New Portfolio method for business/marketing/artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #16
Too 'precious' a method of portfolio delivery. It says to me:
"Please treasure my reel submission to you...until the day you die."
I don't want to do that-but WHAT do I do with it after I've viewed it?

I wonder if you can deliver them with the volume pre-set?! Nothing says "hire -me-today" like Slayer turned to eleven and those precious few seconds it takes the viewer to find a volume control!

Old 07 July 2013   #17
Originally Posted by teruchan: I know a guy who sent his portfolio in an old style milk crate. I can't remember if it had actual milk in it. Anyway, it got him the job.... at Pixar.

Yeah but you can't say the milk crate got him the job, his reel did. In all likelihood he would have gotten the job even if he'd sent his reel in a regular slipcase.

It must be the European mindset that my parents raised me with, but I find big, attention-seeking presentations ostentatious, not creative. To me, someone who sends their reel in a milk crate looks like an arrogant show off. Whether or not that's the case, that's nevertheless my initial view.

Old 07 July 2013   #18
This reminds me way too much of Tobias Funke and his glitter bombs.

Old 07 July 2013   #19
Wasteful as all hell, but I can see these being used for high-end corporate sales materials and the like. It almost seems like an updated version of something like the U.S. Steel books Syd Mead did back in the 60s: High quality, small run "gifts" for big investors, board members, etc.

As a tool to get a job in CGI, it's huge over-kill. As a graduate of a top design school, I saw a lot of effort being expended on presentations of all kinds, but the general rule is always, Your work better be able to cash the checks your ass writes. In other words, your gimmick has to get their attention, and your work has to overcome the gimmick. If it doesn't, you look like a fool.

Old 07 July 2013   #20
This looks useless. If having a tacky presentation medium is what gets you a job, it's probably a job you don't want, and let's face it, if you have $250 to spend on this crap, you don't need a job.

Old 07 July 2013   #21
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: This reminds me way too much of Tobias Funke and his glitter bombs.

Haha! Tobias is a legend.

Old 07 July 2013   #22
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: This reminds me way too much of Tobias Funke and his glitter bombs.

This might be something Gob would come up with, too.

"Aha, but still, where did the lighter fluid come from?"

Old 07 July 2013   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread