New Portfolio method for business/marketing/artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
New Portfolio method for business/marketing/artists

I'm sure this isn't cost effective for students, but for business and well funded artists, it could be a really neat portfolio.

http://www.tvinacard.co.uk/index-2.html

May not be cost effective to mass produce as giveaways, however, could work as a presentation tool or a leave-behind to pick later. In the past, art directors used to have portfolio drop-off and pick-up times. If they liked your work, you would get a call back at some point.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 06 June 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
As a presentation tool this is terrible.

You're locked in to a single presentation on a small screen that's a throw away. An iPad or laptop are far better for this.

As a give away it's far too expensive.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
I get the impression you could use it as a shell and change the content via usb.
At roughly $250 for a one off, it's too expensive but if they could provide 7" ones in limited quantities ~10 for $100 each, it becomes an alternative to traditional board presentations.

On an environmental level, it seems wasteful. At least we can easily recycle presentation boards.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
it would be a far better idea to make custom tablet sleeves.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
To over the top in my opinion, kinda tacky too.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Where are you seeing pricing? If they're actually $250 each, you could just give them a Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7 for $199 or stretch to $300ish and hand off an iPad Mini. Better resolution AND they're usable tablets.

If you're being that ostentatious that you're trying to tell them you're so ballin' that you have that kind of cash to throw away on a brochure, why not go all the way?

Or light some money or poor people on fire for them to read by if the screen isn't bright enough.

Anyway, I'm sure for who it's for, it's for them, and saying you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on disposable direct advertising to them is a message in and of itself.

But for other people, the price would definitely have to come down before it's not only over the top but not even cost effective.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
I dont like the card concept. You might find this interedting though.I think this would be great for construction industries. Just as long as you dont need to communicate more than four stages.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Dg1W...v%3DDg1WsP_sdRg

Old 06 June 2013   #8
It looks cool, but all I can really think of is how wasteful it seems. It would be suited for wedding videos and things like that where it will be viewed by a lot of people. But for a portfolio that the viewer will watch probably only once, I think it's wasteful and sends out the wrong signal to a prospective client. I for one would be turned off anyone wasting money and resources in this manner.

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Getting your portfolio noticed within a stack of portfolios is something worth thinking about but, with novel ideas like this, I don't think the TV Card concept is a cost effective way of doing it and, as jdollus said, think of the environmental impact too! Why won't someone think of the children!?

From what I've seen, the best approach to a portfolio is a big folder that has nice, high res prints of your work inside removable sleeves. This would allow you to mix it up and change it depending on who you'd be sending it to plus, it enables people to take out the images and look at them closely etc.

I used to like the idea of having a book printed up through Blurb or something, but this limits the edibility greatly where as, now, I think it makes sense to have a version on the iPad and an A3 sized folder.

It also pays to just have a good, clean, orderly website too.

In regards to getting noticed, I read a story in a book a while ago where the author mentioned that a young designer had sent a box of live crickets to an art director's office. It got him noticed, but for the wrong reasons... but at least he was thinking creatively.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Originally Posted by hypercube: Or light some money or poor people on fire for them to read by

My thoughts exactly.

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Anyone come up with good ways of getting your portfolio in front of people on the cheap?
Cheap being about 1-2 that's $1.50- $3

Old 07 July 2013   #12
My friend got a job at MPC by sending out tiny copies of her portfolio (3x1.5 inch) inside a christmas cracker, they probably ended up costing less than a quid each.

Old 07 July 2013   #13
Originally Posted by Clanger: Anyone come up with good ways of getting your portfolio in front of people on the cheap?
Cheap being about 1-2 that's $1.50- $3

A CD with your name written on it with a sharpie? Honestly, I find this whole idea of slick presentation pretty tacky and pointless.

And as for these TV in a card things, the word that comes to mind is ostentatious. Yuck.

Old 07 July 2013   #14
I know a guy who sent his portfolio in an old style milk crate. I can't remember if it had actual milk in it. Anyway, it got him the job.... at Pixar.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2013   #15
LOL, good insight from everyone. I like the milk cart idea. I still think the Sandtrooper resume/portfolio drop off was the best ever.

I can appreciate some the views from an "artist getting a job point of view", however, those marketing for large contracts to bring into a business that will employ several artists, usually have to do unique and occasionally extravagant promotional stuff to get attention and business . Words like "tacky" may come to mind, but when marketing folks are at trade shows, large conferences and whatever, these things really get the buzz and excitement going towards your company, not the competitors.

Of course at our last conference, one of our competitors was shooting screaming monkey sling shots through through the air. Completely annoying. One landed on our booth and one of the staff stabbed it several times with our screwdriver promo items we had on hand.

getting a $50k-$100k worth of work for yourself is one thing, but when you've got to carry a department or get work of for a whole company, sometimes just building relationships isn't enough, you have to get an ice breaker or door opener. One of the previous companies I worked for easily spend several millions of dollars in marketing. Some companies might even spend about 10%-15%+ of their yearly take for promotion and marketing.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 07 July 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Thread Closed share thread