CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist
Billericay, United Kingdom
I've had the joy of hiring someone for a project I've worked on once and, what really, really annoyed me, was the sheer bulk of irrelevant work that was sent to me.

I think beyond showing only your best work, and grabbing attention straight away, you have to be mindful of who you're sending your portfolio/reel too. Tailor it for your viewer. If you're applying for a concept designer role, don't put your fine art paintings in there for instance. I think that is just as important as the order in which you show your work.

Strong work in the front and back. Oh, and why not strong work throughout? If something in there doesn't feel like it holds up, pull it. Cut it out. Less, higher quality work says more and a long portfolio bulked out with weaker work.

You have to be hard on yourself. I'm guilty of it too, when I look at a piece I've done and I feel attached to it. This is why its good to get objective views on your portfolio from time to time.

Oh, and if you're a Flash animator, DONT SEND IN STICKMEN FIGHTING!!! No project manager or art director cares or wants to see this.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
Be Water My Friend
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA
*From a small studio (3-10 staff artists + freelancers) perspective*

I move quick through portfolios. Usually turn off the sound if it's annoying or just background music. I fast forward unless something catches my eye, and if I can't get past the first 15-30 seconds, it gets ditched. Back in the video tape era, reels where a real bitch to process through. We totally scrubbed through them and cut a 2-3 minute reel down to a 15 second review.

That being said, if the initial work is strong and high quality, I will take the time to actually explore their portfolio and investigate their foundation, motivation and other available info. Once I'm locked into a talent, I then want to see their actual work flow habits and spend a little time learning about them.

Nothing pisses me off more than a cumbersome website with too much flash or mouse clicking and having to click around a screen. I want to see the work fast and pick and choose, not be forced through some linear line and wait for overhead crap to process or worse, play a guessing game. Plus, I use a phone often when I'm not in the office, so speed and efficiency (think easy access) are key.

You need something to "hook" a buyer's/employer's interest. Think about how some people buy houses. First you filter through listings, then photos, then drive bys. Usually you've sifted through several and honed into a few before deciding to invest a little time in actually opening a door to explore.

Start strong, be brutally honest with yourself and stick the substandard work in a archive or ditch all together.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 07-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #18
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Vancouver, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
the following order of work can't go wrong:
put your best work first
follow it by your best work
finish with your best work.

under no circumstances should your primary reel be longer than 3 minutes (including title cards). watching reels is boring....
Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
CGSociety Staff
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Zerflag
under no circumstances should your primary reel be longer than 3 minutes (including title cards).

The title cards thing is a good point; I've lost count of the number of reels I've seen over the years where the artist has done a long, elaborate animation of their name. Don't do this.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
I'm just a CosmicBear
creative director
London, United Kingdom
Send a message via AIM to CosmicBear Send a message via Yahoo to CosmicBear
Originally Posted by leigh
The title cards thing is a good point; I've lost count of the number of reels I've seen over the years where the artist has done a long, elaborate animation of their name. Don't do this.

or hold them for 30 seconds. 5 is enough. i do know how to rewind a video
I'm just a CosmicBear from another galaxy... gosh, i'm so homesick
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread