Snowpiercer Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07 July 2013   #1
Snowpiercer Trailer

Here is a minute long spot
from the director of the Host

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyhjuCH9zWQ
__________________
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS
:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

 
Old 07 July 2013   #2
It's such a contrived and illogical premise that I just can't take it seriously. I mean, really? A perpetually travelling train that goes around the planet carrying the last of humanity on board, when global warming has already destroyed the whole world, and there's an uprising on the train because of class segregation? Even the visual style looks so over-the-top in its contrivance--like a stylized MTV video that's all flash and no logic.

There were a few years when my wife and I really dug deep into Korean cinema/TV to see what it had to offer, and 95% of the time we were disappointed, because Korean storytelling tend to rely on highly contrived premises and unbearable melodrama (even by Hollywood standards). Some of the more artsy indie stuff are good though--far better than their mainstream stuff. For every Old Boy (a rare example of how something can be great even when it's contrived and melodramatic), there are a ton of crap that you'd have to wade through.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #3
Originally Posted by Lunatique: It's such a contrived and illogical premise that I just can't take it seriously. etc, etc, etc.


Your post makes me want to dive into Korean cinema. I thought the trailer for Snowpiercer looked fantastic and fun.

__________________
Art Station - Tumblr
 
Old 07 July 2013   #4
I really enjoyed The Host because its insane premise and logic made it unpredictable and felt fresh. Not sure the ludicrousness is working in this movie's favor this time, especially with the more serious tone.

It's a really interesting idea, but it is one of those things that seems more like a pitch for a video game than a movie. Not that fighting through stages and levels and bosses isn't the setup for many a movie, even some great ones, but this just seems a little too heavy handed.

Who knows, I'm sure I will watch it at some point just to find out if he made it work somehow.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #5
The only thing from Korea I could never get tired of is SNSD.
I still can't figure out which of those girls I like the best.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 07 July 2013   #6
Originally Posted by hypercube: I really enjoyed The Host because its insane premise and logic made it unpredictable and felt fresh.....


I also liked The Host. Some good movies come out of Korea. I watched Lady Vengeance a while back and it was really good.
__________________
I like to learn.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #7
There is a reason why a lot of Asian cinema doesn't make it far out of Asia. Cultural differences make it "too foreign" for the majority of mainstream audiences. As much as I love the stuff, and would love to see more people getting into it, I can totally understand why they don't. I remember seeing a Korean vampire film from, I think, the Oldboy director. It was great, for me, but I can imagine it wouldn't get much traction outside Korea. Then you have the flip side, if a director tries to make films more appealing to a western audience, like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Promise, Volcano High, Steamboy etc. They lose the audience at home and get hated by their own people.

I guess because Snowpiecer comes from a French comic book, the director attempted an even more international production than with The Host. On local sites here I found a 4 minute trailer and lots of behind the scenes material, and this looks like it could fall into the category of movies with more western appeal that might lost the local audience.

In interviews, even Chris Evans says the movie is "out there, abstract" and "different". Ed Harris and that woman who plays the ice queen in Narnia also seem to be attracted to the project because it is so different.

I can't wait to see it. I like different.
__________________
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
Learn How to Make Your Own Animated Projects!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!
 
Old 07 July 2013   #8
Originally Posted by teruchan:
I guess because Snowpiecer comes from a French comic book, the director attempted an even more international production than with The Host. On local sites here I found a 4 minute trailer and lots of behind the scenes material, and this looks like it could fall into the category of movies with more western appeal that might lost the local audience.

In interviews, even Chris Evans says the movie is "out there, abstract" and "different". Ed Harris and that woman who plays the ice queen in Narnia also seem to be attracted to the project because it is so different.

I can't wait to see it. I like different.

I have to agree the premise seems a bit of a reach.
Like 'lets to an apocalyptic class system film in a phone booth next.'
Really?!

But as you say we can blame a French comic book author for inspiring Korean the film makers.

I'm torn between interested and wanting to face palm.
 
Old 07 July 2013   #9
I think I'll be happy to suspend belief for a few hours and give it a go.
Thinking of trains what ever happened to a film based on Amtrak Wars? I thought they were going to make one several lifetimes ago.
__________________
Portfolio
Prints For Sale
Twitter
 
Old 07 July 2013   #10
Looks good enough. Might see it on BluRay. Not sure yet if I'd like to see it in cinema.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 07 July 2013   #11
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: The only thing from Korea I could never get tired of is SNSD.
I still can't figure out which of those girls I like the best.


If it was a Sophie's Choice situation, who would you choose to save?
 
Old 07 July 2013   #12
The class struggle element is what makes my eyes roll.

I like trains in snow movies--Horror Express, Runaway Train, even Terror Train, but the stories were about more than sticking it to the Man. This class struggle theme we keeping seeing lately reminds me of those 80s commercials with the bald guy jogging through a stadium and throwing a coke can (or whatever product they were selling) at a giant 1984-style dictator on a tv screen.

Giant train in snow--good
class rebellion--please not again
 
Old 07 July 2013   #13
I like the look of this and don't think I'd have difficulty with the premise the same way I don't have a problem with the outlandish premise in The City of Lost Children. At first glance I'd guess the train is a metaphor anyway.

More info and pictures here
__________________
I don't know
 
Old 07 July 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Lunatique: If it was a Sophie's Choice situation, who would you choose to save?


Jessica Jung or Tiffany because they can speak English.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 07 July 2013   #15
Those of you who do watch Korean films, any recommendations of truly excellent ones? (Besides the typical recommendations of the Old Boy/Vengeance trilogy/DMZ, My Sassy GF, etc).

Although I've seen a few good Korean films, none of them are anywhere near what I'd put on my "all-time favorites list."

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Jessica Jung or Tiffany because they can speak English.


Can't save both, dude. You know how this must end.

For me, it would be a hard choice between Taeyeon, Seohyun, and Yoona. I like Sicca too, but mostly because she's the oddball of the bunch.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.