Are these CAD images?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Question Are these CAD images?

A company liked my portfolio consisting of graphic design and some illustration. I'm supposed to do a test and create images like those attached. The first 2 more detailed ones look like possibly photoshop/illustrator, as I don't think a CAD program can do such detailed peel away cross sections. Am I wrong here?
The last one look like a regular CAD program. True?

I took a class in Autocad back in '07 and it was very basic so I'm not truly fluent in what the programs are capable of.
I know a little Sketchup, though I'll have to refresh on it. I'm thinking if I do images like the more detailed angled images, I'll have to use Illustrator and Photoshop. Is this the best approach?

Thank you for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA_Crash_Course_Roof_Venting_FHB-26.jpg (60.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg PA_Crash_Course_Roof_Venting_FHB-73.jpg (53.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg BSI-009_Crawlspace_2010r2-8.jpg (57.5 KB, 109 views)

**Depeche Mode**

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Hey man,

That last one just looks like a vector illustration. You can make things like that in Illustrator.

-AJ

Old 07 July 2013   #3
The second image is just a zoomed in view of part of the first image. Like AJ1 said, the third image doesn't even look like a CAD image. I hope that Autocad class didn't cost too much, as it seems you're way out of touch with what modern CAD software is capable of: https://www.google.com/search?q=cad+images&tbm=isch

Old 07 July 2013   #4
The first two are 3d renders from a 3d/cad program, the last is likely a flat illustrator project.

If youve got very little experience with 3d software, youre going to be in for one hell of a learning curve for that first image...

Old 07 July 2013   #5
If you are just reproducing 'hand' illustrations into a more finessesed form, I would take a look at SketchUp, and then colour it in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Those 2 first images could be done by a skilled SketchUp artist in about an hour or 2 (provided accuracy wasnt that important).

Old 07 July 2013   #6
The last image is most likely done in a CAD program, like AutoCAD or ArchiCAD, then exported to Illustrator for coloring. This is a very common workflow in architecture.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Thank you. And the CAD class was beginner so obviously I wouldn't know much about its rendering capabilities.
Yes I know (or knew) 3ds Max but haven't played w/it for years. I don't intend to use a program like that to do these.
Pyke, yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing.
plastic--that's what I thought too.

**Depeche Mode**

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread