[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Fantastic Articles on the VFX Work Of Star Trek: The Motion Picture

For me this film is the gold standard on filming fantasy space scenes.

Part One of the discussion can be found HERE - while Part Two is HERE.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Wow, just started modelling the Refit model only a day or so ago...what great timing!

I see where Taylor is coming from in this interview, but that was a tough film to push through for its deadline. I'm sure the "committee" had a lot on their plate considering all the other departments they had to manage and there was a lot riding on ST:TMP; bringing back Star Trek, getting the original actors back onboard, delivering ground breaking VFX, possibility of a new series, putting together a story to rival 2001 and Star Wars...the pressure on Gene must have been huge.

Also, science-fiction VFX suddenly jumped to incredible heights when Star Wars hit the scene; vfx crews were only just getting their heads around emerging technologies - let alone the organisation it demanded. I suppose the production of the film provided some of the story for TMP - the Enterprise wasn't ready, and her crew were feeling the worst of it. Kirk is being too pushy on Scotty and his engineers but they had to intercept the intruder in time or all would be lost...thankfully Spock showed up out of the blue to put things back on track...

Anyway, sorry for going on - I do love this film as I was born days after its release in December 1979, and I do get a kick out of the last scene and the talk of "getting this one off to a good start..."

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA

TMP was the biggest moviegoing disappointment of my life (yes, more disappointing than THE MATRIX sequels), but after a number of years I made a rough peace with it. I love the parts I love, hate the parts I hate,and imagine how much better it could have been and should have been.

There's a discussion on trekbbs on the movies forum about this Taylor interview as well, where a few of us who know way too much about TMP debate just how accurate all the recollections are. I've interviewed a couple dozen people who worked on TMP in VFX over the years, and I always ask them about it even if we're talking about a current project. It's amazing how diverse the stories are, and how divisive the points of view.

I've talked to a few people who started on Abel's team and transitioned over to Trumbull's, and one aspect is that at the main Abel building there was a lot of drug use, so the folks who were serious about doing the work apparently were at an annex or auxilliary site (that is where Con Pederson was messing around with that kinetic light sculpture thing Taylor talks about, that they were going to put in over the big light for the bridge probe.)

Taylor is WAY off about the discarded Enterprise model - it was betweeen 5 & 6 ft long, not between 2 & 3.

I still kind of wish they'd made the Trek movie that had been planned in late 76 & early 77, the one that was cancelled when STAR WARS came out. Phil Kaufman was going to direct, with Derek Meddings on miniatures, Ken Adam doing production design and Jordan Freakin' Belson doing opticals (black holes & such.) Kaufman's film, called PLANET OF THE TITANS, was going to have Toshiro Mifune as a klingon captain dueling with Spock in command of Enterprise (Kirk is missing for most of the story) and it might not have had all the STAR TREK flavor, but it would have delivered more as an action space adventure, and therefore been a lot better received in the short term.

Ken Adam had sketched out a hot version of the Enterprise that Ralph McQuarrie subsequently made into a Star Warsish mess in his artwork ... I think there are still some storyboards on McQuarrie's site, and on the forgotten trek webpage too.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 07-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Wow great post Trevanian.

I did some digging aroung I found still I think you all will like:

Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Enterprise Leaves Space Dock Sequence
And here is how the show looked on film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7mRxuuiQt8

And here is another FANTASTIC sequence from the same film:
The Klingon Attack Sequence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjd_ry0p2F0

And finally here is some Ralph McQuarrie's concept art foth the film

ST: Planet of Titans Concept Art

http://trekweb.com/articles/2010/02...rek-Movie.shtml

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 07-07-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread