Why Free 3D MODELS online?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Why Free 3D MODELS online?

Do you guys go to websites that offer free 3d models like turbosquid? and I also came across other sites that have cool models. I know that there are unique concept arts that need to be created into 3D that requires custom modeling, but do you guys think that sites that offer free 3d models kinda takes away jobs from 3D modelers if there are more and more websites that are like this??

Old 07 July 2013   #2
No. There are very rare times when a 'free' model is good enough for production. Hell, I usually end up reworking most paid for models we get to fit better into our pipeline (texture size, detail, etc).

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Originally Posted by Pyke: No. There are very rare times when a 'free' model is good enough for production. Hell, I usually end up reworking most paid for models we get to fit better into our pipeline (texture size, detail, etc).

When you say not good enough for production, do you mean that the models do not have clean topology and you have to do a lot of clean up??

What do you think of the models here? http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/free

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Its a bit of everything. Topology, detail, texture resolution. Also, there are very few occasions when you will find 'exactly' what you are looking for, so the models still require a skilled artist to go in and modify it.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
If your concept artist comes up with a new character design and it already exists as a 'free model' than they get fired. Simple.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
These free 3d models that you have downloaded before, were they low poly or high poly?

Old 07 July 2013   #7
If your work can't compete with the kinds of models that are given away for free, then perhaps this isn't a field you should be working in.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
I think you're missing the point a little...the models that are free online aren't going to be taking away jobs from artists because they are rarely useful in a professional environment.

No matter what the quality, they are going to be reworked to fit what you need them to do, and the person that reworks them is going to be a modeller.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Originally Posted by leigh: If your work can't compete with the kinds of models that are given away for free, then perhaps this isn't a field you should be working in.

I know a few people whose models are in that level but managed to get a job in the field...but they are not earning more than $40,000 a year in salary

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: I know a few people whose models are in that level but managed to get a job in the field...but they are not earning more than $40,000 a year in salary

If this is their first job it sounds about right.
If they are CG veterans with years of experience than they probably are doing 'something' wrong with their careers.

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Originally Posted by circusboy: If this is their first job it sounds about right.
If they are CG veterans with years of experience than they probably are doing 'something' wrong with their careers.

I agree....as years go by, in any job, if you are not improving, there's a problem there...

Old 07 July 2013   #12
In my experience, working in a company who have used both bespoke models and free models, the ones we created from design at a concept level, were fit to our needs as a company and tailored for what we wanted. The free ones (and even the bought ones) still needed tailoring due to technical issues.

Sometimes the free ones aren't good enough outright and not worth the time working them for what is needed. Other times, they're right to build on. Sometimes the bought ones are just right but, most of the time, they also need working on. We used someone who has a great deal of industry experience to handle our 3D work and he was paid really well.

Turbosquid should only be used as a basis to build on, at most. Otherwise, its best to have something designed and built to the spec needed. That way, a consistent look and theme can be maintained and also costs and be managed more effectively.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Last edited by shrunkendesigner : 07 July 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: I know a few people whose models are in that level but managed to get a job in the field...but they are not earning more than $40,000 a year in salary

I'm not really sure what your point is.

Old 07 July 2013   #14
Originally Posted by leigh: I'm not really sure what your point is.

Old 07 July 2013   #15
Dey dook our deeers!!!

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Thread Closed share thread