading for Cartoons.
3. Toonlines and Contour lines
4. Advanced Toon Shading - Toon Shading various types of hair.
5. Toon Shading the body.
6. Toon Shading the clothes.
7. Adding Textures to Shaders.
8. Toon Shading Backgrounds and Props - The Do's and Don'ts.
9. Adding Glows and special FX to Toon Shaded Characters and Sets.
10. Creating Facial expressions for Toon Shaded Characters.
11. Creating a Light Setup for Toon Shaded Characters and Sets.
12. Preparing the Character for lip-syncing in Motionbuilder.
13. Toon Shading paint FX, Particle Fx and batch rendering in Maya.

Note: Project files will be added to follow along with the tutorials.
(Recently Updated)

But of course, it would be great to add more to this if I've missed anything and coming from a traditional cartoonist background I also made sure that it did not 'look' just like a Toon Shaded 3D model and focused more on the 'Traditional Look'. Only thing I'd probably add to this is how to make the movement look traditional as well. Still let me know if I missed out anything.

Last edited by artMagic : 07 July 2013 at 05:20 AM.

07 July 2013
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sthu: Be concise and open with a fast example.
Don't smack!
No mouse twitching, no "uhmm's" and try and not overuse the words "actually" and "basically".
Don't turn something that can be taught in 1 hour to 4 hours.
Don't let us wait for a 2 minute rendering while you try and fill the silence with nonsense.
No mumbling.

Also, I usually prefer a tutorial with many different projects rather than one big. That way the workflow gets repeated and is easier to grasp.

Is 2.5D relevant to toon shading? Like if you mix toon shading with regular shading? I think that looks kind of kewl.

Very good ideas, will definitely keep them in mind when doing this.

07 July 2013
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by teruchan: I would like to see some explanations on different techniques for line work. Very few mention any methods to try and get the line work to appear as cartoony or 2D as the shading.

Yes, I like that idea. Will add that in.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by ChocoBob: I remember experimenting with NPR once, and finding very little useful knowledge, the stuff being mostly along the lines of 'this and this software has out-of-the-box NPR rendering solutions, so just click here and here'. With that in mind, a 12-part tutorial covering the topic doesn't have a whole lot of opportunities to go wrong.

I agree, its why I decided to do this since we had a lot of people ask me at my last seminar how we did the Toon Shading when it was supposed to be a seminar on Animation Workflow when they found out our project was not hand drawn.

07 July 2013
Cool

Oh, just a quick update it looks like we will be doing this for 3Dmax and Lightwave as well.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by artMagic: First off thank you for replying. Second after spending most the night trying to find any detailed tutorials I have to admit I have found none. Even the one that Digital Tutors has doesn't exactly give much explanation on which Toon Shaders to use or where when it comes to Toon Shading, they simply explain what the shaders are.

That being said, here is a list of topics I'd like to cover.
1. Toon Shader Basics - The Eye and the types of Shaders and where to use them.
2. Toon Shading for Anime vs Toon Shading for Cartoons.
3. Advanced Toon Shading - Toon Shading various types of hair.
4. Toon Shading the body.
5. Toon Shading the clothes.
6. Adding Textures to Shaders.
7. Toon Shading Backgrounds - The Do's and Don'ts.
8. Adding Glows and special FX to Toon Shaded Characters and Sets.
9. Creating Facial expressions for Toon Shaded Characters.
10. Creating a Light Setup for Toon Shaded Characters and Sets.
11. Preparing the Character for lip-syncing in Motionbuilder.
12. Toon Shading paint FX and batch rendering in Maya.

But of course, it would be great to add more to this if I've missed anything and coming from a traditional cartoonist background I also made sure that it did not 'look' just like a Toon Shaded 3D model and focused more on the 'Traditional Look'. Only thing I'd probably add to this is how to make the movement look traditional as well. Still let me know if I missed out anything.

Maybe FX in general, fire, smoke, water , clouds and 'magic' and other special cases.
Toon environments and toon-style matte painting?
-Toon hard surface Vs toon organic.
Just pulling stuff out of my ass now.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: Maybe FX in general, fire, smoke, water , clouds and 'magic' and other special cases.
Toon environments and toon-style matte painting?
-Toon hard surface Vs toon organic.
Just pulling stuff out of my ass now.

I like the idea of the organic vs. hard surface. But the course is based off of one of the shows we were working on last year which is Anime-Styled/Mecha so I think it will fit in with that point pretty well.

My Avatar pic is one of the characters related to the show.

As for the Toon Environments and Matte Painting thats been added. Can't leave that out.

07 July 2013
Just an Update, I added a screen shot example of the Toon Shading in my portfolio. Let me know what you think.

07 July 2013
Sounds interesting but why 3DS or Lightwave? Why not Maya or Blender? Unless you're going to be using things that aren't software specific, I'd think you would be limiting your audience.

Thread Closed share thread